Voiding Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malisa

OB/Gyn
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I may end up voiding this test since I do not feel prepared at all. On the admission ticket it says ask your supervisor if you want to void. So do I really have to ask them or is there something to bubble in if you want to void. I'd really don't want everyone to know I'm voiding my score (stupid pride). I'm basically going to be using this as a very expensive practice test.

On another note would it hurt me to make a not so great score and retake for a higher score? I'd like to have this one scored but if will hurt me later on then it's not worth it. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you must approach one of the proctors to void -- there is no "bubble." They will let you know when the final opportunity to do so is.

As for your other question, it depends on how poorly you do, on why you don't feel prepared right now, and on the rest of your application. No truly easy answer there.

when my buddy took it in april he said they announced it in front of everyone and asked "DOES ANYBODY HERE WANT TO VOID YOUR EXAM? THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE - PLEASE COME TO THE FRONT OF THE ROOM."

haha, its horrible. gotta have cojones to do it.

Wow seems like they really don't want you to void your test. Seems like it would be better for them if more people voided and then they wouldn't have to grade as many. Man I hope there aren't too terribly many people I know there because I'm going to be pritty damn embarassed if I'm the only person who gets up.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's no reason to be embarrassed because I guarantee that although you may be the only walking up, over half the room will be wondering if they should follow you :)

It's a lot smarter to void than have a bad score on your record. Be brave! :luck:

Our proctor was surprised when nobody got up at the end......but yea its pretty public. Also depends on the number of people per room. Ours had about 40 or so (of like a few hundred at the test center), so I guess only the people in your room know. But its no biggie.....you gotto do what you gotto do and thats the bottom line. Forget about pride.

I have a question about this as well. If you void does it not show up on your record at all? (like it doesnt even show that you sat in?). I wonder how many people have gone in with the intention to void then felt it went good and didn't and actually did well.

go lakers said:
when my buddy took it in april he said they announced it in front of everyone and asked "DOES ANYBODY HERE WANT TO VOID YOUR EXAM? THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE - PLEASE COME TO THE FRONT OF THE ROOM."

haha, its horrible. gotta have cojones to do it.

Yeah, that WOULD be incredibly embarrassing...wear a hat? Jk...

i voided and just told the proctor at lunch that I would be so he wouldnt make me walkup in front of everyone. It is the easiest way to do it.

allennh said:
i voided and just told the proctor at lunch that I would be so he wouldnt make me walkup in front of everyone. It is the easiest way to do it.

Yeah I was wondering if that would work. Thanks that is exactly what I'm going to do. :oops:

I took the April 2006 MCAT knowing I was going to void it. We took it in an auditorium, so we roughly had about 200 people there and I was surprised I was the only one who voided it.
The proctors thought I was crazy to sit thru a 7 hour exam and void it.

mnmsuccess said:
I took the April 2006 MCAT knowing I was going to void it. We took it in an auditorium, so we roughly had about 200 people there and I was surprised I was the only one who voided it.
The proctors thought I was crazy to sit thru a 7 hour exam and void it.

Wow so you had to go in front of everyone and void your test? This is really making me nervous.

malisa said:
I think I may end up voiding this test since I do not feel prepared at all. On the admission ticket it says ask your supervisor if you want to void. So do I really have to ask them or is there something to bubble in if you want to void. I'd really don't want everyone to know I'm voiding my score (stupid pride). I'm basically going to be using this as a very expensive practice test.

On another note would it hurt me to make a not so great score and retake for a higher score? I'd like to have this one scored but if will hurt me later on then it's not worth it. :scared:

DO NOT GO IF YOU FEEL UNPREPED... YOU WILL HAVE A VOID ON YOUR RECORD FOREVER. SCHOOLS WILL ASK ABOUT IT.

isnt it better to just get a re-fund, or is that not possible anymore?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.TobiasFünke said:
DO NOT GO IF YOU FEEL UNPREPED... YOU WILL HAVE A VOID ON YOUR RECORD FOREVER. SCHOOLS WILL ASK ABOUT IT.

Actually this statement is false..... Schools WILL NOT be notified of your voided test. ONLY the AAMC will be notified of your voided test. This voided test WILL BE counted as one of your three allowed attempts at the MCAT.

rcmustang65 said:
Actually this statement is false..... Schools WILL NOT be notified of your voided test. ONLY the AAMC will be notified of your voided test. This voided test WILL BE counted as one of your three allowed attempts at the MCAT.
if i'm not mistaken you can take the test more than 3 times now with the new CBT format.

n0chi said:
isnt it better to just get a re-fund, or is that not possible anymore?

I'm pretty sure you're past the point of no return as far as refunds go. Your request has to be postmarked 10 business days in advance if I'm not mistaken.

Dr.TobiasFünke said:
In my exam like 3 people voided... it isnt a big deal.

Same here. People see you get up, yes, but no one will remember your face once they're out of the room. It's the flipping MCAT, no one cares about you- do what you need to do and don't worry about what people are thinking, I can tell you what they're thinking: "Man, that was hard."

rcmustang65 said:

thats not what every princeton review teacher and pre-med advisor i've ever had told me...

allennh said:

did they let you stay for the whole test though? like for the writing and bio section? I'm afraid they are going to be like...you are going to void, so why take the rest of the test...and then tell me to leave.
hehe

thanks for your input!

bubbles17 said:
did they let you stay for the whole test though? like for the writing and bio section? I'm afraid they are going to be like...you are going to void, so why take the rest of the test...and then tell me to leave.
hehe

thanks for your input!

If you want to void at the end, you will have to walk up in front of everyone, yes.

Dr.TobiasFünke said:

This is completely wrong. Schools don't know that you voided and AAMC doesn't count it as one of your times sitting for the exam. If you void it this time you can STILL take it the three times you're allowed - if need be - before you have to get special permission to take it again. In reference to your first question though... they will call out the "last chance" at the end of the test and unless you have something pre-arranged with the proctore beforehand, like someone else was saying they did, then you'll have to walk up in front of everyone. It is better to get one good score than take the real deal as your diagnostic.

kdburton said:
This is completely wrong. Schools don't know that you voided and AAMC doesn't count it as one of your times sitting for the exam. If you void it this time you can STILL take it the three times you're allowed - if need be - before you have to get special permission to take it again. In reference to your first question though... they will call out the "last chance" at the end of the test and unless you have something pre-arranged with the proctore beforehand, like someone else was saying they did, then you'll have to walk up in front of everyone. It is better to get one good score than take the real deal as your diagnostic.

I think everything you said is correct, except that it does count for one of your three (if I am reading it correctly):

If you void your answer documents, your participation in this administration of the MCAT exam will not be reported to AMCAS or to non-AMCAS schools. However, even if you void, you are regarded as having attended the test and, therefore, not eligible for a refund. Also, if you wish to register after having attended three or more MCAT exams (whether you voided your scores or not), you must request and obtain permission each time you wish to retest.

Knickerbocker said:
I think everything you said is correct, except that it does count for one of your three (if I am reading it correctly):

If you void your answer documents, your participation in this administration of the MCAT exam will not be reported to AMCAS or to non-AMCAS schools. However, even if you void, you are regarded as having attended the test and, therefore, not eligible for a refund. Also, if you wish to register after having attended three or more MCAT exams (whether you voided your scores or not), you must request and obtain permission each time you wish to retest.

Hooray for accuracy. :)

Ok one more question just in case... If I decide to void before lunch (I really might just chicken out) can I do it without causing too big of a deal? Like can I go up to them after they collect the tests before lunch and ask to void?

malisa said:
Ok one more question just in case... If I decide to void before lunch (I really might just chicken out) can I do it without causing too big of a deal? Like can I go up to them after they collect the tests before lunch and ask to void?

I don't understand why you're even torturing yourself with this? Since you've made a decision to take the test on Saturday, try to use this last week to focus on your weakness instead of thinking about the possibility of voiding. You need to go in there full of confidence and not with a wishy-washy attitude. If you feel like you're going to void, do yourself a favor and not even go to the exam. Come Saturday, you might be so embarrassed to void at the end of the day and wind up with a score that you didn't want 2 months later.

malisa said:

If you're getting it in your head that you might chicken out, then you probably will. I don't mean to be blunt, but once you start going down this road there's no going back. You need to decide beforehand whether or not you're ready to go through with it. If your sitting there deliberating about voiding your test, than you lose focus on the test itself to the deteriment of your score.

I actually know a couple of people done with the Physical and Verbal, and never return for Writing and Biological section.

RAD11 said:
I don't understand why you're even torturing yourself with this? Since you've made a decision to take the test on Saturday, try to use this last week to focus on your weakness instead of thinking about the possibility of voiding. You need to go in there full of confidence and not with a wishy-washy attitude. If you feel like you're going to void, do yourself a favor and not even go to the exam. Come Saturday, you might be so embarrassed to void at the end of the day and wind up with a score that you didn't want 2 months later.

I've already decided to void which was on the previous page of talking about voiding. I was wondering though if I could void at lunch time if I didn't want to stay for the rest of the test. Doesn't something different happen if you don't show up at all? I read something on another thread that it will show up that you took the MCAT instead of voiding it which nothing shows up. I might be wrong but someone was talking about it before.