vitelline membrane vs. zone pellucida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rcwha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can somebody plz tell me the difference btwn the two as far as function is concerned? Do they both prevent multiple fertilzation?

Also, a question from Achiever

Which of the following membrane structures serves as fast block to multiple fertilizations at an animal egg cell? . Jelly coat B. Corona radiata C. Zona pellucida D. Fertilization membrane E. None of the above

I put C the first time i took this exam, but now I think it is zona pellucida or vitelline membrance.
The answer is D:
It is the swift acrosomal process of membrane depolarization on the egg cell that has phenomenally been known as the fast block to multiple fertilizations.

Can somebody plz explain?

thanks in advance !

Members don't see this ad.

Can somebody plz tell me the difference btwn the two as far as function is concerned? Do they both prevent multiple fertilzation?

Also, a question from Achiever

Which of the following membrane structures serves as fast block to multiple fertilizations at an animal egg cell? . Jelly coat B. Corona radiata C. Zona pellucida D. Fertilization membrane E. None of the above

I put C the first time i took this exam, but now I think it is zona pellucida or vitelline membrance.
The answer is D:
It is the swift acrosomal process of membrane depolarization on the egg cell that has phenomenally been known as the fast block to multiple fertilizations.

Can somebody plz explain?

thanks in advance !

I think this has to do with the fast block to polyspermy because once a single sperm enters the egg membrane depolarization occurs where the egg was lets say positive and attracted negative sperm but once the sperm is inside there is a depolarization where the egg reverses its polarity and now its negative shunting all of the negative sperm away...for the zona pelucida reaction/granule reaction i believe this is a slow block to polyspermy after memrane depolarization...because the granules are secreted and the zona pelucida becomes very tough and thick not allowing any sperm that reach the egg to enter...

Members don't see this ad :)
Check this out and thank you for mentioning this b/c I really did not pay attention that there are 2 reactions.

http://bcs.whfreeman.com/thelifewire/content/chp43/4302001.html

sick that was actually really helpful, so i messed up on the charges, it becomes + from - after acrosome reaction and acrosome process...

SOOO basically acrosome reaction is fast block to polyspermy and granule reaction is slow block to polyspermy...is that correct???

sick that was actually really helpful, so i messed up on the charges, it becomes + from - after acrosome reaction and acrosome process...

SOOO basically acrosome reaction is fast block to polyspermy and granule reaction is slow block to polyspermy...is that correct???

I would say so.That's what it says.