VMCAS Explanation Statement format

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheltermed

omg idk
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have a question about the VMCAS Explanation Statement section.

Are we to write this like another essay? Or is something short (as possible) and sweet acceptable? If you have past [preferably successful] experience with this, please let me know how you wrote it! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Are we to write this like another essay? Or is something short (as possible) and sweet acceptable? If you have past [preferably successful] experience with this, please let me know how you wrote it! Thank you :)

I think mine was three or four sentences. Short and to the point, ending on a positive note.

Reactions: 1 user
I think mine was three or four sentences. Short and to the point, ending on a positive note.

I agree with this. Keep it simple, don't go into too much detail, and at the end make it positive. If they want more information about it they'll ask during interviews. However, it has never been questioned in my interviews this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine was a short paragraph. I kept it as short as was necessary to cover what needed to be said.
I have not been accepted at this point (and might not be) but I was granted an interview so I guess it must have gone over well enough. Consider it semi-successful. ;)

I have not been accepted at this point (and might not be) but I was granted an interview so I guess it must have gone over well enough. Consider it semi-successful.

No, I would definitely consider being granted an interview successful, so thanks for your input :)

I'm not sure I can make mine quite that short? Only because I have had a couple "mishaps," if you will, during separate time periods, and they were a bit different in nature.

Also-- do I need to explain taking a year off after high school?

I wouldn't.

I have had a couple "mishaps," if you will, during separate time periods, and they were a bit different in nature.

If there's no way that you can make them a single issue, then I would probably have two three-to-four sentenced paragraphs regarding each issue and one positive summary sentence to show how that's made you a better candidate in the long run.

Other people may disagree with me, but I tried hard to avoid writing anything emotionally charged. I just tried to, in a very dry, rational, and honest way explain what had happened and how I'm better because of it.

Not sure how useful this is, but I did get in, so I guess my explanation statement didn't give any admissions committees pause.

Mine was short. Not quite a bulleted list, but I could have easily turned it into one. I tried to avoid any "woe is me" or pity party type sentiments. I shared enough that they would understand the circumstances/situation, but didn't share any specific details that weren't necessary.

Most of my explanation statement was personal things relating to my ability to obtain experience hours. I didn't have any GPA issues to explain or discuss. I will say for grade-related statements it's good to avoid any sort of a blaming tone (this sounds obvious, but you'd be surprised at some of the things people write).

I agree with avoiding something lengthy. This isn't as much a story as your PS is. Treat it as a chance to say "This went wrong for me, this is how I fixed it, look at me now :highfive:."

Mine was extremely short, just three sentences. It was basically:

"Severe health issues during x period effected my ability to perform well academically. I received treatment and these health issues are no longer a concern. I feel subsequent terms better reflect my true academic ability."

If there hadn't been a hardship withdrawal on my transcript, I probably wouldn't have even used the explanation statement and just let the adcoms think it was a bad term or two
For me. But since it was there I figured I should acknowledge it.

Definitely keep it short and sweet!

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I've had some difficult times during the past year - I have been off from school for two semesters, though working as a lab tech in a repro research lab at Cornell & as coordinator of the Cornell Leadership Program for Vet Students this past summer (http://www.vet.cornell.edu/BBS/leadership/ if you care, lol) in the interim - so I haven't been idle at all.

I'm headed back this semester, taking a couple of humanities courses as well as biochemistry and immunology. I'm hoping (and I believe it's attainable) to get straight As this semester, then using my explanation for that "this is how I fixed it, look at me now" - unfortunately, I'll only have one semester to show for it, and for this reason I expect to have to apply over 2 cycles. I'm totally okay with that, but obviously I'd like to get in the first time around :p.

I actually think there is a separate location to put this information in. I remember them asking you to briefly explain any breaks where you hadn't been in school or working.
I remember this because I had to write about the year I took off after leaving the military and didn't work or go to school.

I remember them asking you to briefly explain any breaks where you hadn't been in school or working.
I remember this because I had to write about the year I took off after leaving the military and didn't work or go to school.

I've always been working while not in school. Does that mean explanation isn't necessary? I mean, as long as the gaps are clearly filled in on an application.

I've always been working while not in school. Does that mean explanation isn't necessary? I mean, as long as the gaps are clearly filled in on an application.
Yeah you're probably fine not filling in that portion then

I made mine about a paragraph long, but with indentations between different topics. I cut it straight and to the point....I retook this class because etc etc....I worked for this many hours during undergrad....I supported myself throughout undergrad, etc etc while still gaining broad veterinary and animal experience etc. Each time I ended it on a positive note. I hate it when people read my stuff but it might help you to have someone you trust review it.

I really don't think the reviewers want another long-winded expose on yourself, but that's just my opinion.

Mine was 4 separate, short sentences/paragraphs. I actually probably could've left the shortest ones out because rereading them they're a little redundant to other parts of my app (my transferred credits, graduating early, courses I retook). But the 2 main points were concise explanations for my bad first semester (mentioning my subsequent improvement) and the later "fluke" bad semester among better ones, when I had a medical issue/surgery. Ended it with what I was retaking.