Vita question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voyeurofthemind

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the general consensus?

Do you list the award amount of scholarships (both internal and external) under an awards received section if you have one on your vita or should you just list the name of the scholarship?

e.g.

The Johnson Foundation Psychology Endowment, August 2012
$15,000

Members don't see this ad.

I've been told to list the award amount (a $1000 grant is different from receiving a $10000 grant) but I'm sure you will hear different accounts from people--it's probably one of those things that varies by preference / what your institution suggests.

You absolutely list it for grants. When I see them for people who don't list the amount, you assume it is a small amount.

I am not as sure about scholarships. I don't see a reason why not to list it...it's money they give you based on your merit. It isn't a bad thing no matter what.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're talking about scholarship for college, I was told not to list the amount by my PI. If you're talking about grants/funding for research, I would say list it.

If you're talking about scholarship for college, I was told not to list the amount by my PI. If you're talking about grants/funding for research, I would say list it.

Would that include merit-based awards received as an advanced undergrad? I stupidly didn't write down some of those totals at the time (in the $1000s), now can't remember 'em or find the info on the Internet or elsewhere (it's been some time since I was an UG). :rolleyes:

Would that include merit-based awards received as an advanced undergrad? I stupidly didn't write down some of those totals at the time (in the $1000s), now can't remember 'em or find the info on the Internet or elsewhere (it's been some time since I was an UG). :rolleyes:

I'm just an applicant myself, so take what I say with a grain of salt...
But I'm not sure what you mean by an "advanced undergrad". But for my example- I got a full ride merit-based 4 year scholarship, totaling up to ~$50K/year = ~$200,000 total, and while I did not tell my PI the extent of the scholarship, she said there's no need to include the amount on there. I have never received my own grant or fellowship/funding for research, so I cannot speak to that.

I'm just an applicant myself, so take what I say with a grain of salt...
But I'm not sure what you mean by an "advanced undergrad". But for my example- I got a full ride merit-based 4 year scholarship, totaling up to ~$50K/year = ~$200,000 total, and while I did not tell my PI the extent of the scholarship, she said there's no need to include the amount on there. I have never received my own grant or fellowship/funding for research, so I cannot speak to that.

wow--congrats! that's a nice award!

"advanced undergrad" was supposed to be a non-sexist version of "upperclassmen." :laugh:
i was referring to the type of awards you get close to graduation for achievements in the major, uni-wide merit, etc.

No this is additional money to be used while in my doc program. Not college scholarships -- I am thinking about how it would be viewed on a vita when I am applying to internships.

wow--congrats! that's a nice award!

"advanced undergrad" was supposed to be a non-sexist version of "upperclassmen." :laugh:
i was referring to the type of awards you get close to graduation for achievements in the major, uni-wide merit, etc.

You got MONEY for good grades?!! :eek:

You got MONEY for good grades?!! :eek:

i think i won four monetary awards in my last UG year: one for research, one for community activism, one related to one of my majors (which encompassed all of the above in relation to the major), and one which was campus-wide that encompassed academic achievement, community work, essay writing and an interview by a large panel.

Its very common to list it for true research grants (i.e. National Institutes of Mental Health, "This is the name of my project", Principal Investigator, 2012-2013, $150,000). Actually I've ever seen anyone with grants who DIDN'T list the amount. I rarely see it listed for scholarships and the like, but don't really see any harm in it. I think mine still lists what I got from the university honors program as an undergrad as it was a pretty significant sum. That said, this will likely get chopped out sometime in the near future as I doubt my undergrad honors scholarship will count for squat on the job market.

Interestingly, NIH biosketch instructions specifically directs you NOT to include the amount of the direct costs though if its through a well-known funding agency obviously anyone reviewing it can get a ballpark estimate just be seeing the mechanism, and depending on the agency, could probably look it up.