Volcom Suit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asphyxiatia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm joining my school's premed frat, so I'm in the market for a nice suit to wear on formal occasions. However, I'm very picky when it comes to suits. I like my clothes to feel somewhat tight fitting (not super skinny jeans tight.. just fittedish) and I ran across this suit in black.

http://www.amazon.com/Volcom-Dapper...44OE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1296087812&sr=8-2

I loved the fit of this particular suit. My only hesitation is that it's branding could be construed as childish in a way? Volcom typically makes clothes for teens/early 20somethings, would this suit be fine to present myself in? Also, if I don't gain weight (which I highly doubt I will) I'd like to someday wear this suit to future med school interviews. Would this attire be appropriate for them?

And one last dressing question... could I wear any color dress shirt underneath the suit I wanted (for social events, not med interviews) like say I felt... purple one night. Would wearing a purple shirt underneath the coat be acceptable?

Members don't see this ad.

volcom + suit = throw-up in my mouth

Try buying a quality suit and getting it tailored. Don't expect to get a perfectly fitting suit straight from the store.

I'm sure captainnerd will drift through these parts and deliver the official word.

I'd buy the suit if you want to look like a typical frat-house tool. You'd fit right in. I'm assuming you don't want to do that, so please don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't buy that. Buy a real suit and get it tailored. Join a real frat.

Don't buy the suit. Don't join the pre-med fraternity. Five years from now, you'll look back at this post and shake your head.

Also, no to purple.

That is all.

Get a big boy suit and get it tailored. You will look ridiculous if you wear that to an interview. Also, suits are supposed to be tailored, not look fitted off the rack.

You can wear a purple shirt for going out, but it is not an appropriate color for an interview. Typically, blue and white are the two most appropriate for interviews.

Product Description

Pull on the Volcom Dapper Stone Suit, get yourself a wireless headset and briefcase, and strut around downtown coffee shops with an overload of self-importance. With any luck, you'll strike the fancy of some divorced gold-digger looking for a new boy-toyif you play your cards right, you might be able to whip her Lexus for a few weeks until she finds out you're a total phony.

:laugh: I think this says it all.....they're not even taking it seriously, why would anyone else

Haha; I'll take it my assumptions were right. So let's change this question. Where could I get a suit in the 200ish price range that would fit me nicely? Not baggy like things I purchase out of a department store. One that would work for formal occasions and possibly med school interviews down the road?

Haha; I'll take it my assumptions were right. So let's change this question. Where could I get a suit in the 200ish price range that would fit me nicely? Not baggy like things I purchase out of a department store. One that would work for formal occasions and possibly med school interviews down the road?

Joseph A. Banks if you find something on sale. (great sale right now on wool/cashmere suit that would look great on a slim guy)

Men's Wearhouse

Department stores with tailors on the premises (Saks, Nordstroms)

Try somewhere like Macy's, especially if they are having a sale. Again, get it tailored to fit. The alterations will cost ~$50. No suit is meant to wear straight off the rack.

Men's wearhouse is great, but you'll end up spending $400+ for something nice.

No matter where you buy your suit you should expect to get it tailored.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second Men's Wearhouse. I bought my suit from them and I like it a lot. Just keep an eye on their sales-they go through periods where everything is discounted by quite a bit.

Also, don't buy a $200 dollar suit. It's a way better idea to just buy something of decent quality up-front. You'll end up spending less money that way, since you won't have to buy something better later on.

My brother has this suit. He's 16. It looks really good on him, but I would say a definite "no" for interviews (along with everyone else here).

That said, stuff like this is typically fine for frat parties. In my experience, you don't want to be overdressed and interview-looking at frat parties, even the formals. I always thought guys that looked like they just came from their first interview ever in their ill-fitting dad-style suits looked a little silly....

One of my friends has an "interview" suit and a "party" suit. He is an idiot but this is a stroke of genius. You'd be surprised what could happen to your suit at a good party..... :p

Also: join a non pre-Med frat. The words "pre-Med" and "frat" don't belong together ;)

volcom + suit = throw-up in my mouth

Try buying a quality suit and getting it tailored. Don't expect to get a perfectly fitting suit straight from the store.

I'm sure captainnerd will drift through these parts and deliver the official word.

I'd buy the suit if you want to look like a typical frat-house tool. You'd fit right in. I'm assuming you don't want to do that, so please don't.

Yea go to a store that sell's men's clothing and get a couple of suits tailored to fit you.

I second Men's Wearhouse. I bought my suit from them and I like it a lot. Just keep an eye on their sales-they go through periods where everything is discounted by quite a bit.

Also, don't buy a $200 dollar suit. It's a way better idea to just buy something of decent quality up-front. You'll end up spending less money that way, since you won't have to buy something better later on.

Yes, if you can afford it I guess. I is broke yo, so I got a Brooks Brothers suit (yes, haha), but if you get it tailored properly, I think even a less expensive suit can look good for interviews (especially considering the number of guys with baggy-ass suits hanging off them that I saw on the interview circuit - fresh of the shelf baby!). I think I got mine for like 150.

pre-med frat =/= frat

frat hard(er) man

To the people that keep telling me to join a real frat; I'm not into the frat scene really. And the "frat" i'm joining is more of a community service oriented thing. There's get togethers and party's but nothing on the grand scale of a normal fraternity. Also it's open to men and women.

And thanks for all the advice guys. I honestly have no clue when it comes to wearing dressier clothes since I honestly ever wear dressy clothes to funerals, weddings, and the rare occasion i go to church.

And I cannot afford a suit more than ~200 at all. I go to school on scholarships and state grants. My family doesnt contribute anything at all to me.

To the people that keep telling me to join a real frat; I'm not into the frat scene really. And the "frat" i'm joining is more of a community service oriented thing. There's get togethers and party's but nothing on the grand scale of a normal fraternity. Also it's open to men and women.

And thanks for all the advice guys. I honestly have no clue when it comes to wearing dressier clothes since I honestly ever wear dressy clothes to funerals, weddings, and the rare occasion i go to church.

And I cannot afford a suit more than ~200 at all. I go to school on scholarships and state grants. My family doesnt contribute anything at all to me.
Yeah I'm pretty sure I understand what you're talking about with the Pre-Med Fraternity, something like this right? http://nationalaed.org/

Don't buy a volcom suit or join a frat.

Get a nice(r) suit and get it tailored. It's an investment, and you look super snazzy.

Here's a little secret.... go to a thrift shop in a very posh suburb or the ritz section of a big city. Not a consignment shop but a shop that sells donated items to raise money for a local charity. The key is to find a shop that receives donations from people who buy really good quality clothes -- usually people in affluent neighborhoods.

It may take a few trips over a few months but scope it out and score something that fits thorugh the shoulders and that is long enough through the torso and has sleeves that are long enough or too long. The trousers should be long enough or longer and fit well through the waist.
Hems are easy to fix and taking a jacket in through the waist is easier than messing with the shoulders.

Now take your bargain suit to a tailor for a fitting. This will take two visits, maybe 3.

Voila! A terrific suit at a fraction of the price of a new one of similar quality.

Don't buy a volcom suit or join a frat.

Get a nice(r) suit and get it tailored. It's an investment, and you look super snazzy.
no, join a frat, but not the pre-med one. that sounds like hell.

Yes, if you can afford it I guess. I is broke yo, so I got a Brooks Brothers suit (yes, haha), but if you get it tailored properly, I think even a less expensive suit can look good for interviews (especially considering the number of guys with baggy-ass suits hanging off them that I saw on the interview circuit - fresh of the shelf baby!). I think I got mine for like 150.

I'm not so much saying don't buy a suit for $200, just that you shouldn't buy a suit that is worth $200. If you spend enough time looking, you can get a good suit for that much. When I bought mine at Men's Wearhouse I think the jacket and pants came to $200 or $250, but it was originally a $400 dollar suit. The reason why I say not to buy something worth less is because it's difficult to tell what kind of quality it is. The first suit I owned was maybe $150 from a department store, and it started leaking threads after only a couple times wearing it. After that, the suit was basically worthless. If you can find something good that is also inexpensive, more power to you-just make sure you don't spend a smaller amount of money for something that you'll end up needing a better quality for later.

He's talking about AED, idiots. It's a service oriented frat. You're allowed to join both social and service and/or professional fraternities.

To the OP, my little sister is in AED at UA and likes it just fine. Gets a lot of good experience through it.

Yea that's the exact frat i'm joining :). I suppose I'll go out this weekend to a few stores and look for suits. Thanks for the help everyone!