VLC vs Autocured resins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CurtisDDS2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been reading my textbook on direct composite restorations. The book often refers to VLC vs autocured resins, but it never clearly explained what they are or what there basic differences are.

Can anyone explain the difference between vlc and autocured for me, and maybe a quick example of when each is preferred?

Thanks,
Curtis

Members don't see this ad.

What's the textbook you're reading (and version)? With VLC, the polymerization is initiated by light, as the name suggests. Your light. So you have more control over it. Rather than bulk filling (which might be faster), you can do incremental fills. It's supposed to yield a more complete polymerization which is supposed to give you less shrinkage (most significant benefit I've seen mentioned in literature). Shrinkage is bad news. I've read different things on autocure. Seems to not be used much. Maybe some seasoned dentists (or upperclassmen even...) can chime in.

2 basic examples of where each is beneficial

For a VLC resin, think about a dental sealant. You want that light polymerization to achieve a complete cure in a rapid fashion, often before the child connected to that tooth your sealing has their tongue get in the way! :arghh:

For an autopolymerizing resin, think of a resin cement that you're using to cement a permanent crown. Some of that resin can be reached by the curing light to achieve a full set, but their will be plenty of cement surface area where the "reach" of the curing light won't be able to get to under the very often opaque coping, so for this situation you want an autopolymerizing resin to achieve full curing of the resin.

In general, most resin based restorative materials will be VLC

In general, you, as the practitioner should be checking the wattage output of your curing light on a daily basis so that you WILL be getting a complete cure of the VLC resin's that are being used. Unfortunately not as many Doc's as there should be are checking their lights and as a result a bunch of VLC material might very well end up as UC (UN-CURED ) material :uhno: