VMRCVM 2015 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've met her a couple of times at the open house and did speak to her - she IS so nice! I guess I should just bite the bullet and call. I now worry that I'll get an invite and won't see it because of aforementioned out of townness and miss an RSVP or something :scared: Dammit, self.

I think she gave the people quite some time to respond though. So you could ask her about how long if you were to get an interview you would be given to respond because you're going out of town. And if you could somehow get internet access every other day, then it might work. :)

Members don't see this ad.

So I finally called (and probably sounded like an idiot for apologizing so much) and I'm on the alternates list as well. I'm guessing we all are if we haven't gotten a rejection. Anyway, she said she's waiting on 23 people (only an hour and twenty minutes left til 5pm) and all the other stuff you all have said.

Thank you hahatoofunny for encouraging me to call. I feel a little bit better :xf:

So I finally called (and probably sounded like an idiot for apologizing so much) and I'm on the alternates list as well. I'm guessing we all are if we haven't gotten a rejection. Anyway, she said she's waiting on 23 people (only an hour and twenty minutes left til 5pm) and all the other stuff you all have said.

Thank you hahatoofunny for encouraging me to call. I feel a little bit better :xf:

LOL I'm totally struggling with the wait, 23 people now? Dang yesterday it was 18 or 19. So maybe, we have a chance!! :xf: SEE I knew you could do it. It's not the end of the world. lol I really want to go here so badly which is why I don't mind calling them. Yeah I think you're right about the rejection thing too! I'm just glad they don't hate me. What this shows me is that even if I don't get in this year and work on everything they tell me too and more, they'll remember me next year and may even love me a little too ! :love:

PS. I love all the smilies on here I think I could find a proper one for EVERY sentence I type. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have literally been making myself sick about vmrcvm and not hearing anything yet.

This thread makes me feel a whole lot better. I definitely don't have the kahones to call her and ask, just thinking about it gives my stomach major butterflies, but it is good to hear that there is this alternate list.

Good luck everyone!!

I have literally been making myself sick about vmrcvm and not hearing anything yet.

This thread makes me feel a whole lot better. I definitely don't have the kahones to call her and ask, just thinking about it gives my stomach major butterflies, but it is good to hear that there is this alternate list.

Good luck everyone!!

Seriously Packen just do it!! It's not going to hurt you at all. If anything, it'll show you're clearly interested. I called at 4:45 today and NONE of those 23 people had responded yet. She said people always wait last minute to respond either way. It's serious torture! :(

Lets hope they decide to turn the invites down or don't respond and maybe they'll pick us to invite for interviews!!! :luck:

Seriously Packen just do it!! It's not going to hurt you at all. If anything, it'll show you're clearly interested. I called at 4:45 today and NONE of those 23 people had responded yet. She said people always wait last minute to respond either way. It's serious torture! :(

Lets hope they decide to turn the invites down or don't respond and maybe they'll pick us to invite for interviews!!! :luck:

Ok, well probably too late to call today...although:xf:that those 23 people did not respond in time meaning it's on to the alternates...i will try and psych myself up about calling tonight and try in the morning....:scared:

Ok, well probably too late to call today...although:xf:that those 23 people did not respond in time meaning it's on to the alternates...i will try and psych myself up about calling tonight and try in the morning....:scared:

Good!! You can definitely do it!! :thumbup: Don't worry about being an *OMGIAMASPECIALSNOWFLAKE* lol. This is your dream, and you should be allowed to know what's going on. She'll be receiving a phone call from me around 9:30. I figure the office prob opens around 9 and I'll give her 30 minutes to get there and get settled! :laugh:

Okay, I have news for you all! :D I got brave and called today, too. I originally called to see if she would accept an update about vet experience hours on my application (spurred by the thread about updating schools). She said that they won't accept any info like that other than fall transcripts. I then told her that I hadn't heard anything yet and she told me I was on the alternate interview list (insert back-flipping smiley emoticon). So it confirms that the alternate list is comprised of IS AND OOS applicants (which many people, myself included, were wondering). I called at 4:50pm (snuck outside at work, haha) and she told me they are still waiting on 20 or so people to respond, like others have already stated.

I was caught off guard & wasn't prepared to ask questions like, "How many people are on the alternate list?" or, "When is the last day people on the alternate list might get an invitation?", etc. Who wants to be brave and find out? We could SDN tag-team Joyce and get all of our answers one at a time without seeming like totally needy individuals :D haha

Yay! Overall, good news. Good luck, everyone!

So, is it safe to assume that those of us who have been neither rejected nor offered an interview are all alternates?

Anyone else have the cojones to ask? ;)

If not, I am calling tomorrow to try to find out what my status is... although I don't think it's likely that they'll offer me an interview (still :xf:), I'm nervous about the possibility of scheduling conflicts with Minnesota.

Hey everyone,

I just found this site. I'm also IS - I live in Richmond. My interview is scheduled for Jan 28th - I'm so nervous, but excited, too. Good luck to everyone!!:)

Okay, I have news for you all! :D I got brave and called today, too. I originally called to see if she would accept an update about vet experience hours on my application (spurred by the thread about updating schools). She said that they won't accept any info like that other than fall transcripts. I then told her that I hadn't heard anything yet and she told me I was on the alternate interview list (insert back-flipping smiley emoticon). So it confirms that the alternate list is comprised of IS AND OOS applicants (which many people, myself included, were wondering). I called at 4:50pm (snuck outside at work, haha) and she told me they are still waiting on 20 or so people to respond, like others have already stated.

I was caught off guard & wasn't prepared to ask questions like, "How many people are on the alternate list?" or, "When is the last day people on the alternate list might get an invitation?", etc. Who wants to be brave and find out? We could SDN tag-team Joyce and get all of our answers one at a time without seeming like totally needy individuals :D haha

Yay! Overall, good news. Good luck, everyone!

You guys are awesome! I am gonna call tomorrow and I will be happy to ask those questions. Here is hoping that we all get an interview by the end of this week! :luck::laugh:

You guys are awesome! I am gonna call tomorrow and I will be happy to ask those questions. Here is hoping that we all get an interview by the end of this week! :luck::laugh:

We look forward to your answers!

There must be an alternate list for VA, MD and OOs though; I don't think they'd fill a spot for a VA resident with a MD resident, for example. Fingers crossed they're all short lists!

We look forward to your answers!

There must be an alternate list for VA, MD and OOs though; I don't think they'd fill a spot for a VA resident with a MD resident, for example. Fingers crossed they're all short lists!

Yes we do, LaylaPhone! :D

that redhead - shoot, now you've got me thinking. When I talked to Joyce, it sounded like VA, MD and OOS were all on the same list. I thought I asked that and she said yes, but now I'm second-guessing myself...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi to all VMRCVM applicants...I have been watching this post for a few weeks now and finally decided to join :) I too have applied and not heard anything and I'm going crazy! I applied last year and got an interview and am fearful of not getting an invite. I am IS so I hope they have lots of room left for all of us still waiting!

Ok, so I got anxious from reading this forum and got enough bravery from you all to call Joyce today too at around 4:30 Virginia time. Wasn't clear as to whether IS/OOS are on the same alternate list, though I would doubt it. I was told that I was on the interview alternate list. (Though now I'm getting paranoid - we are all told we are on the alternate list. What if everyone is?! Or maybe SDNers are just awesome. That's the more likely explanation)... So I asked how many people are on the list and what number I was, but she isn't allowed to release that information.
There was a deadline for the first set of interview invites at 5pm today and a second deadline at 5pm tomorrow. People will be pulled from the alternate list in order based on how many people don't respond/decline. When/if people from the alternate list decline their interviews, then the next person on the list gets emailed. So we could potentially get an email on January 27 telling us to be in VA in two days. My plan - obsessive email checking between now and then, knowing that I won't get rejected before then and I could get an interview email any second or find out nothing until a rejection at the very end of the month. Eek eek eek.
Poor Joyce, we are all feeding off each other and calling her with more questions. But she was awesome and so willing to answer me! :)

Ok, so I got anxious from reading this forum and got enough bravery from you all to call Joyce today too at around 4:30 Virginia time. Wasn't clear as to whether IS/OOS are on the same alternate list, though I would doubt it. I was told that I was on the interview alternate list. (Though now I'm getting paranoid - we are all told we are on the alternate list. What if everyone is?! Or maybe SDNers are just awesome. That's the more likely explanation)... So I asked how many people are on the list and what number I was, but she isn't allowed to release that information.
There was a deadline for the first set of interview invites at 5pm today and a second deadline at 5pm tomorrow. People will be pulled from the alternate list in order based on how many people don't respond/decline. When/if people from the alternate list decline their interviews, then the next person on the list gets emailed. So we could potentially get an email on January 27 telling us to be in VA in two days. My plan - obsessive email checking between now and then, knowing that I won't get rejected before then and I could get an interview email any second or find out nothing until a rejection at the very end of the month. Eek eek eek.
Poor Joyce, we are all feeding off each other and calling her with more questions. But she was awesome and so willing to answer me! :)

Yeah we could find out last minute for sure because people that scheduled interviews might get into a school they want to go to more before January 28 and 29th. Alot of schools have or will be having interviews before them so it is possible so acceptances for these schools might help us out! OSU is a big one that will help us out! Yeah I asked her too where I was and how many people are on that alternate list and she wouldn't tell me, I didn't figure she would. Everyone I've known that has went or tried to get into med school usually ends up in a similar predicament BUT they can send extra application stuff in to make themselves look better. My guess is no more than 40 are on that list though, maybe 50 max. What do ya'll think?

Also, I don't know if I'm IS or OOS. I'm from there, filed VA residency, but there was some debate because I might have been a dual resident. Maybe we'll all hear some good news this morning!!! :clap:

I'm OOS which means if I'm on the alternate list, I'm probably waaaaaaaaaaaay down there. Even still, all this news has me floating about the office today -- and checking my email/cell phone every three minutes!!

Thank you to you brave souls for calling and asking the questions we ALL want to know the answers to!

Ok, so I just got brave and called Joyce. Alternate list as well. And she wouldnt give me any numbers as to where I fell or how many were on the list. She did say she was still waiting on about 20 responses. My only thinking is that realistically how many VA applicants are going to turn down an interview invite. I sure know I wouldnt!! I just spoke with the vet I used to work for and he said to stay positive but really I dont know how long I can do that....

Chin up, VTgal! If you received an interview invite and you were positive about VMRCVM, wouldn't you respond right away? Of course! So the fact that some IS people still haven't responded and the deadline is pressing should tell you that there is definitely some hope to be had!

Thanks Horsingaround31! I appreciate the boost of confidence!!

I guess my main concern is that I'm getting too old to get in..I just turned 27 and have applied 4 times before...and I have a husband who keeps telling me that maybe its not "meant to be" but I refuse to accept that thinking right?!?!

And what really is one additional year if I have to try again.....

This is exactly what worries me (that we won't hear for another while yet)! Its nice we're all alternates but I wish I had some context to go off of. Anyway, hopefully I can still enjoy my vacation..

...I just turned 27 and have applied 4 times before...

You're talking to a 32-year-old who is applying for the third time and only just receiving her first interviews (I also nearly tripled the number of schools I applied to this year)! I definitely get the age thing, but if you're like me, you want to wake up everyday and not hate your job. If this is important to you, your husband will understand that you're going to apply as many times as it takes!! :D

I'm being completely paranoid, wondering why so many of us are on the alternate list but none of us have heard anything from the new round of invites that are supposed to be sent out today. :eek:

I must say, guys, I am *really* getting a kick out of the *IAMASPECIALSNOWFLAKE* threadlette!
I are cornfused, though. What is this alternate interview list of which people speek? :)
I must be more out of it than I thought!
Well, I'll see whoever else is interviewing on the 29th, on the 29th!
Kick ass and good luck everyone!
Fidils

And, Horsingaround, I'm a near-37 yr old who's applying for the first time as well! Coulda knocked me over with a feather when I got the interview invite! : ) Since my birthday's in March, I look forward to test evilness for the next several years if I do get accepted!
Fidils

First time applicant here... just turned 28 last month. :)

Haven't heard back from VMRCVM yet (alternate list, maybe? :scared:) but just scored an interview at another school, and should be hearing back from the remaining two within the next week or so. The way they are dragging this out is straight up killing me... but I guess I should just suck it up and be glad I haven't gotten an outright rejection yet, haha.

Congrats to all those who are interviewing! :thumbup:

Thanks Horsingaround31! I appreciate the boost of confidence!!

I guess my main concern is that I'm getting too old to get in..I just turned 27 and have applied 4 times before...and I have a husband who keeps telling me that maybe its not "meant to be" but I refuse to accept that thinking right?!?!

And what really is one additional year if I have to try again.....

I am 44. This is my first time applying. Out of six applications I have two interviews, two rejections, and still waiting to hear from two schools. What I have done every year while working on my prereqs was to go the the school web sites and find the page with the statistics of the entering class to see how old people are that have been admitted, this kept me hopeful of my chances based on age. VMRCVM admitted someone this past application cycle that was in their 40's. I believe the oldest student that I have seen admitted to any vet school was 53, as far as I can remember. Tell your husband that you only fail if you give up. Never give up on your dreams.

Ok so now I am getting inspired again!! Thanks everyone you are such an inspiration....I just have the mentality that they dont want me...Something that may have hurt my chances was that I only applied to VMRCVM. I llike the thoughts of in-state tuition though...haha...well hopefully we will hear something soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys! Just thought I'd give you an update. I haven't heard anything yet and I didn't call yesterday. Didn't know if any of ya'll had heard anything yet about those of us on this limbo like waitlist :oops:

I did talk to a third year that I know really well at VMRCVM and she thinks they would wait to let us know anything after all of the deadlines pass (yesterday and Thursday). So if no one has heard anything yet, this may be why. BUT if you have heard something, congratulations!! :)

Keep em crossed :xf: and good luck! :luck:

Hey, I'm a first-year VMRCVM student just poking my head in here to see how you all are doing!

Please be patient, but expect the communication with the school to be a bit spotty. It's just one of those things. *shrug*

As far as the MMI's go, there is no good way to prepare yourself, other than knowing yourself and your convictions. They don't ask you technical questions, just questions to feel out who you are, how you handle things, and how you make judgments. So look up random hypothetical questions, and figure out what you would do. Do you have a system? Are you practical? emotional? etc.

Also, I have a cautionary note regarding travel here during this time of year: the weather can get nasty really quick! Make sure you keep up-to-date with the forecast for Blacksburg, and give yourself extra time for travel.

Thank you Veracosa! And to everyone still waiting on an invite, I've got my fingers crossed for you!

One more note - 27 isn't even CLOSE to the oldest person in the first year class. You're not getting old, and you should bonk your husband on his head everytime he suggests it!

Hey, I'm a first-year VMRCVM student just poking my head in here to see how you all are doing!

Please be patient, but expect the communication with the school to be a bit spotty. It's just one of those things. *shrug*

As far as the MMI's go, there is no good way to prepare yourself, other than knowing yourself and your convictions. They don't ask you technical questions, just questions to feel out who you are, how you handle things, and how you make judgments. So look up random hypothetical questions, and figure out what you would do. Do you have a system? Are you practical? emotional? etc.

Also, I have a cautionary note regarding travel here during this time of year: the weather can get nasty really quick! Make sure you keep up-to-date with the forecast for Blacksburg, and give yourself extra time for travel.

Thank you very much! Words of encouragement from a current student are always appreciated!! :D

Being from SWVA, I'm slightly prepared for weather although that being said, last years winter was quite brutal!! :(

As far as the MMI's, I'm just keeping myself up to date on current animal legislation and research things like that. I'm usually current on things of that nature but IN CASE I get an interview, I'd like to super current on what's going on in the animal world. Otherwise, that's about it. :xf:

hahatoofunny22- Great to know someone is from SWVA also!!

hahatoofunny22- Great to know someone is from SWVA also!!

VTGal: Where are you from? If you don't mind telling me. You don't have to give me your exact address or anything lol

I'm from Giles and went to GHS. Went to RU. Still living in Giles part time. I go back and forth for my job between Giles and WV. I love the NRV with my whole heart :love:

VTGal: Where are you from? If you don't mind telling me. You don't have to give me your exact address or anything lol

I'm from Giles and went to GHS. Went to RU. Still living in Giles part time. I go back and forth for my job between Giles and WV. I love the NRV with my whole heart :love:

Hey, no prob! I live in Tazewell County and went to Richlands High...so we are almost neighbors!! For undergrad I went to Tech and then came back home and started working :) I love it here also!!

VTGal: Some of my favorite people from the NRV are from Tazewell. We (at GHS) always loved running against the Tazewell ladies for track and cross country because they were such sweethearts!! :)

Hey everyone! I talked to Joyce yesterday. She said she'll be making phone calls this week to offer interview invitations to those on the alternate interview list. So, maybe all of of us will hear back :luck:

I was looking on last years class statistics and apparently they only interviewed 221 people out of around 1000 applicants. So it sounds like they're quite careful about how many they interview. Most likely because of how demanding the MMI's are, I'm guessing anyways?

Good luck everyone!!! :xf:

VTGal: Some of my favorite people from the NRV are from Tazewell. We (at GHS) always loved running against the Tazewell ladies for track and cross country because they were such sweethearts!! :)

Hey everyone! I talked to Joyce yesterday. She said she'll be making phone calls this week to offer interview invitations to those on the alternate interview list. So, maybe all of of us will hear back :luck:

I was looking on last years class statistics and apparently they only interviewed 221 people out of around 1000 applicants. So it sounds like they're quite careful about how many they interview. Most likely because of how demanding the MMI's are, I'm guessing anyways?

hahatoofunny22- I also ran track at RHS but I cant remember if we ran against your school or not. Wow its a small world :)

Thanks for the update..I wanted to call Joyce yesterday but didn't have the courage. Did she say how many she was going to call?
Also have you asked her if you are considered IS?

Let's hope we hear something positive soon!!

hahatoofunny22- I also ran track at RHS but I cant remember if we ran against your school or not. Wow its a small world :)

Thanks for the update..I wanted to call Joyce yesterday but didn't have the courage. Did she say how many she was going to call?
Also have you asked her if you are considered IS?

Let's hope we hear something positive soon!!

Are you talking about Radford or Richlands HS? We ran against Radford often because we are in the Three Rivers District and Region C and so is RHS. Richlands occasionally I do believe. It's a big world, it's just the NRV is small :laugh:

She wouldn't tell me if I was IS either or how many people she would be calling. I'm freaking out a little though cause my phone keeps acting weird and saying "No SIM Card Installed". I suppose she might email too, but she said she would be calling when I talked to her. You should call her and get an update for yourself and everyone else lol

Keeping my fingers crossed for us though :xf:

Hahatoofunny22 - I ran for Richlands and I guess we probably ran against Giles in the District and Regional meets.

I just took my phone off of silent and now I cant stop looking at it. If I called she would probably give me the same info that she gave you!! Joyce is such a nice lady and I dont want to bother her but now I am curious!

Will she leave a message, or if we're not home, do we lose out? I gave my land line and not my cell.

I think I might call today. I don't want to be too needy, but I am freaking out that they have the right number and everything...but calling is so scary...she wouldn't tell us rejections over the phone would she...ok, I just have to be brave!!

Packen: She will tell you your status over the phone. I don't know how many more rejections or interview invites have went out. She told me my status over the phone and said that was totally cool.

Cautionary Tail: I'm assuming she will leave a message and give you a certain amount of time to respond. I can't imagine you would have to answer to get an invitation but I'm sure they have a time limit for response following a message.
:xf:

I received an email invite today for Jan. 28th. I live in New Jersey. I am sure she will either email or leave message when calling.

I just wanted to say I really appreciate your updates while I'm out of town ;) Good luck guys!

So I put on my big girl pants yesterday and actually called :) No rejection yet, but no interview yet either. Joyce was really nice and implied that she would send out an email for an interview invite. Kind of a bummer since last year I made it all the way to the acceptance waitlist/ alternate and this year I can't get an interview :( Must be a really competitive group of applicants this time around. Fingers crossed for all of us though!!!

Packen - I agree I am in the same boat as you. I applied last year and interviewed also.
Did you do the exit interview with Joyce last spring? I did and she stated to me to increase my GRE score and thats all I needed. Well, I did that and doesnt look like it has worked???? I am now slightly confused as to what to work on....do I take an additional class or two to increase my GPA even more...who knows....
I think this must be a very competitive group also...and it gets me to wondering if they have changed up some of the way they rank us??? Just a thought.

Aww guys I'm sorry :(

It does sound quite competitive, but you know how strict they are with how many interviews they give out, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya'll :xf:

This is my first year. I know my weakness is most likely experiences. I have mostly lab animal, poultry, and a very small amount of shelter medicine.

I'm gonna call and get my status again today. lol Second time this week.
:luck:

I finally broke down and sent an e-mail... I've been assuming that the lack of correspondence implies that I haven't gotten the formal ":thumbdown:" yet, but I'd like to know where I stand for sure... it's always possible that they did send a rejection and it ended up getting lost in transit. I figure that before I keep stressing, I need to just (wo)man up and ask already. :laugh:

Packen - I agree I am in the same boat as you. I applied last year and interviewed also.
Did you do the exit interview with Joyce last spring? I did and she stated to me to increase my GRE score and thats all I needed. Well, I did that and doesnt look like it has worked???? I am now slightly confused as to what to work on....do I take an additional class or two to increase my GPA even more...who knows....
I think this must be a very competitive group also...and it gets me to wondering if they have changed up some of the way they rank us??? Just a thought.

Yeah, I needed to work on my Science GPA, which I did - retook a few classes and changed a C and two B's to A's, and since it has been over 8 yrs since I took those courses originally, the old grades should not even count in calculating sciGPA. Oh well, nothing to do now except :xf: