Visiting internship locations - COVID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetmed-mirrorball

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone from the past few years had experience applying to SA-rotating internships without visiting programs as an externship (due to COVID or other reasons). I am currently in year 3 and planning my 4th year rotations. My original plan was to do a few externship rotations at my (current) top programs. That may change (hopefully) but it may not. Any advice for getting a feel for programs and/or networking without visiting?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone from the past few years had experience applying to SA-rotating internships without visiting programs as an externship (due to COVID or other reasons). I am currently in year 3 and planning my 4th year rotations. My original plan was to do a few externship rotations at my (current) top programs. I am in Canada and want to go to the USA. As of now my school is not allowing travel across the border for rotations. That may change (hopefully) but it may not. Any advice for getting a feel for programs and/or networking without visiting?
Fellow Canadian applying to mostly US programs in the Match this year. I haven't visited anywhere, and to be honest I never intended to (the paperwork was too much of a PITA and it would be super expensive compared to just doing externals in Canada). My school requires that you schedule externships in fall of 3rd year, and I had no idea what internship programs I would be wanting in 4th year at that time. I think with Covid a lot of places are being more flexible about the not visiting thing, and a lot of academic places don't really "require" it anyway.

What I've been doing is just emailing every single program I'm considering and chatting to the program director, and getting information to contact the current interns. I've made a pretty thorough list of questions and I would send a portion of those questions to each intern (usually the same questions to several so that I always had more than one opinion for each one). It's been really time-consuming, but I feel that it has given me a pretty good idea of what I would be getting myself into.

For networking, just seeing who around my institution has ties to places I want was useful. I found out that a locum here was from my #1, so I made a point of cornering them in the hallway one day to introduce myself and chat (which then led to them telling me to email them so they could pass my name along to the internship committee). And being fairly open with the faculty about where I was thinking I wanted to go resulted in a lot of suggestions from them on people I should reach out to. Also just chatting with faculty/residents/interns to see where they've been and which places they would or wouldn't recommend. If you are friendly and social in the clinic, the networking just automatically comes with it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fellow Canadian applying to mostly US programs in the Match this year. I haven't visited anywhere, and to be honest I never intended to (the paperwork was too much of a PITA and it would be super expensive compared to just doing externals in Canada). My school requires that you schedule externships in fall of 3rd year, and I had no idea what internship programs I would be wanting in 4th year at that time. I think with Covid a lot of places are being more flexible about the not visiting thing, and a lot of academic places don't really "require" it anyway.

What I've been doing is just emailing every single program I'm considering and chatting to the program director, and getting information to contact the current interns. I've made a pretty thorough list of questions and I would send a portion of those questions to each intern (usually the same questions to several so that I always had more than one opinion for each one). It's been really time-consuming, but I feel that it has given me a pretty good idea of what I would be getting myself into.

For networking, just seeing who around my institution has ties to places I want was useful. I found out that a locum here was from my #1, so I made a point of cornering them in the hallway one day to introduce myself and chat (which then led to them telling me to email them so they could pass my name along to the internship committee). And being fairly open with the faculty about where I was thinking I wanted to go resulted in a lot of suggestions from them on people I should reach out to. Also just chatting with faculty/residents/interns to see where they've been and which places they would or wouldn't recommend. If you are friendly and social in the clinic, the networking just automatically comes with it.
thank you!! This was super helpful :)

Would you mind sharing some of the questions you've found it most helpful to ask? Obviously some probably pertain to your particular area of interest, but anything more applicable to the hospital, work/life balance in general would be helpful!

On a thread I posted recently, someone suggested asking about how inpatients are handled (i.e. are you responsible for coming in on your scheduled days off to care for them vs handing them off to the doctors on duty) because they felt that it was something that impacted their QOL during their internship year.

Would you mind sharing some of the questions you've found it most helpful to ask? Obviously some probably pertain to your particular area of interest, but anything more applicable to the hospital, work/life balance in general would be helpful!

On a thread I posted recently, someone suggested asking about how inpatients are handled (i.e. are you responsible for coming in on your scheduled days off to care for them vs handing them off to the doctors on duty) because they felt that it was something that impacted their QOL during their internship year.
If you PM me I can pass along my question list. From what you said in the VIRMP match thread we have very different goals/priorities for our internships so my questions might not be as helpful for you.