Voice recorders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mohova2g

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a voice recorder but I'm just wondering how useful it will be. Anyone have experiences with it and if so which one do you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

wait...does your school videotape lectures? you might be able to convert that to an mp3 rather than deal with a recorder.

BozoSparky said:
wait...does your school videotape lectures? you might be able to convert that to an mp3 rather than deal with a recorder.

I don't think they do. My undergrad biochem lectures were taped and I found that really helpful. However, I'm pretty sure they don't tape the lectures in my med school which is why I wanted the voice recorder.

Members don't see this ad :)
IPOd Video has 2 voice recorders out currently one by xtreme mac (which I have) and one by Belkin-these plug into the bottom of the ipod and record directly on to it then you can upload them into itunes really easily-check out ilounge for a complete review

Or, if you don't have an iPod, many competing mp3 players also have voice recorders, in addition to playing media, FM tuner, etc... features that the iPod makes you pay extra for. Plus they are cheaper than iPods. They will record directly to .mp3 or .wma, which you can then upload to your computer and play with any media player. Check out cnet.com for reviews and the like. My school has scribes, but I think I'll at least try my voice recorder for awhile and see if it helps.

I can't get through audio recordings of lectures because there's always interruptions during the presentation or static and I can never sync it up to where the professor was on the Powerpoint slide.

Anyone have any recommendations on little video recorders for a laptop?

I used a sony voice recorder (sound quality was really good compared to the built in recorder on my mp3 player) that recorder letures to wav and then I converted them to mp3 and posted them on our school website threw out the first 2 years of med school. Man did some of those lectures come in handy when I needed to review during third and forth year.

Long Dong said:
I used a sony voice recorder (sound quality was really good compared to the built in recorder on my mp3 player) that recorder letures to wav and then I converted them to mp3 and posted them on our school website threw out the first 2 years of med school. Man did some of those lectures come in handy when I needed to review during third and forth year.

I used a Panasonic Voice Recorder in undergrad.

Overall I found it not to be so useful, although it seemed like a really great idea.

mohova2g said:
I'm thinking about getting a voice recorder but I'm just wondering how useful it will be. Anyone have experiences with it and if so which one do you recommend?

A lot of new computers will let you digitally record lectures right to your hard drive.

mohova2g said:

iPod

The extreme mac one has 3.5 hrs of recording (on low quality, which doesn't matter if your just recording voice) and is incredibly easy to sync and download the lecures to itunes. Other people will recommend other brands b/c the ipod & accesories are too expensive but I find the ease of use and quality to be worth the price in my opinion

Hi there,
Most schools record lectures these days both vid and aud. These can be downloaded by computer if you find that you need to review something. I found that I NEVER listened to a lecture tape or reviewed a video even if I had not attended the class. This stuff took too much time and was low yield in terms of study.

I studied my class notes (or noteservice), my course syllabus and any assignments/handouts given by the professor. Re-listening to lecture was not efficient for me.

njbmd :)