VitD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tasar1898

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow students , I have a question about Vit D…

Does activated VIT D (calcitriol ) have a DIRECT effect on ANY bone cell ( e.g. osteoblasts/osteoclasts ) ? If yes , is this effect modulated by PTH ??

OR the osteoprotective effect of Vit D is through 1) Increasing the solubility product to favor mineralization , 2) Inhibit PTH via increased serum Ca

I would really appreciate a clear answer

-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
im pretty confused about Vit D (currently reading biochem).. check out this discussion here and maybe you can give me an answer haha

so im praying my strategy will workout, i just memorize the prefix or "root" part and let them to crazy with the variations (ex: calci, phyto, ret)

Reactions: 1 user
Calcitriol activates osteoblasts --> release RANKL --> activates osteoclasts --> increase serum calcium

Calcitriol and PTH work together but don't forget calcitriol inhibits PTH.

When is your exam btw? Can't wait to read your post test summary if you make one!

Reactions: 1 user
Ok guys , these explanations didn't make sense to me , so I looked it up and this is my conclusion ... It makes sense and I hope it's correct..

Look 2nd image 1st

Exam is December 24

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Osteoblasts express Vit D receptor and calcitriol induces their production of osteocalcin (a vitamin K–dependent protein that contains γ -carboxyglutamic acid residues) and IL-1 which promotes bone resorption.

Reactions: 2 users