vocational school to eventually become pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IAmTheBest35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, very quick question. i was planning on becoming a pharmacist, so i got my GE done at a CC and then i was planning on going to a university to get my BS in chem, then go to USC/UOP to finish.

my dad is footing the bill for now, and he thinks i should go to a vocational school to become a pharm tech then some how become a pharmacist that way. is this even feasible?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys, very quick question. i was planning on becoming a pharmacist, so i got my GE done at a CC and then i was planning on going to a university to get my BS in chem, then go to USC/UOP to finish.

my dad is footing the bill for now, and he thinks i should go to a vocational school to become a pharm tech then some how become a pharmacist that way. is this even feasible?

Don't waste your money on a vocational school. Buy a review book at take the PTCB exam if you really want to become a certified tech. You'll have the same result and not have spent 15 grand to do it.

The plan you outlined in the first paragraph is the way to do it. You'd have to do that regardless of whether you went to tech school or not.

Waste of time, waste of money. You can get a tech license much more easily reading on your own and taking the exam than sitting through a bull**** vocational school to get the exact same qualification.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm, interesting. thanks for the info. yea, i dont know why my dad would want me to go to a vocational school so badly? maybe he wants me to make a lot of money so i can afford school myself?

one thing he said is that doing the vocational school route is much faster and going to a university then USC/UOP would take way too long.

From what I've heard, you pretty much need a 4 year degree to get into pharmacy school in California.

hmm, interesting. thanks for the info. yea, i dont know why my dad would want me to go to a vocational school so badly? maybe he wants me to make a lot of money so i can afford school myself?

one thing he said is that doing the vocational school route is much faster and going to a university then USC/UOP would take way too long.

Sounds like he's confusing pharmacist with pharmacy technician. Regardless, vocational school is a complete scam. You end up making the same amount of money, but you have to pay 15 - 20 thousand and get a fake "degree" to do it.

Sounds like he's confusing pharmacist with pharmacy technician. Regardless, vocational school is a complete scam. You end up making the same amount of money, but you have to pay 15 - 20 thousand and get a fake "degree" to do it.

well, he is saying that through being a pharmacy technician, i can work towards being a pharmacist.

You don't really "climb the ladder" like that in pharmacy. A pharmacy tech can't become a pharmacist just by working at the pharmacy for a while. It's not like retail, where you work as a salesman and eventually work up to become a manager. Pharmacists have distinct knowledge that techs would never get.

Therefore, vocational school is a no-go if you wish to be a pharmacist.

Good luck though! (And hope your dad isn't a stubborn person who thinks he knows it all.. lol)

well, he is saying that through being a pharmacy technician, i can work towards being a pharmacist.
My dad was the same way. Tell him you don't need vocational school to be a pharmacy tech. Also tell him that being a pharmacy tech will help, but there is A LOT more you have to do to become a pharmacist. It really isn't worth the money to go through a program because when you get out you'll be in the same boat you are now, looking for a job. Better to get certified ASAP and start looking for jobs now while continuing to focus on pre-reqs and anything else you're doing before you apply.

Clueless parents =-/

Everyone else is on the money here OP.

Things to do in order of increasing importance:

1) Get your license by taking the PTCE after self-study
2) Try to get a job / volunteer
3) GET AS CLOSE TO STRAIGHT A GRADES AS YOU CAN

Some members of my family were the same way. DO NOT fall for it. Vocational school will in no way help you become a pharmacists, you will be wasting your time and money. Period.

You don't really "climb the ladder" like that in pharmacy. A pharmacy tech can't become a pharmacist just by working at the pharmacy for a while. It's not like retail, where you work as a salesman and eventually work up to become a manager. Pharmacists have distinct knowledge that techs would never get.

Therefore, vocational school is a no-go if you wish to be a pharmacist.

Good luck though! (And hope your dad isn't a stubborn person who thinks he knows it all.. lol)
lol.. he.. does know it all. but this idea he proposed to me wasnt making any sense. im at work right now and im going to be talking to him about it when i get off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clueless parents =-/

Everyone else is on the money here OP.

Things to do in order of increasing importance:

1) Get your license by taking the PTCE after self-study
2) Try to get a job / volunteer
3) GET AS CLOSE TO STRAIGHT A GRADES AS YOU CAN

number three is very encouraging, because i always get straight As. ;p thank you guys so much for the advice.

my chemistry teacher this past semester recommended those two for me. i live in california and if i dont want to move out of state, he said those are two very good schools for pharmacy. would you have any other suggestions?
edit: there really is no other reason for my reasoning to go there other than that he suggested it. im not too picky on the school.. i just want a good education.

my chemistry teacher this past semester recommended those two for me. i live in california and if i dont want to move out of state, he said those are two very good schools for pharmacy. would you have any other suggestions?

Sure. Touro, UCSF, & Western are all excellent schools that most certainly warrant applications. Naturally, I am a little biased toward UoP, but only applying to two schools is not the generally recommended way of going about things. All eggs in one basket, something like that.

There are a lot of good schools in California, but it is probably the most competitive state to get into. UCSF is another fantastic school of pharmacy. Take a look around at the other schools in the state and see if there's anything you're interested in...can't hurt to look at out-of-state schools in the area as well.

There are a lot of good schools in California, but it is probably the most competitive state to get into. UCSF is another fantastic school of pharmacy. Take a look around at the other schools in the state and see if there's anything you're interested in...can't hurt to look at out-of-state schools in the area as well.

But the PCAT sucks. :laugh:

alright, i listed those schools, and will look into them. im definitely going to apply to as many schools as possible!

alright, i listed those schools, and will look into them. im definitely going to apply to as many schools as possible!

It's a good bet.

I mean, even if you went OOS for your Pharm.D, NAPLEX is a snooze fest (just look @ pass rates) and, while everyone agrees that CPJE kind of sucks, most people self-study ridiculous amounts for it anyway and thus, you wouldn't be at a distinct disadvantage having not gone to a California school (Maybe a BIT of a disadvantage but not much).

Anyway, having a 4 year degree and a GPA over 3.7 will ensure you almost unilateral success, provided you are decorous in your interviewing skills and have at least a bit of extra-curricular activity (maybe a club if you actively seek a leadership role) or a sport, something like that.

In California, grades rule the roost, since the 4 year degree and grades is the only metric our schools use (no PCAT) to determine ability to handle academic rigor.

i talked to him and he still believes that the best way to go is through a vocational school, become a pharm tech so that i can make some money (i suspect this is a huge motivating factor), then go to a pharmacy school after that. he still says doing it that way is faster than going to a UC and getting a bachelors then going to a pharm school.

You should explain to your dad that you don't have to go to vocational school to get a pharm tech license.
All you have to do is 1) buy the textbook, 2) read it, 3) take the exam ..... 5) profit?

And since this seems to be a money issue (more or less) does your dad know how much pharm techs actually make?

yeea he knows. so all i have to do to become a pharm tech is get a license via an exam? sounds pretty easy. wouldnt i still need a bachelors in chemistry or something like that in order to start specializing in pharmacy?

i talked to him and he still believes that the best way to go is through a vocational school, become a pharm tech so that i can make some money (i suspect this is a huge motivating factor), then go to a pharmacy school after that. he still says doing it that way is faster than going to a UC and getting a bachelors then going to a pharm school.
Ok, tell him that you will be making the same amount of money as a tech as you are at your current job. I remember now that's what sold my dad. He looked at me and he's like, "well whats the point then?" I actually make less as a tech than I do at my other job serving tables in a restaurant lol.

yeea he knows. so all i have to do to become a pharm tech is get a license via an exam? sounds pretty easy. wouldnt i still need a bachelors in chemistry or something like that in order to start specializing in pharmacy?

I don't know what your knowledge base is to answer your questions properly. Being a tech does not lead to being a pharmacist. To be a tech, all you need is a license. No degree of any sort is required. The tech schools are a scam, plain and simple.

To be a pharmacist you need to do the prereqs and be accepted into a college of pharmacy. No bachelors required, unless you happen to live in California. It helps, but is not required.

I guess it is easy, but you still have to get the PTCB review book (on amazon or something) and study that for a couple of weeks. Then register for the exam through the PTCB website (google it) and take the exam.

As far as a bachelors goes. You don't HAVE to have one, but many california pharmacy schools (like UCSD) require you have a bachelors to apply.

Listen to your father if you want to waste time and money.

Give your dad some analogies:

You can't work up from a nurse's aid to a doctor without a degree, or from a paralegal to a lawyer. Pharmacy is no different.

Tech schools aren't scams. Sure, some of them PROBABLY are, but not all.

They do offer externships and networking, two very important things in 2011. Now, that said, they are more appropriate for folks wanting to make C. PhT their career (And there ARE those, and we need them!)

Your dad seems horribly misinformed (usually, they are...) as to how pharmacists are minted. I guess that makes sense. Anyone in my family / friends that I tell I'm in pharmacy school get this glazed look in their eyes, "Those people behind the counter at Rite-Aid have degrees?"

*sigh* Working in the fast food industry of the health care industry is frustrating sometimes. =-p

Tech schools aren't scams. Sure, some of them PROBABLY are, but not all.

Maybe scam is too strong, but how much do they cost vs what benefit do they provide? The ones I have seen are expensive and offer virtually no benefit to someone who can otherwise find employment. They don't offer a product that the market needs.

Now if you can't find a job as a tech...maybe they can offer some utility in terms of networking? IDK, I just don't see it. :shrug:

Going to vocational school would be a waste of time and money. What you need to work on are your prerequisites. Vocational schools are often not accredited, and can not offer you the prerequisites that you need.

Maybe scam is too strong, but how much do they cost vs what benefit do they provide? The ones I have seen are expensive and offer virtually no benefit to someone who can otherwise find employment. They don't offer a product that the market needs.

Now if you can't find a job as a tech...maybe they can offer some utility in terms of networking? IDK, I just don't see it. :shrug:

Externship is EXTREMELY valuable in this economy and networking, absolutely. I got beyond lucky when I got my tech job because he didn't want any experience. But as the economy got worse and worse and his margins got slimmer and slimmer, he got a lot pickier in whom he hired. It went from "on the job training" to "min 6 mos. exp" to "min 2 yrs exp" - To save on money and because, well, who DOESN'T want a more experienced person? It's a buyer's market for employer's right now. 1000 applications for 1 job in lots of places, LOL.

So, it is what you make of it. Naturally, just like pharmacy schools, some programs are more aggressive at helping their students than others and some programs have better connections than others. It is incumbent, then, upon the student to put forth effort as well and to do research on the programs.

Every single tech at the hospital group I worked/volunteered for had pharmacy technician program experience. It's analogous to rad tech and respiratory therapy schooling experience. The programs themselves basically put you into a mock pharmacy for months, where you do the actual job of a technician in a mock setting (not unlike a lot of pharmacy school). That means a graduate can go into a job with real first-hand knowledge of how to be a tech.

What does someone with a CPhT with no exp. bring? Nothing but headaches. C'mon. I am a fast, fast learner but it still took me a LONG time to catch onto the nuances of being a technician. "What's a prior auth mean again?" , "How many insurance plans ARE there?" etc.

It's easy to sit in our little pharmacy ivory tower and call the programs complete wastes but it is misrepresenting the truth. They may very well be a waste for a student who is in a degree program looking to get into pharmacy school in the near future, absolutely! But for someone who wants to be a career technician (there are lots of them) then it's a fine investment.

Not all of them cost $15,000 and such. There are a few in the central valley here in super expensive CA that won't run more than $6,000 and for career training that is acceptable. They aren't for everyone, of course, but to out-and-out label them wasteful and fraudulent is to do a great disservice to the legit. programs out there. Some could argue that there are pharm. schools out there that aren't contributing to the profession and aren't worth the money too, but that's often not the case.

For OP, it's a total waste, 100% absolutely.

Every single tech at the hospital group I worked/volunteered for had pharmacy technician program experience. It's analogous to rad tech and respiratory therapy schooling experience. The programs themselves basically put you into a mock pharmacy for months, where you do the actual job of a technician in a mock setting (not unlike a lot of pharmacy school). That means a graduate can go into a job with real first-hand knowledge of how to be a tech.

I only know one tech who went through a program. Obviously this could be a regional thing. From what I have seen, I am not impressed.

What does someone with a CPhT with no exp. bring? Nothing but headaches. C'mon. I am a fast, fast learner but it still took me a LONG time to catch onto the nuances of being a technician. "What's a prior auth mean again?" , "How many insurance plans ARE there?" etc.

I agree, it takes TIME to become proficient at being a tech. Hardly a day goes by where I don't pick up on something new.

It's easy to sit in our little pharmacy ivory tower and call the programs complete wastes but it is misrepresenting the truth. They may very well be a waste for a student who is in a degree program looking to get into pharmacy school in the near future, absolutely! But for someone who wants to be a career technician (there are lots of them) then it's a fine investment.

I never thought of myself as being a member of the ivory tower establishment. :laugh:

I still think if you can find a job without going through a program, you are better off. They are completely unnecessary, or at least should be used with very great caution.

Not all of them cost $15,000 and such. There are a few in the central valley here in super expensive CA that won't run more than $6,000 and for career training that is acceptable. They aren't for everyone, of course, but to out-and-out label them wasteful and fraudulent is to do a great disservice to the legit. programs out there. Some could argue that there are pharm. schools out there that aren't contributing to the profession and aren't worth the money too, but that's often not the case.

I was thinking that exact thing even while I was typing my previous post. It just so happens that in this case, I think it is true. :laugh:

For OP, it's a total waste, 100% absolutely.

:thumbup:

I still think if you can find a job without going through a program, you are better off. They are completely unnecessary, or at least should be used with very great caution.

No more completely unnecessary than a program for respiratory therapy, radiological technology or even culinary.

Yes, you certainly can go get a job in a restaurant if your heart sings to be an executive chef some day. But you will not have as good of a chance as someone who went through a reputable program to gain insight and networking in the field. Same deal with pharm. tech programs.

We could go around and around. I have worked full-time in one pharmacy and part-time in 3 pharmacies in different markets and areas (1 indy retail, 1 big box retail, 2 hospitals) and the techs were all school-educated. Perhaps that's owing to the extreme competition in CA. But there is no doubt in my mind that for someone wanting to make it a career, a program is a better bet than not. Have you honestly tried to find a job in the last 6 months? It is brutal. My best friend got laid off at his job and has been struggling to find somewhere to work - anywhere. Gas stations aren't even hiring. The pharmacies in Stockton are only hiring experienced folks. You won't get any job with a pharmacy that wants exp. if all you've done is pass the exam and gotten a license. No. Chance. Not around here.

And for a person that intends to make it a career it's a solid career choice, just like rad tech, resp ther, or even paralegal. But, since we're all elitist pharmacists in training, we simply can't imagine anyone who would actually want to just be a technician as a career. Fair enough, I have heard that more than once so far in this line of work. LOL.

I guess this can all be summed up in the wise words my dad pounded into my head since as long as I can remember: Caveat emptor.

We could go around and around. I have worked full-time in one pharmacy and part-time in 3 pharmacies in different markets and areas (1 indy retail, 1 big box retail, 2 hospitals) and the techs were all school-educated. Perhaps that's owing to the extreme competition in CA. But there is no doubt in my mind that for someone wanting to make it a career, a program is a better bet than not. Have you honestly tried to find a job in the last 6 months? It is brutal. My best friend got laid off at his job and has been struggling to find somewhere to work - anywhere. Gas stations aren't even hiring. The pharmacies in Stockton are only hiring experienced folks. You won't get any job with a pharmacy that wants exp. if all you've done is pass the exam and gotten a license. No. Chance. Not around here.

To be fair, I have never tried to get a job as a tech - I only know that of the techs I have worked with (Maybe 10-15? Three hospital, the rest retail) only one went through a program. I am skeptical, to put it mildly.

Some of my classmates struggled (unsuccessfully) to find jobs, but my hometown has no pharmacy school and I have never had trouble finding work over the summer as an intern. I wouldn't even know how luck I am if not for SDN.

And for a person that intends to make it a career it's a solid career choice, just like rad tech, resp ther, or even paralegal. But, since we're all elitist pharmacists in training, we simply can't imagine anyone who would actually want to just be a technician as a career. Fair enough, I have heard that more than once so far in this line of work. LOL.

I'm stunned. Surely you don't think that of me? :xf:

Passion4Sci speaks the truth. :thumbup: Pharm Tech programs are not always bad.

You might not even have to go to a vocational school. Some junior colleges offer affordable and accredited programs. Be sure to check up on the school before you jump in. Who are the instructors, is the program accredited, and where are their externship sites are all important questions to ask.

I went through an accredited program at my local JuCo while I was finishing up the last of my pre-req courses and it helped me tremendously. Through the program I met 2 wonderful pharmacists who were the instructors, one of whom is a regional director of experiential program for a top 10 pharmacy school. One of the administrator for the program was the head pharmacy tech for a long time at a large hospital and have all kinds of employment connections. I was also hired on right after my externship program.

The knowledge I gained in the program are also valuable. I learned something about pharmacy math, insurance adjudication, compounding, top 200 brand/generic names, basic pharmacology, pharmacy history, federal, and state laws. These are all very good things to know. I am sure most will agree that retail tech is not a job for the faint of heart. The more you can do to prepare yourself the better, if you have the means and the time.

To recap, things I gained from the program:
1. Got to know some wonderful RPh's
2. Knowledge
3. A job (retail tech)
4. 2 LOR's for pharmacy school applications (bet most of you didn't see that one coming)

I am now chilling and waiting to start pharmacy school this fall :cool:, and I have no regrets about going through the pharm tech program.:love:

Be sure to check out the pharm tech program before enrolling if you do decide to attend one.

This has got to be a troll thread, especially since op keeps insisting his dad believes there is somehow a way for him to work his way up to a pharmacist :confused: why do people always think they can somehow take shortcuts when the rest if us spend years slaving away in pharmacy school ? :confused: if there was a shortcut way, I am russian- I'd be on it. :laugh:

This has got to be a troll thread, especially since op keeps insisting his dad believes there is somehow a way for him to work his way up to a pharmacist :confused: why do people always think they can somehow take shortcuts when the rest if us spend years slaving away in pharmacy school ? :confused: if there was a shortcut way, I am russian- I'd be on it. :laugh:

:rofl:

About time. :rolleyes: owle knows. :p

Incidentally, I didn't know that about Russians...

I only know one tech who went through a program. Obviously this could be a regional thing. From what I have seen, I am not impressed.

Agreed. I think they're a rip-off for the vast majority of people living in my area, but I could see where they might be useful for someone looking for long term tech position in a particularly brutal market like California, as P4S mentioned. I'd bet that just about every benefit a person could gain from one of these programs could be gained more easily through on the job training and independent study, but the obvious catch is that you have to be able to get a position.

My retail pharmacy just hired 3 new part time techs, none of which are certified or have previous pharmacy experience, and only one of them used a connection as an "in". Of course, we just lost two experienced techs and I'm going off to pharmacy school soon, so there was a certain amount of luck involved in any of these people being hired.

Agreed. I think they're a rip-off for the vast majority of people living in my area, but I could see where they might be useful for someone looking for long term tech position in a particularly brutal market like California, as P4S mentioned. I'd bet that just about every benefit a person could gain from one of these programs could be gained more easily through on the job training and independent study, but the obvious catch is that you have to be able to get a position.

My retail pharmacy just hired 3 new part time techs, none of which are certified or have previous pharmacy experience, and only one of them used a connection as an "in". Of course, we just lost two experienced techs and I'm going off to pharmacy school soon, so there was a certain amount of luck involved in any of these people being hired.

And I, for one, would not be OK sitting on my laurels waiting for that kind of lucky break, with bills coming due and mouths to feed, yanno?

Certainly, even NOW, someone could luck into a job at a pharmacy as a clerk or a technician. Totally possible... but it's not very likely. And that is one place where the tech programs have their use.

I toured a tech program's building when I was first looking into pharmacy and was in the shoes of many of the folks that are on this board posting for the first time right now. I was impressed because the "classrooms" were laid out like pharmacies, and everything is simulated and recreated, right down to dealing with very angry, loud people while trying to maintain composure and accuracy in your work.

Actually working in a "pharmacy" is something that independent study won't provide. On the job training, as I noted, isn't really high on MANY employers' lists right now. Budgets are the worst they've been in generations. Why not just hire someone w/ exp? *shrug*

But, this horse has been incinerated now so... I'll leave it be :)

Status
Not open for further replies.