volunteer/community service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nehe87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys,
I am in the American Red Cross Club at my school, and I'm the disaster services chair, so I devote a lot of my time each week to this club. Most of the work that we do in the Red Cross is volunteer work, so that's where a bulk of my volunteering comes from. Most of the other volunteer/community service I do is with the two other clubs I am in.
On the resume portion of my application, it says to list activities with clubs AND volunteer/community experience. Do you think it's okay if all my volunteering is with clubs, or are they looking for stuff like, say, going to a food pantry or soup kitchen on your own?
I know this seems like kind of a dumb question, but I don't want to do anything to screw up my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, guys,
I am in the American Red Cross Club at my school, and I'm the disaster services chair, so I devote a lot of my time each week to this club. Most of the work that we do in the Red Cross is volunteer work, so that's where a bulk of my volunteering comes from. Most of the other volunteer/community service I do is with the two other clubs I am in.
On the resume portion of my application, it says to list activities with clubs AND volunteer/community experience. Do you think it's okay if all my volunteering is with clubs, or are they looking for stuff like, say, going to a food pantry or soup kitchen on your own?
I know this seems like kind of a dumb question, but I don't want to do anything to screw up my application.

If I understand you correctly, your club does volunteer work for the Red Cross. If that's the case, then you can list some of your volunteer time with the Red Cross, the time when you're actually doing Red Cross volunteering. The other volunteer time you can list as being for the club. (All the prep work that goes into actually setting up the activities.)

Hey, guys,

What they are really looking for is your willingness to provide service. It doesn't really matter where you do your community service, as long as when you talk about it, you are portraying what you learned and gained from that service. If you do the service just to do service, then that's not going to be as meaningful as someone who did the service and was able to explain the experience in terms of how it allowed them to mature as an individual and become a quality pharmacist as a result.

The way I have always listed things is that I list that I am a member of the club in an organizations section, my leadership roles in them in a leadership section (I think on pharmacy school apps these would probably go together) and then specific projects that I have volunteered with I list under Volunteer experiences. I think it is important to mention that you are a member/leader of the organization and the different activities that you have done with that. Hope that all makes since, if not feel free to PM me.