"Visiting" Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pirateyoho

Mizzou c/o 2019
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I know you're supposed to visit places you're interested in applying for residency, but I'm curious if there's a difference between setting these visits up vs. arranging a typical 2+-week externship with the program.

I ask because a veterinarian at my CVM recently gave a piece of advice to folks interested in applying for residency to "spend a couple days" visiting the programs they're interested in, but I'm wondering if it's the norm for visits to be that brief? I have some 2-week long externships set up at a couple of places I'm interested in applying to, and I'd like to visit more, but I definitely don't have 2 weeks to spare in my clinical years for each institution I'm looking at.

So what I'm wondering is, is it acceptable to email a program to ask to spend just a few days, rather than a full-blown 2-week externship? I'm not sure what the convention for this is and was hoping someone more familiar could elucidate it for me!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is fine. I guess the only caveat is that I'm in path where it's less client-centric and a little easier to chit chat with someone about the place while working. I visited one school for three weeks, another for two weeks, and one just for one day when I was traveling through the area. When I went to NCSU for only that one day, the place was more than happy to meet with me, introduce me around, they showed me their facilities, and then gave me 30 minute blocks to meet with each of their residents and faculty members. If someone came to my current institution we'd probably do the same. I visited the hospital I eventually matched to for internship for 4 days, and I really don't think I would have matched otherwise. Obviously a longer visit will give you longer to see the program and let them get to know you better, but even being able to put a face to a name is helpful.

So, I know you're supposed to visit places you're interested in applying for residency, but I'm curious if there's a difference between setting these visits up vs. arranging a typical 2+-week externship with the program.

I ask because a veterinarian at my CVM recently gave a piece of advice to folks interested in applying for residency to "spend a couple days" visiting the programs they're interested in, but I'm wondering if it's the norm for visits to be that brief? I have some 2-week long externships set up at a couple of places I'm interested in applying to, and I'd like to visit more, but I definitely don't have 2 weeks to spare in my clinical years for each institution I'm looking at.

So what I'm wondering is, is it acceptable to email a program to ask to spend just a few days, rather than a full-blown 2-week externship? I'm not sure what the convention for this is and was hoping someone more familiar could elucidate it for me!

Thanks in advance!
It's better than nothing. The key (or at least what has been said to me over and over) is that you want them to get to know you beyond what's on paper. If they like you beyond your paper application (like they think you'll be great to work with), your chances shoot up immensely. It also gives you a better idea if you're willing to spend time at the place. It doesn't always take two weeks for those feelings to develop.

I do know a resident that was picked over multiple outstanding applicants who beat her out on paper just because she had externed there, so they knew her well and they loved her. However, if you can't do it, you just can't. Hell, I'm not even sure I'll be able to swing a couple of days anywhere I'm hoping to match to. Get in what you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never spent >3 days at an institution while visiting places, and only visited 2 schools when I was applying for residencies. Only had 2 weeks of vacation during my rotating internship and no elective time, so I didn't really have another option.

I did a lot of research before scheduling externships in order to prioritize where I wanted to spend my precious few externships. I picked places that had residency programs I was interested in. I also spent a day visiting another place that was lower on my list but still interesting during my vacation block. Finally, I had spent a summer doing a fellowship at the place I'm now working. Honestly, the more time you spend at a place, the better you get a feel for not just the program, but the people you'll be working with there. I ranked the place I'm at now #1, partially due to the program structure, but also because I knew the people and knew I'd enjoy my time based on the summer I spent here.

The caveat here is of course that I'm doing a lab animal residency which doesn't require the 1 year internship ahead of time, but I just wanted to emphasize the fact that not only is spending more time good for a program to get to know you but it's also a good chance for you to get to know the program. Spending 2 weeks there will likely give you a better feel than 4 days, and 4 days will be better than 1 day, etc.

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks in advance!
Hi OP,

This is an excellent question, one I have struggled with myself. I recently returned from 6 weeks (straight) of off-site externships. I attend vet school at NC State, and completed these experiences in Seattle, WA and Portland, OR. As you mentioned, off-site externships aren't cheap, and require a significant investment of time and money. That being said, I'm glad that I ponied up the cash and traveled to these sites. I entered veterinary school 100% committed to pursuing a residency in Lab Animal Medicine. I deliberately returned to vet school following a successful career in research to become a lab animal vet. This was my singular focus throughout school. I busted my hump gaining experience throughout my vet school years as well. Throughout the school year, I worked part-time for NCSU faculty, and pursued off-site lab animal opportunities every chance that I got (summers, electives, etc.). As a result of my cumulative experience, I have recently decided that this will not be the path I take following graduation. I have decided to opt out of a residency, and search for employment directly following graduation from vet school (either in industry, or the government). I have many reasons for making this decision. I wouldn't have been able to sort out my feelings about the choice, however, had I not had direct experience at a number of different institutions. Residency is a wonderful choice- for some, not for all. You need to be honest with yourself about what you really want out of your life and career. Two days in a place doesn't really give you a great feel for the culture of the group, or what life is like in that particular location. You get a very superficial graze, if that. You need to invest sufficient time to see the good/bad, up/down of the department/group you are considering, and ask yourself 'can I see myself here,' 'can this institution provide me with the skills/knowledge/etc. that I need to move ahead with the career I envision for myself?' You need to do some deep digging while you're reviewing programs. Be careful not to dive in because you think it's your only option, or because professor X told you this is the next step to take. It has to feel right, and for the feeling to be genuine, it takes some time.

I had a similar strategy to @kcoughli in planning my externships. In fact, we externed at a few of the same institutions (a year apart). I also could not afford to visit every institution to which I planned to apply- in time or money. There is a lot that goes into an off-site externship: Travel to the site, lodging, board, public transport, parking (if your'e at a academic institution), and other ancillary expenses add up. There's also the practical considerations. Do you have pets? Who will look after them for weeks on end? Although I don't find 2-3 days to be sufficient to get an accurate feel for a place, I also find some time requirements excessive- 4 weeks is overkill. 1-2 weeks should do the job. If you're looking into multiple places for residency, try to group your experiences by 'type.' For example, I visited residency sites that varied by program structure, areas of emphasis, and length of training. All were different, all had strengths and weaknesses. It is important for me to get a personal sense of where I'll be living- could I see myself living where these institutions are located? Again, there are many considerations- can I afford to live there given a resident's salary? Am I willing to live with others to make it work? Does the area have what I'm looking for to 'round out' my life outside of the job? What's the commute like? These are all decisions that you'll have to make.

Despite the cost, visiting residency sites during your fourth year (and before) is a win-win. You never lose, no matter the outcome. In my case, I decided to take my career in a different direction. That's a major win, even though I decided against the residency. I win because I have a very clear sense of what I want, what I'm willing to tolerate, and, most importantly, what I'm not. The institution wins because they won't be getting an applicant whose heart isn't fully in the game they're offering. Neither 'side' is bad, the process is rather optimized. Whether your offsite experiences convince you to stay your original course or pursue a different path, you and the institution stand to gain.

I have one off-site experience left, and I'm using a vacation block to complete it because I've used up all of the official externship slots that NCSU gives me. It's a 12 hour drive from Raleigh, and well worth the time. This experience is based at a private company, one that I've targeted for jobs. It is undoubtedly worth the sacrifice in time and money to make it happen. Two week working interviews are hard to come by.

Hope that these thoughts are helpful. Do the best you can to optimize your schedule for the most significant pay-off. Overall, I think that traveling to sufficient externship sites to make a firm decision about your future is worth its weight in gold. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

@kcoughli....our paths will be sure to cross in the future, despite my opting out of the traditional training route. Hope that things are well at UIC!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for the responses! They were an immense help!