Aug 4, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Can someone please explain how does vitamin D toxicity lead to impaired concentration of urine in DCT leading to polydipsia and polyuria?
Thanks

dfib slim

7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Can someone please explain how does vitamin D toxicity lead to impaired concentration of urine in DCT leading to polydipsia and polyuria?
Thanks
Vit D toxicity --> Hypercalcemia --> Nephrogenic DI through incompletely understood mechanisms. Possibly by tubulointerstitial injury or inhibition of loop sodium chloride reabsorption.

Saxappeal1

M.D.
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ehh, if the mechanism isn't completely understood I guess we aren't expected to understand it; but tubulointerstitial injury makes sense I guess-- is it possible for the hypercalcemia to cause calcium deposits to solidify in the DCT, resulting in some sort of physical injury to the receptors in the DCT?

Phloston

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2012
Osaka, Japan
dfib slim has pretty much nailed it. Hypercalcemia, through debated mechanisms, can cause "direct tubular damage" (what I remember from questions) and a lack of response to ADH.

lymphocyte

2+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2015
COPD 50/50 Club
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Clinically there's a distinction between partial and complete nephrogenic DI (and one extremely annoying UWorld question I still remember 2 years later). Hypercalcemic crisis causes partial nephrogenic DI, so you still maintain some capacity to concentrate urine. The mechanism isn't that controversial. Down-regulation of aquaporin-2 channels in the medulla.

upload_2016-8-16_21-49-13.png

http://www.the-aps.org/mm/publications/journals/pim/sands-pdf.pdf

Saxappeal1

M.D.
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Lymphocyte so the hypercalcemia down regulates the ADH receptors in the medulla, but only partially? What sort of condition or causes would cause a complete nephrogenic DI?