Voiding MCAT after submitting secondary....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GK135

Reaction score
Hello everyone! English is my second language and I did not speak the language until late teen so please bear with me for the next few sentences. I have been studying MCAT since August for the test on September 19 (This will be my first MCAT), but I realized that I am not ready for the exam (getting around 500 on KP and NS). It is too late to cancel my exam, so I am going to void my MCAT. I already submitted my primary apps (5 schools) and secondary apps (2 schools). Additionally, I set an upcoming MCAT exam date (9/19) on the standardized tests section of the primary application.

Here are my questions:
  1. Since I am voiding my exam, do I just click NO to the question (Q: Do you want to include upcoming or recently taken MCAT exam dates?)?

2. Will it cause any issues (submitted primary and secondary apps to 2 schools but no MCAT score) when I reapply next year? I know that being reapplicant can be a bad thing but does it make it worse since I incompleted my application (no/void MCAT score) after secondary?
I am really concerned about the process after voiding my mcat since I submitted secondary to a couple schools. Some people in Reddit told me that I can get around 505 on real MCAT and apply to DO schools. I have 3.95 GPA so I prefer an MD program. If I can void this time and make a better score (510+) next year, I want to void my score. I know this is the worst decision I ever made as a first applicant, but I really need help to fix the problem...

Note:I am US citizen, but English is my second language.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are a couple of red flags that I see:
1) studying for the MCAT since August for an exam date in Sept 19 for the FIRST time you take the exam? That was a bit of poor planning (your practice test scores are not surprising since you've just started REALLY studying for it) On side note: it wasn't clear if you were retaking an MCAT or if it was your first time.
2) WIthout any evidence you'll do well on the MCAT (practice scores) you proceeded to submit your primaries. Furthermore, you even submitted secondaries... This was an unmistakable mistake albeit you admitted to it.
3) You've only mentioned studying with material from third-party MCAT companies.

Now for the positive stuff (to the best of my knowledge):
1) You're only considered a reapplicant TO THE SCHOOLS YOU APPLIED TO. (disclaimer: some schools ask if you've applied to ANY med school before on their secondaries)
2) Anything that is NOT AAMC MCAT practice material is usually not an accurate prediction of your score (Usually people score near the average of their 3 AAMC FL tests)

Since English is your second language, I'm unsure what your nationality status is. If you are not a permanent resident/US citizen, the road you're about the embark on is very grueling (but possible). If you are, then with a GPA of 3.9 I think you would have a good shot at MD schools if you get the MCAT you say you want (but that's never a given).

If I were you, I would withdraw my application from the 2 schools you submitted secondaries at (you'll never be complete there anyway since you have no MCAT score) and not turn in secondaries for the remaining three. Doing this, I don't think you'll have too much trouble in the long run (more or less, more informed people can contest me if they know better :p)

Edit: added (but possible)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There are a couple of red flags that I see:
1) studying for the MCAT since August for an exam date in Sept 19 for the FIRST time you take the exam? That was a bit of poor planning (your practice test scores are not surprising since you've just started REALLY studying for it) On side note: it wasn't clear if you were retaking an MCAT or if it was your first time.
2) WIthout any evidence you'll do well on the MCAT (practice scores) you proceeded to submit your primaries. Furthermore, you even submitted secondaries... This was an unmistakable mistake albeit you admitted to it.
3) You've only mentioned studying with material from third-party MCAT companies.

Now for the positive stuff (to the best of my knowledge):
1) You're only considered a reapplicant TO THE SCHOOLS YOU APPLIED TO. (disclaimer: some schools ask if you've applied to ANY med school before on their secondaries)
2) Anything that is NOT AAMC MCAT practice material is usually not an accurate prediction of your score (Usually people score near the average of their 3 AAMC FL tests)

Since English is your second language, I'm unsure what your nationality status is. If you are not a permanent resident/US citizen, the road you're about the embark on is very grueling (but possible). If you are, then with a GPA of 3.9 I think you would have a good shot at MD schools if you get the MCAT you say you want (but that's never a given).

If I were you, I would withdraw my application from the 2 schools you submitted secondaries at (you'll never be complete there anyway since you have no MCAT score) and not turn in secondaries for the remaining three. Doing this, I don't think you'll have too much trouble in the long run (more or less, more informed people can contest me if they know better :p)

Edit: added (but possible)
I greatly appreciate your comments, but I still have a few questions to ask you.
Do I need to inform an upcoming test date (9/19) on the primary application (standardized tests section)? Also, I do not know how to withdraw my secondaries (cannot find withdraw button on online secondary applications)... do I call them and let them know I like to withdraw my secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
I greatly appreciate your comments, but I still have a few questions to ask you.
Do I need to inform an upcoming test date (9/19) on the primary application (standardized tests section)? Also, I do not know how to withdraw my secondaries (cannot find withdraw button on online secondary applications)... do I call them and let them know I like to withdraw my secondaries?
1) No need to contact AMCAS
2) contact all the individual schools and tell them you are withdrawing your application
3) cancel your MCAT or simply no show
4) study for MCAT and take early next year
5) submitting an application without an MCAT score is an absolute mistake that premeds should never make
6) research schools via MSAR and target with GPA and MCAT score

Hmm I'm unsure why you're wondering about the primary application upcoming test date section when you (hopefully) plan to withdraw. To my best knowledge, it doesn't really matter at this point. You have to fill out a new primary application the next time you apply anyway.

I think you can just send the school admissions an email saying something along the lines of "I am sending this e-mail to inform you that I would like to withdraw my application for this current cycle. Please kindly remove my application from your consideration." something along those lines should do.

Also, I've heard different things about taking the exam "for practice" and then voiding. Uhh, Just remember to VOID and not "take the chance" if you decide to do this. The MCAT is too important of a test to "let's just see what I get" when your practice scores are nowhere near where you want.

I would take gonnif's advice seriously as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.