VMRCVM c/o 2018!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just sent an email declining the interview invite.
Hopefully someone on this thread still waiting to hear back gets it.
Good luck everyone : ]
If you haven't heard back yet, call them tomorrow to inquire about not hearing back. That's how I got an interview. I called the week of interviews and was told that I was on the interview waitlist. Joyce asked if I was still interested in interviewing, of course I said yes. She said she would update my file and we hung up. She called me back in like 2 minutes, offering me an interview (obviously one someone else had declined).
Good luck to those of you waiting-it's not over yet!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any good prep resources for the MMI? I've been googling example questions to practice, but mostly I've only been finding med school question ones. Has anyone else had better luck (or are the types of questions similar enough..?) Or, do you have any other ideas to not go in completely blind?

Does anyone have any good prep resources for the MMI? I've been googling example questions to practice, but mostly I've only been finding med school question ones. Has anyone else had better luck (or are the types of questions similar enough..?) Or, do you have any other ideas to not go in completely blind?

CanHardlyWait gave me this link a few days ago where they discuss MMI

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/multiple-mini-interviews-mmi.1042749/

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man, Joyce is such an angel. I don't know how she deals with us, lol. And I say us because I was one of you 8 years ago. I know all the feelings are cray cray. You can do it guys :)

Anyone else OOS and in group 5? I'm flying in the night before but have no way to get around and was wondering if I could hitch a ride from my hotel to campus that afternoon (and back). Please contact me if this sounds like something you could do - would love to buy you coffee or something.

Last edited:
Anyone else OOS and in group 5? I'm flying in the night before but have no way to get around and was wondering if I could hitch a ride from my hotel to campus that afternoon (and back). Please contact me if this sounds like something you could do - would love to buy you coffee or something.

Where are you staying? I can pretty much guarantee you the bus runs there. Fare is 50 cents. :)

Haven't decided yet, but somewhere in Christiansburg probably. What bus line is this?

I was referring to the Blacksburg Transit (http://www.blacksburg.gov/index.aspx?page=791). If you're staying in Christiansburg, it won't be quite an convenient.

On top of that if your interview is on a Sunday, there are less busses. So anyone considering taking the bus should be sure of the schedule for their day. If you miss a bus on a sunday, you might not get another one for 30 mins to an hour and that could cost you your interview.

On top of that if your interview is on a Sunday, there are less busses. So anyone considering taking the bus should be sure of the schedule for their day. If you miss a bus on a sunday, you might not get another one for 30 mins to an hour and that could cost you your interview.

Thank you for the info. Will most likely ask my hotel about calling a cab.

I'm an absolutely horrible person and I haven't gotten involved in this thread yet - forgive me!
I'm a second year student at VMRCVM currently and I just want to let you guys know I am so excited to meet you next week! Unfortunately my husband (and me by extension) will be out of town on the 15th but I'll be around for the other events that are planned for y'all. I can't wait to meet you!

Regarding MMI stuff, this is going to sound cheesy and cliche but just be yourself. At one point in one of my interviews I ended up telling my interviewer I'd rather walk around naked than worry about clothing (this is true - and no, not at all related to the question I was answering). In retrospect not the best thing to say in a professional interview, but... either it worked or I made up for that crappy answer somewhere else down the line. =)

I prepared for interviews by scheduling a practice MMI through my career center; they didn't know what that was so I had to give them all the details about what an MMI is, and other than giving me the opportunity to practice speaking to someone face-to-face in a somewhat formal setting, they weren't very helpful. On my own time I probably asked myself the question "why do you want to be a vet" about 5,000 times (give or take ;) ), and I looked up a few hot topics in vet med so that I wasn't unable to answer questions about them, should they come up.
Dr. Pelzer will tell you this the day of at least three times, but there are no wrong answers to the MMI.

Good luck everyone! Let me know if you have any other questions about the day of, how to get around, etc., etc. =)

Reactions: 3 users
Regarding MMI stuff, this is going to sound cheesy and cliche but just be yourself. At one point in one of my interviews I ended up telling my interviewer I'd rather walk around naked than worry about clothing (this is true - and no, not at all related to the question I was answering). In retrospect not the best thing to say in a professional interview, but... either it worked or I made up for that crappy answer somewhere else down the line. =)

I prepared for interviews by scheduling a practice MMI through my career center; they didn't know what that was so I had to give them all the details about what an MMI is, and other than giving me the opportunity to practice speaking to someone face-to-face in a somewhat formal setting, they weren't very helpful. On my own time I probably asked myself the question "why do you want to be a vet" about 5,000 times (give or take ;) ), and I looked up a few hot topics in vet med so that I wasn't unable to answer questions about them, should they come up.

Thanks for the advice- reassuring and helpful!

Well that certainly eases some of my concern. Sounded so Mission: Impossible (in terms of meeting strict time limits, etc) from all of the scheduling emails that I received!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that certainly eases some of my concern. Sounded so Mission: Impossible (in terms of meeting strict time limits, etc) from all of the scheduling emails that I received!
Gluffalo - what is your preferred school? when is your interview?

Gluffalo - what is your preferred school? when is your interview?

So I'm in Group 7 for VMRCVM - that's around 9:30 a.m. on Sunday, January 19.

I've been invited to interview at Minnesota and Tufts, and am waiting on an interview decision from Penn and a formal decision from Georgia. Out of my current options, I'm most interested in Minnesota's program, but won't make any real decisions until I see them all.

I do, however, have to be extremely realistic about finances - VMRCVM's OOS costs are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than MN. My education is entirely on me to pay for. I've been nothing but impressed with VMRCVM's program. Can't wait to make it out there!

So I'm in Group 7 for VMRCVM - that's around 9:30 a.m. on Sunday, January 19.

I've been invited to interview at Minnesota and Tufts, and am waiting on an interview decision from Penn and a formal decision from Georgia. Out of my current options, I'm most interested in Minnesota's program, but won't make any real decisions until I see them all.

I do, however, have to be extremely realistic about finances - VMRCVM's OOS costs are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than MN. My education is entirely on me to pay for. I've been nothing but impressed with VMRCVM's program. Can't wait to make it out there!

You have some amazing choices...can't really go wrong with any of them! Costs are important but not the only factor of course. Best of luck to you and perhaps will see you at VMRCVM or Tufts!

You have some amazing choices...can't really go wrong with any of them! Costs are important but not the only factor of course. Best of luck to you and perhaps will see you at VMRCVM or Tufts!

Most certainly! Look for a tall, brown-haired, bearded guy named George.

Don't worry at all about the time limits. =) Either you'll have a lot to say and you'll get cut off, which isn't an issue as long as you're addressing the scenario, or you'll finish your main point quickly and the interviewers will ask you some follow-up questions.

This may sound impossible but if you try to sit back and enjoy the conversation, time will actually fly right by!

I will say I didn't like that I couldn't gauge my interviewers' reactions. It's all scripted so it's very, very difficult to pick up on any sort of feedback, which makes the whole situation a little uncomfortable, but you'll just have to trust yourself and the fact that you've gotten this far! =)

Is there a shuttle from Roanoke Airport to blacksburg?

its called the Smart Way bus. I took from campus to the airport one time. I think it was $5 but I feel like it might be more than that.

As an alternative, I'm renting a car and driving down mid-day on Saturday the 18th. If your flight gets in by 12:00 p.m. let me know and I'll happily give you a ride. Offer stands for anybody else, too, although I'll probably only have space for two.

I arrive at 4:30, so I guess I'll take the shuttle. But thanks anyways! :)

I arrive at 4:30, so I guess I'll take the shuttle. But thanks anyways! :)

No sweat. I'll be heading straight for the airport after Sunday's activities, as a separate option.

There are Sunday activities? Flight leaves sunday at 6am, so I need to see if there are shuttles to roanoke at 4am :/.

Anyways, am I the only one who is still nervous about MMIs?

There are Sunday activities? Flight leaves sunday at 6am, so I need to see if there are shuttles to roanoke at 4am :/.

Here's a link to the Smartbus. I'd plan ahead, the area is pretty small and my guess is that the bus won't run that early on a Sunday. You may have to go back Saturday night and sleep in Roanoke. Just a heads up-Roanoke is ~45 min away from Blacksburg by car. Bus trips usually take longer in general.
http://www.smartwaybus.com/

Update- I was just checking the website for the Smartbus. It does not run on Sundays at all.

Haha, nope I'm right there with ya about being nervous!

Yeah thats what I thought I shoud do, CHW. Gonna call the hotel and cancel that last night in blacksburg.

I'm interviewing Sunday so that's when all my stuff is going down.

MMI should be.....interesting.

Reactions: 1 users

Also - I was thinking about this today - if it's any consolation, the way I'm looking at the MMI is that the questions won't really be too far off from what we're expecting. Questions about ethics, our values, and our experiences are standard across all of them. The only difference is that we're meeting a bunch of different people, so it's split. And even if you mess one question up but do fine on the others, there's not just one, but a BUNCH of people that will say something like 'no, this person was very articulate for all of the other stations.' And then they give your acceptance.

So long as you're comfortable introducing yourself to lots of different people, I wouldn't have any reason to be more nervous than any interview.

Reactions: 2 users
Haven't decided yet, but somewhere in Christiansburg probably. What bus line is this?
I would not stay in Christiansburg(even though I am sure you have already made your reservations), That is about a 15-20 minute drive from blacksburg and the Blacksburg Transit will not be running early enough for you to make it to the interview. However, there is a taxi service in blacksburg that operates 24/7. Now your driver/car they drive may be sketchy but they are just local vocals trying to make a living and have returned me safe to my apartment many of times. just google blacksburg taxi and numbers will pop up.

Haha, nope I'm right there with ya about being nervous!
Blacksburg taxi drivers will take you there anytime of night/morning. I would suggest a couple of you guys taking a taxi together to cut down on cost.

Also - I was thinking about this today - if it's any consolation, the way I'm looking at the MMI is that the questions won't really be too far off from what we're expecting. Questions about ethics, our values, and our experiences are standard across all of them. The only difference is that we're meeting a bunch of different people, so it's split. And even if you mess one question up but do fine on the others, there's not just one, but a BUNCH of people that will say something like 'no, this person was very articulate for all of the other stations.' And then they give your acceptance.

So long as you're comfortable introducing yourself to lots of different people, I wouldn't have any reason to be more nervous than any interview.

I was under the impression that the scenarios and questions had NOTHING to do with vet med (in obvious ways, though I am sure that they all relate back to it in little ways).

Last edited:
I would not stay in Christiansburg(even though I am sure you have already made your reservations), That is about a 15-20 minute drive from blacksburg and the Blacksburg Transit will not be running early enough for you to make it to the interview. However, there is a taxi service in blacksburg that operates 24/7. Now your driver/car they drive may be sketchy but they are just local vocals trying to make a living and have returned me safe to my apartment many of times. just google blacksburg taxi and numbers will pop up.

How slow do you drive o_O I can get from Cburg (hotels/business area) to campus in 10min or less.

If anyone needs a ride in from Cburg during the week between 7-9am hit me up. I'll be heading to campus myself anyway.

I was under the impression that the scenarios and questions had NOTHING to do with vet med (in obvious ways, though I am sure that they all relate back to it in little ways). i.e. they could ask us about whether the internet should be monitored, what to do in a situation when a coworker isn't following a dress code, that sort of random thing.
Umm, so we sign confidentiality agreements about the MMI, but I feel comfortable telling you that nothing is off the table, vet med specific or otherwise. I hope this knowledge doesn't throw anyone off their game :oops:

Would somebody from group 7 mind posting our schedule and the things you're supposed to bring for registration (photo ID, etc.)? I can't find the email in my inbox (which means it got deleted somehow) and I am panicking a bit. Thanks in advance!

excited to meet everyone at the dinner this evening! :)

Last edited:
Would somebody from group 7 mind posting our schedule and the things you're supposed to bring for registration (photo ID, etc.)? I can't find the email in my inbox (which means it got deleted somehow) and I am panicking a bit. Thanks in advance!
I got your back!

Registration Overview:
When you arrive at registration, present your ID and your name will be verified against the list and group number. You will be provided with a name badge (with an identifying color code and starting scenario number). Along with the badge, you will have 8 labels with your name on them. When you enter each interview room, you will give one label to the evaluator in the room. You are also provided two blank pieces of paper to jot down notes when you read the scenarios. (Please note: you are not permitted to carry any personal belongings with you while completing the multiple mini-interviews. There is a place to put your personal belongings right before the interviews.)

Schedule:
GROUP 7:
9:30 - 9:50 AM Check-in; VMRCVM*
9:50 Vans from the veterinary school complex to take you to Career Services for the interviews
10:00 - 10:20 AM Interview Overview, 2nd Floor Classroom, Career Services
10:20 - 11:40 AM Eight multiple mini-interviews
11:50 - 12:20 Vans will take you for a campus tour
12:20 - 12:30 PM Break; Commons Area, Veterinary School complex (where you checked in)
12:30 - 1:20 PM Tour of the VMRCVM Hospital; the tour completes the interview schedule

Umm, so we sign confidentiality agreements about the MMI, but I feel comfortable telling you that nothing is off the table, vet med specific or otherwise. I hope this knowledge doesn't throw anyone off their game :oops:
Okay that's what I thought! I have talked to admissions counselers and that was essentially what they told me. Thanks for affirming that though! It is hard that they give you so few examples and past students can't give help... But I also understand that it levels the playing field. Just keeping my fingers crossed that I can relax enough tomorrow to just let it be as fun as it can be and be myself...

Hey everyone!

I'll be at the dinners tonight and tomorrow and hanging out with y'all before interviews as well. Very excited to meet you all! Feel free to ask questions, use me as a sounding board, vent, rant, whatever; unlike some other schools, only your interview is "graded" (as it were), so any time you spend hanging out with me is off the books. ;) My name is Vanessa if you need help finding me, haha.

Good luck, everyone!

Howdy, y'all! I'm on campus with nothing to do until dinner tonight (Saturday - interview is tomorrow). Message me or something if you're around!

Anyone know how fancy the dinner is? I'm trying to decide if I should wear heels or some warmer black boots.

I'm in group 6 (first group- yay for waking up early). I'm not very good at interviews so I'm kind of worried. I think I have b****y resting face syndrome lol!

im an undergrad at tech and had my interview today so if anyone has any questions about blacksburg or needs a ride too or from their interview tomorrow or anything like that feel free to message me.

Im leaving my apartment for the dinner around 5:40 or later; If any of you staying in blacksburg need a pick up i would be glad to help out.

Anyone know how fancy the dinner is? I'm trying to decide if I should wear heels or some warmer black boots.

I'm in group 6 (first group- yay for waking up early). I'm not very good at interviews so I'm kind of worried. I think I have b****y resting face syndrome lol!

I just received an email from Jill Wells saying the dinner is business casual, hope that helps you with your heels/boots dilemma :)

So what's the typical time it takes to hear back after the interviews are complete?

"Our intent is to contact applicants regarding offers on or about February 14, 2014."

And now, we wait. Blerg

This wait will be the cause of my hair not growing back (shaved my beard off for the interview).