This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilaclilly22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I haven't been able to find information on my particular issue, so I thought I would ask it here.

In my financial aid package from my university, I was offered a work study. I work in a cancer research lab as an undergraduate research assistant. That being said, I am taking summer classes this upcoming summer, and I will be around and able to work. My school, however, does not pay work study students during the summer sessions. I still intend to put in weekly hours at my lab for free (as I want to learn more about research).

My question: are these hours I spend over the summer working at my lab for free volunteer hours? Can I use this for volunteer hours on an application?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would put that under research experience. Volunteer hours are usually referring to community service. The research experience will still look nice on an application, but you need to look into other opportunities for volunteer hours.

Reactions: 1 user