volunteer problems. Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

Hi, I've come to realize that good volunteer work is hard to come by. Since I don't have an emt license, I'm reduced to doing meager work at this hospital I'm volunteering at. It's in the ER room, and I feel like I'm just goofing around without anything to do. Moreover, I feel like I'm getting in the way of people actually trying to do their job. Anybody have any suggestions? I really don't feel positive about my volunteer experience and everywhere else seem more or less the same.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't really like hospital volunteering either for those same reasons. I enjoyed my time at a free clinic much much better...didnt' feel so in the way and felt much more useful and appreciated. However, sometimes I think it pays to look outside clinical positions to find a truly meaningful volunteer experience. Never in my life have I felt so rewarded as I do from volunteering at a Suicide Prevention Hotline. Hospice is another great option. Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
where are you? Some hospitals have clinical ER research where you complete clinical research projects that ER docs don't have time to do. I do one and it's called "Academic Associate". We get to observe all the stuff that goes on, shadow docs, etc. It still gets boring, but you can get a lot out of it if you try and is less boring than overall volunteering.

I don't know how common this type of volunteering program is. At St. Luke's in NYC, it's been going on for about a year.

Hang in there. I've been shadowing a doc at a hospital for 2 years. The hospital gets better with time. If you are really uncomfortable, you might try to start out as a phlebotomist (hope I spelled that right) so that you will actually be doing a job. I also worked at a nursing home for about half a year. Working at the bottom of the ladder is tough, but it shows the med schools that you are serious about helping people, not just making the phat cash.

Shadowing is very awkward at times, but it pays off in the end. I had a great letter of Rec. from my doc and I have been accepted to med school as a result. Don't let the angry charge nurses get to you. You'll be the boss someday:)

I tried to spend alot of time talking to patients, and that often meant doing little errands like getting the warm blankets or some tea or whatever.

I really pushed myself to find something meaningful to do, but the talking seemed to be a real big key and it helped to keep me connected. Patients often told me so much more about their conditions than they ever told the docs, which I thought was interesting ;)

But keep looking for something that excites you, if you can.

please see the suggestions posted recently in "volunteer ideas"

I , like crystal18mc, have avoided hospital volunteering in favor of an open family clinic---for me it was an all-around great experience and I saw and did TONS. Also, give your local hospice, community blood bank (if you have one), or center where blood/drug testing is offered--I hear a lot of good things about all of these places!!

Good Luck!