Volunteer Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PinkyJolly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have to get a letter of recommendation from the place where you volunteered? The reason that I am asking this question is because I do not fully understand how medical school admissions know exactly how many volunteer hours you have. In other words, how do you show proof of your volunteer hours?
Thanks for your replies.

Members don't see this ad.

You do not have to get a letter of recommendation from a place you've volunteered. On the AMCAS application, the "Postsecondary Experiences" section will allow you to list your college activities and awards, including volunteer positions. For each one, you have to list a contact person and phone number (if I remember correctly) so that AMCAS or an individual school could verify it if they chose to. So you do not need to get an LOR.

Yep, it's pretty much the honor system. But don't be caught lying, they can revoke your acceptance at ANY TIME in your medical school career if they found out you lied in your application. Ouch!

-Scott, MS2

Members don't see this ad :)
On this note...I'm trying to figure out how I should list one of my volunteer experiences. Whenever I went regularly, it was about 2-3 hours a week; however, there were many "dry periods"--i.e. final exams, times when I couldn't get a ride, or summers--when I couldn't go regularly. I didn't get to go period this past semester because of a combination of school, work and the MCAT :( But I have picked up on going since and plan to continue throughout my senior year.

So how do I designate dates, especially if I didn't go once from December-May???? Because I'm going back, I don't want them to think I cut off my participation at this place, especially because it was a major point of discussion in my statement. BUT on the other hand, if this gets checked up on with my contact, I don't want for anyone to think I'm lying about anything either. Help!!!!!! Should I just talk to the advisor (who I listed as a contact) and tell her about this in case she gets contacted?

Any help is appreciated!