Visitor visa questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masks

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am BDS graduate practicing in India. I am now planning to come to US on a visitor visa to write NBDE exams. Though my sister is in US, I am not mentioning about it anywhere nor they are sponsoring me.

Can anyone tell me what would be the risk in attempting to come on a visitor visa. What are the chances of getting rejected ?

I am married, have a kid and my husband works in a govt hospital. We have a clinic as well. Would these be adequate to convince the consulate officer of my strong ties to India.

Any suggestion on this are greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I am BDS graduate practicing in India. I am now planning to come to US on a visitor visa to write NBDE exams. Though my sister is in US, I am not mentioning about it anywhere nor they are sponsoring me.

Can anyone tell me what would be the risk in attempting to come on a visitor visa. What are the chances of getting rejected ?

I am married, have a kid and my husband works in a govt hospital. We have a clinic as well. Would these be adequate to convince the consulate officer of my strong ties to India.

The US Dept. of Homeland Security considers everyone coming to the USA to have intentions of immigrating, unless they prove otherwise. Although leaving family behind is a strong indication that a visitor will return, it is also a strong indication that the visitor might opt to remain illegally, work and send money back home. This has surely happened thousands of times before and they are aware of that.

US embassies scrutinize supporting documents of an applicant for authenticiy. These include bank statements, property titles, income tax returns, pay slips, etc.
The fraud investigation department of these offices are updated on the current trends to spot fakes. If you present any, you will be blacklisted and will never be permitted to enter the US as a visitor or a resident.

You might have a better chance of getting a visitor visa if you would attend a
Dental Convention held in the US and travel with a group.

Good luck on your interview.

Ivorinedust

"Apolonia, relieve my toothache!"

So your goal is to construct an intricate story with lots of evidence to show that you intend to return to India, so that once in the US you can attempt to NOT return to India?

I wish health care professionals coming here had a bit more "calibration" of their ethical compass.

Anyway, good luck lying to the Consulate. They'll probably see right through it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

hi mam i am also from india(mumbai) i am in final yr of b.d.s and want the answer of the same question, if u get the answer then please tell me and when you r planing to go for the exam,
please tell.
bye
my email id is :- [email protected]
AJAY

i think it would have been better if you mentioned your sister&said that you guys were planning to take a trip to US to see her
i believe you have sufficient ties to prove that you would return......... also i would suggest that your kid(if u have one) and husband apply with you because someone i know were rejected because they did not apply as a family .
they take this stand becoz of some legal complications that may occur during divorce cases etc. these are just suggestions
also mentioning that your husband works with state govt will help
even now i think you have fair chances of getting a visa so all the best.

i would say tell them the complete truth like why ur coming to us,when ur planning to go,is any relative or friend is there in us or not.its always better this way

So your goal is to construct an intricate story with lots of evidence to show that you intend to return to India, so that once in the US you can attempt to NOT return to India?

I wish health care professionals coming here had a bit more "calibration" of their ethical compass.

Anyway, good luck lying to the Consulate. They'll probably see right through it.

Hold your horses, Jaybe:

masks never mentioned that she is not planning to return. It was I who said that many people come here, leave family behind and stay illegally. It does not mean she is one of them.

She just said she wanted to take NDBE 1. She could be planning to do that for self-assessment, or maybe for future admission into a US school, but it won't get her too far as with staying-here-for-good is concerned. If she follows the laws, then her visit is perfectly legitimate and she deserves a visitor visa. FYI, the NDBE does not disqualify candidates based on visa or residence. It is an academic free for all, if you will, and any dental student or graduate can take it regardless of residency status.

She merely asked of the risks involved when applying for a visa. I surmise she only wanted to know the odds of being rejected if she leaves family and work behind, because she considers those strong ties back home. Apparently, they are not, so she needs something more convincing. But she need not lie to the consuls.

Ivorinedust

Hold your horses, Jaybe:

masks never mentioned that she is not planning to return. It was I who said that many people come here, leave family behind and stay illegally. It does not mean she is one of them.

She just said she wanted to take NDBE 1. She could be planning to do that for self-assessment, or maybe for future admission into a US school, but it won't get her too far as with staying-here-for-good is concerned. If she follows the laws, then her visit is perfectly legitimate and she deserves a visitor visa. FYI, the NDBE does not disqualify candidates based on visa or residence. It is an academic free for all, if you will, and any dental student or graduate can take it regardless of residency status.

She merely asked of the risks involved when applying for a visa. I surmise she only wanted to know the odds of being rejected if she leaves family and work behind, because she considers those strong ties back home. Apparently, they are not, so she needs something more convincing. But she need not lie to the consuls.

Ivorinedust

My gratuitous apologies to the OP if indeed she is truly intending to come to the US to take the NBDE 1 just for "self assessment". I just find it hard to believe someone might want to spend thousands of dollars to fly across the world to take an exam that has no relevance in their own country, just for "self assessment".

And by the way, I have no problem with someone coming to the US to take the Board. My wife did it. And she didn't lie or deceive in order to obtain her visa. I only have a problem with people acting unethically in order to gain opportunity to join my profession. My reason is that we have a largely self regulated dental profession in the US, which is what gives us such wonderful autonomy. I don't want deceit from dentists, US born or Foreign Born, to create problems for our profession.

Keep in mind, those US Consular officials are Human Lie Detectors. They are quick to discern dubious intentions.

I gave ny NDB too in DEC 05'. I came to US on visitor visa. During my interview I told them I am going to appear for NDB exams. They asked for my degreee certificate, a letter from my employer where I am currently working and my cousins invitation letter.
I guess you should tell them you are going for an exam rather than visiting your relatives/friends.
Hope that helps.

but how to convert visitor visa to student visa if i m intended to study there??

but how to convert visitor visa to student visa if i m intended to study there??

That "conversion" can only happen if you are admitted into a dental school, most, if not all, schools are authorized to issue you the required documents that you will need for the student visa, but again, only after you are admitted.