VMRCVM 2015 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyshine

Kansas State C/O 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread up already for the VMRCVM applicants for this year, so I decided to start one. Anyone else apply this year?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an IS applicant too. Wish they would send us some kind of acknowledgment of our apps though- even just to say they got them! I've heard back from all the other schools I applied to in some form at least. All I've gotten from VMRCVM is receipt of my supplemental application fee, which is something at least, but not a very satisfying something.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, I wish too. I guess we won't hear from them until Jan/Feb?

I'm IS too, and VMRCVM is my first choice! I go to VT for undergraduate, and I love it here :)

I also really wish we would've heard something by now - at least a confirmation!

Yay! I've been thinking about starting this, I'm glad someone did! Im IS too, it would be great to hear SOMETHING! The time will come sooner than we all think, I mean it's already Thanksgiving!

My goodness, am I the only OOSer? Wow. I applied b/c of the amazing training opportunities and because Blacksburg is such a BEAUTIFUL place... The mountains are beyond amazing!!

Good luck to ALL!! :luck:

I'm an OOS applicant but VMRCVM is my first choice :) I'm from Massachusetts but came to VA for an internship over the summer and loved it here. I currently have a nursing (tech) job at the VMRCVM equine hospital in Leesburg - I so badly want to become a Hokie!

Waiting to hear is so painful! Good luck to all!

:love: Great to see some enthusiasm from you guys! Feel free to ask me some questions if you'd like. There are also a few other active sdners from c/o 2014 that hang around plus one pretty active graduate :D.

Btw, I have no idea of the time line of interviews/letters/etc for this year, but I did not hear a word from VMRCVM until my interview invite; if I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of communication.

Good luck to all:xf:.

IS applicant here :) Its my first choice too. I called to confirm receipt of my materials about 1 week after the deadline, and they told me to send them an email about it. I did so that very day, but haven't gotten a response back from that. Sort of frustrating, haha, but I'm not going to call/email anymore because I don't want to pester. I'm sure they have everything, I'm just being paranoid. It's different having CSU's portal that I can check every day, but VMRCVM has nothing I can look at.

Good luck to everyone! I'm reallllly hoping to get in this cycle :)

I am also an OOS applicant. I applied to them because Virginia is a beautiful state that is close to home. I am also a fan of their tracking system and I am very interested in their small animal tracked curriculum. I'm not too stressed about not hearing anything yet. I have decided to save my stress for when interview invites go out. Here's hoping we all here good news sooner or later.

I'm a Maryland resident, so I'm kind of in-state but not. Had a meeting with an admissions person over the summer (in a group when they came to Maryland) and she pretty much told me my chances of getting in were slim. We'll see :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an OOS applicant but VMRCVM is my first choice :) I'm from Massachusetts but came to VA for an internship over the summer and loved it here. I currently have a nursing (tech) job at the VMRCVM equine hospital in Leesburg - I so badly want to become a Hokie!

Waiting to hear is so painful! Good luck to all!

Hi Equitate! I work there too! Cyber world/real world collison! I only work weekends though because of school but worked a lot over the summer.

I'm applying as an OOSer too! I love the Virginia/Maryland area and I'm also a fan of their tracking program.

I'm a Maryland resident, so I'm kind of in-state but not. Had a meeting with an admissions person over the summer (in a group when they came to Maryland) and she pretty much told me my chances of getting in were slim. We'll see :xf:

I hope you applied to OOS schools too! I know lots of people who were IS for vmrcvm who ended up going to an OOS school. So no worries and keep ur head up!

Well, I'm not sure if I am considered an IS or OOS person as I moved to VA last October. I'm officially a resident this December so if I did get in, I could get in-state tuition, but I'm not sure how they would consider me when looking at my application.

I would love to stay in VA, however, I have little to no research experience, which probably puts me at the way bottom of their list. Oy vey.

That Redhead-I met with people in Maryland also and they didn't seem too impressed with me either. lol.

Equitate and Schrodingerr-I work there too. Party at the EMC! I think I know who you are Schrodingerr but I'm not sure who you are Equitate. Sure we'll meet sometime though!

Hey guys,
Im an OOS applicant and I am currently living in FL. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea when to expect any information from them or when their interviews usually fall.

I would appreciate any info, hope the application process is going well for all! =)

Hey guys,
Im an OOS applicant and I am currently living in FL. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea when to expect any information from them or when their interviews usually fall.

I would appreciate any info, hope the application process is going well for all! =)

From their website:
"Personal interviews of selected candidates are usually scheduled in early February." and "All applicants are notified of their status by mid-February by the DVM Admissions Office"

If you search the forum for the Class of 2014 Official Interview Invites, you can see rough timelines of when invitations went out last year.

hey folks,

i'm an oos applicant this cycle (utk is my in-state). vmrcvm had an issue with my gre scores (never got them even though ets sent them!) so there was some email correspondence going on with one of the admissions people. the following is from an email i received recently:

"For your planning purposes, interview invitations will be sent out the first week of January.

Interviews will be held on January 28 and 29. Final decision letters will be sent out no later than the second week of February."

hope this helps in terms of a timeline for all you fellow applicants! good luck to all of ya'll! :xf:

Interviews will be held on January 28 and 29.

assuming this is true because it came directly from an administrator, put these dates in your calendar! because if you get an interview invite there is NO changing the date for vmrcvm. i know you're probably thinking, why would i ever not be able to go to one of my interviews?!? well, i'm sure a lot of you who get invited to vmrcvm will also get invited to other OOS schools and there could be interview conflicts between schools. vmrcvm will not budge at all so it is nice to know if you get a different interview you can call the other school up right away and see if you can change the dates

This is my second year applying (in-state). Maybe this year will be my year. :)

. . . and I'm starting to get more and more nervous for interview notifications! This is my 2nd application (in-state as well).

Equitate and Schrodingerr-I work there too. Party at the EMC! I think I know who you are Schrodingerr but I'm not sure who you are Equitate. Sure we'll meet sometime though!

Hey! Are you working there right now/in what department? :) I started in Nursing in the beginning of November and am starting to play in the OR now, too. I met Schrodingerr a few weeks ago. Cool running into you guys!

Yikes to the possible late January interview dates. Does anyone know how far in advance they contact applicants before the scheduled interviews? Do they do all OOS & IS interviews the same weekend? That seems like a lot!

Hey! Are you working there right now/in what department? :) I started in Nursing in the beginning of November and am starting to play in the OR now, too. I met Schrodingerr a few weeks ago. Cool running into you guys!

Yikes to the possible late January interview dates. Does anyone know how far in advance they contact applicants before the scheduled interviews? Do they do all OOS & IS interviews the same weekend? That seems like a lot!

they do all OOS and IS interviews at the same time. It really isn't that much because they don't take many OOS applicants. So majority of the people interviewed are from VA and MD.
IL does ALL their interviews in one day lol Last year vmrcvm did all applicants over 3 days. I think i read on here they are doing 2 days this yr?

Thank you jjl72! That is really helpful. Definitely starting (ok who am I kidding, it started October 1st...) but realllllllyyyyy getting nervous now! Good luck to everyone, does anyone have any good information on the MMI format for the interviews held here? I have had a hard time finding anything helpful.

According to the website, we hear from them regarding an interview invite at the beginning of January. It was January 8th last year, I think, so I'm assuming thereabouts.

As for the MMI formatting: It's a series of mini-interviews. There are either 6 or 8 of them, I can't remember. Anyway, each scenario is posted on the outside of a separate interview room. You have some time to think about it first, then enter the room and discuss your position/what you would do. There are no wrong answers but they're looking for certain character traits - integrity, for example. A sample scenario we were given by an admissions officer was "Imagine you and a research partner are about to fly to another city and present your research to a group of people. Your partner suddenly balks at going. What do you do?"

The MMI is seriously a more stressful form of speed-dating. You are timed, which is probably the worst part. Some of the interviewers may be friendly, some may be downright unhappy - but you don't even have time to think about that! They will ask you follow-up questions, which can be as detailed as "Why?, Why?, and Why?" By the end of the rounds, which go by FAST, you will have thought you just had a bad dream...and then you go home!

Good luck everyone! VMRCVM was definitely not my first choice, but I've grown to like it. We have some super amazing professors which makes the torture slightly more enjoyable. "It is what you make it" is certainly true and I've already had experiences that I didn't think I would get here, it's entirely up to you!

According to the website, we hear from them regarding an interview invite at the beginning of January. It was January 8th last year, I think, so I'm assuming thereabouts.

As for the MMI formatting: It's a series of mini-interviews. There are either 6 or 8 of them, I can't remember. Anyway, each scenario is posted on the outside of a separate interview room. You have some time to think about it first, then enter the room and discuss your position/what you would do. There are no wrong answers but they're looking for certain character traits - integrity, for example. A sample scenario we were given by an admissions officer was "Imagine you and a research partner are about to fly to another city and present your research to a group of people. Your partner suddenly balks at going. What do you do?"

you should post this in the FAQ under pre-vet, i asked a Q about it for future applicants but no one has answered it yet. i dont want to look stupid answering my own question lol

Hey guys! I am a VT undergrad graduate who applied and got into VT oos last year, before deciding to go to my (technical) instate school. I will say Tech was not the best at letting you know anything involving your application status, so dont be too concerned if you dont hear anything from them.

Also, as for the MMIs, I thought they were pretty stressful, more so than the traditional interview. Do not worry though, it is a fun experience, if you can call an interview that, and it doesnt give you time to think about how nervous you are. Last year it was 8 different questions and you got 8 minutes to answer it. Most of the faculty were really wonderful, but one just stared at me...

Good luck! Any horse people out there let me know I can give you the name of a great place to board :) Southwest VA is great and I cant tell you how much I miss it! Any additional questions you have feel free to message me about it!

So I'm applying to VMRCVM this year as well. It should be my IS. I moved away temporarily with my husband for school but we continued filing taxes and paying them so, we're just waiting to find out now. I went to nearby Radford for my undergraduate but I'm originally from a local high school near VT. It really is the only school I want to go to and so it's the only one I applied to. My entire family is there and so hopefully I'll get in! Also they have lots of programs for students that want to work outside of private practice in government or lab animal which is great because I can't see myself being a private practice doc!

Unfortunately I saw on the official rejections that someone got a negative snail mail letter. Does anyone know if they send all of their info through snail mail or if some are through e-mail? I am on break at my parents' house so will not be at my current address (my permanent one instead) and if they send through snail mail, I won't be able to get any info for a month! I guess I should probably try and call and see what they say.

Unfortunately I saw on the official rejections that someone got a negative snail mail letter. Does anyone know if they send all of their info through snail mail or if some are through e-mail? I am on break at my parents' house so will not be at my current address (my permanent one instead) and if they send through snail mail, I won't be able to get any info for a month! I guess I should probably try and call and see what they say.

I have been wondering the exact same thing! If you find out let me know!! :)
Hoping they send emails!

I know last year all interview notifications were through email; rejection letters came in the mail.

Interesting, well at least if I get a rejection then I won't have to see it for a month.

Did you all already "self report" your final grades? I sent Ms. Massie an email today but I'm not sure when their offices close for the holidays. Either way my transcript got sent. I feel like the beginning of January is going to come quick!

I just got my interview invite!! 1/29 and I'm IS. Came at 4:45am? w/e ill take it!

Me too! 1/29 as well and I'm IS(MD). I noticed how it early it was sent too-but, yeah, definitely not complaining!

I just got my interview invite too! 1/28 (IS as well). I didn't notice what time it was sent.

Does any one know if OOS is sent out with IS? Any news or update would be greatly appreciated being that 4 of my schools might (2 will) be telling me my fate this week...hoping its a happy Birthday and Christmas week for me and not the other way around! :xf:

I got an invite today too! IS 1/28 (va).

Keep your chin up That Redhead, you never know with VMRCVM since their communication is a little sketchy!

mannn..... I'm IS too and I haven't heard anything yet.. so hopefully they're are not sending out all in one day :\

I am sure that all of your letters will come in soon!

Is everyone hearing back through email or snail mail?

Goodluck to all still waiting!!!' :)

Oh man, I haven't heard anything from Tech either...

I haven't been able to send my fall transcripts yet - took my last final yesterday, but would it be ok to email Ms. Massie with my projected grades? Wonder if I am going to be getting a snail mail letter...

Is it safe to assume that they're only corresponding with IS students at this point, or should I (OOS) begin dreading the trip to the mailbox? ;)

The communication is always a little strange from VMRCVM. I applied a bunch and every year it was a little different. If you haven't heard anything in a week or so, then I would be more worried about the trip to the mailbox. I live 20 min from the school and I was one of the last people to hear from them last year! If in doubt, you can always call. Joyce Massie and the others in the others in the admin office are wonderful and they totally get how stressed we applicants get when we don't hear things at the same time as everyone else.
GOOD LUCK to everyone! If I could get in, you all can have hope!