Vitamin B12 - SubQ vs. IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GreyFox2002

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got a script today for B12 subQ. I have never seen an order for B12 subQ and did not know you could give it that route. Anyone know if there is really a difference? Or does it not matter. I looked it up under Clinical Pharmacology and it did say you can give B12 either IM or via "deep subcutaneous injection," whatever that implies.
 
I got a script today for B12 subQ. I have never seen an order for B12 subQ and did not know you could give it that route. Anyone know if there is really a difference? Or does it not matter. I looked it up under Clinical Pharmacology and it did say you can give B12 either IM or via "deep subcutaneous injection," whatever that implies.

Release rate would be expected to be different, but I don't know of any clinical significance.

I wonder if they have comparative studies on IM/SQ vs SL.