1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

vitelline membrane vs. zone pellucida

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by rcwha, Jun 17, 2008.

1. rcwha

2+ Year Member

Can somebody plz tell me the difference btwn the two as far as function is concerned? Do they both prevent multiple fertilzation?

Also, a question from Achiever

Which of the following membrane structures serves as fast block to multiple fertilizations at an animal egg cell? . Jelly coat B. Corona radiata C. Zona pellucida D. Fertilization membrane E. None of the above

I put C the first time i took this exam, but now I think it is zona pellucida or vitelline membrance.
    The answer is D:
    It is the swift acrosomal process of membrane depolarization on the egg cell that has phenomenally been known as the fast block to multiple fertilizations.

Can somebody plz explain?

thanks in advance !

2. pistolpete007

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i had a post on this type of question...check my posts

3. osimsDDS

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think this has to do with the fast block to polyspermy because once a single sperm enters the egg membrane depolarization occurs where the egg was lets say positive and attracted negative sperm but once the sperm is inside there is a depolarization where the egg reverses its polarity and now its negative shunting all of the negative sperm away...for the zona pelucida reaction/granule reaction i believe this is a slow block to polyspermy after memrane depolarization...because the granules are secreted and the zona pelucida becomes very tough and thick not allowing any sperm that reach the egg to enter...

4. Glycogen

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  5. osimsDDS

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    sick that was actually really helpful, so i messed up on the charges, it becomes + from - after acrosome reaction and acrosome process...

SOOO basically acrosome reaction is fast block to polyspermy and granule reaction is slow block to polyspermy...is that correct???

6. Glycogen

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I would say so.That's what it says.

7. rcwha

2+ Year Member

Sweetness, thanks guys!