Voice Recorder

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prince_moses

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I finally ran into some cash last week and I had been thinking of the best way to make it a educational investment it's not much so I had an idea to purchase a voice recorder to record my prof's at lectures.

I just want to get feedback on anyone that does this and what's the best method to take advantage of recordings.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll record them, spend all the money on the tapes, and NEVER have time to listen to them. Trust me, don't kid yourself ;)

BUY AN iPod INSTEAD!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
during my senior year in college, i used a voice recorder to tape a lot of my upper division bio lectures. our school was highly competitive and the majority of the exams were all based on lecture, so i figured why not. it turned out to be extremely useful. it is tedious, listening to the lecture, pausing it, taking notes, etc. i guess you just have to get used to it. it took me about an hour or two per lecture which i figured in the long run wasn't really that bad. also, these days, you can pick up tapeless digital recorders with hours of recording time. check out fry's, best buy, costco, etc. anyway, good luck with whatever you choose.

I recorded classes too, and would listen to them as I took walks. once i got into those "chalkboard classes" though (you know...organic, physics, etc) I stopped doing this, for obvious reasons. I think if you make the time, you would have time to listen to them (you could, for example, use the time that you'd otherwise study the lecture outline listening to the tapes) but, I understand that ppl tend to skip class in medical school, electing to study instead--something else to keep in mind.
i personally think the recording thing is a great idea, so go for it if you are sure you'll go to class and sure that you'll make time to listen to them.
oh...I once had a mini disc player/recorder...loved it, but it broke...if they still sell those, and if you can find one with a microphone, get that.

I have a mini digital recorder and it comes very handy sometimes. Especially the night after I stay up late studying/writing papers and really cannot stay up during a boring lecture. This only works for classes that does not require a whole lot of visual aids. For example, my cell biology class prof has the entire class notes printed on line and he just goes over them in class. So whenever I'm tired and can't pay attention but can't really miss that class, I go in, turn on my recorder(it has settings for normal and lecture), sit in the very back, and go to sleep. Then I go over it late at night whenever I am clear headed.
I know, I know, it's probably not a very smart thing to do but so far, it has worked for me ! I wish I would've done this with all of my general requirement classes(history, philosophy, etc.) because obviously you can't do this with chem or phys.
Good luck ! A typical digital recorder a size of a cell phone costs around $50 at Wal Mart and can record up to 6 hours(normal setting - some static) or up to 3 hours of lecture(very crisp and clear). It's up to however you want to use it.

Sweet feedback, so I went ahead and baught a cheap sony
microcassette recorder for like $40, damn i wish i lived in the states that would have been like $30 whatever. Anyways thanks for all the great replys as for the decision only time will tell.

:p

tape recorders are life savers! just like what one poster said, whenever i simply can't concentrate in class because of staying up too late finishing a paper or something, and i still NEED to attend the class, i usually go to my bio class and just turn my recorder on... i don't sleep tho..one time my bio prof literally asked me to wake up the sleeping (and snoring) girl seated beside me when he was discussing the metabolic pathways..i felt so ashamed for her! :D

In retrospect, I would get an Ipod with the recorder attachment. I use a Sony minidisc recorder, it's pretty good, but you can't transfer the files to your computer.

I record the lectures that I tend to doze off toward the end and it lets me review the material that I may have been distracted during.