Volunteer tutoring without a company

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Princeton Medical Student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, say I made a craigslist post asking for students who are low income and would be interested in getting 1 on 1 SAT tutoring. Would the above be a good idea given that I would be acting by myself without a tutoring company?
Has anyone done something like this?
What was it like?

Members don't see this ad.

You could take it a step further and start an official group at your university dedicated to matching people from a lower income area high school with people in your group. Maybe contact a few schools around the area and see how they respond to that.

Reactions: 1 user
There are many organizations that do this , that u can give your time to. How do you know the applicants are low income ?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Good point. May be selecting for people with an iPhone 7 and unlimited data plan...
remember the A students end up working for the B students in companies owned by the C students.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

There are many organizations that do this , that your u can give your time to. How do you know the applicants are low income ?
This seems to be a tough part of it honestly. And while I found many organizations that tend to deal with low income elementary/middle school students, I havent found any that focus on SAT test prep. I would probably request a small statement describing their current financial situation.
Ill most certainly give thought to doing this on a bigger scale, which is a great idea!

I did this and listed a parent of one of the teens I worked with as a reference. Nobody ever checks anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app