Volunteer Work Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatthewhat11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after hearing about my roommate’s experience teaching English to elementary students in South America, I have really been interested in doing something like that (obviously not teaching english though, as I don't know nearly enough spanish.) I've been searching around online and I cannot find any organizations that don't require you to pay them, on top of the airfare and accommodations. Has anyone done something similar to this, or have any suggestions? I'm looking to do this over my winter break next semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, most organizations do require payment (since they are normally not charging the people they are giving the service to and need to make money for other things).

I have gone abroad twice to volunteer/intern. The first time was study abroad with an internship in a health clinic/ "hospital." That was done through KEI and I did it over the summer. Since it is study abroad, I got scholarships and financial aid to help me. Speaking Spanish wasn't required, but I wouldn't do it if I didn't. Cost of 2 months (included 12 credits) was $6000, after airfare and vacations there $7800

Link: http://keiabroad.org/
My program link: http://keiabroad.org/programs/guayaquil/overview.php

Another time I went for just a week with an organization called Hearts in Motion. My school has a program set up with them that gives us one credit for doing it, so again we get financial aid and some of the doctors we went with give out scholarships. Cost of 10 days for program $900, after airfare $1700.

Link: http://heartsinmotion.org/

I know it seems expensive, but for me they were totally worth it. Include those on scholarship essays later on and you will make back part of the money.

Last edited:
Also, check with the study abroad office at your school and tell them what you are looking for and they will find you a bunch of options. Also check to see if your school has a study abroad fair. I know you may not want to study abroad, but other things also attend those meetings/have things in the office. My school puts on volunteering abroad activities and do these things. Also, faculty led experiences abroad are classified as study abroad even if you do not attend classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i dont' think you will find any free programs, unfortunately volunteering abroad is very expensive, albeit very rewarding. try VIDA: vidavolunteetravel.org, I've gone on 2 trips with them and you can sometimes try to get sponsors in your home town to help fund the trips.

So after hearing about my roommate’s experience teaching English to elementary students in South America, I have really been interested in doing something like that (obviously not teaching english though, as I don't know nearly enough spanish.) I've been searching around online and I cannot find any organizations that don't require you to pay them, on top of the airfare and accommodations. Has anyone done something similar to this, or have any suggestions? I'm looking to do this over my winter break next semester.

My experience was much like BAB's. I went to Haiti for something like 10 days and it was about $1,000. I believe $800 was for airfare and then $200 was because each participant essentially bought one of the water filters we would be installing there. Honestly, if you do something like this, that actually requires hiking to mountain villages for 12+ hours daily and installing filters (or something that requires work and is not just a "vacation"), people in your life might be willing to donate money toward your trip. I raised quite a bit of the money for mine.

Oh, and you'll notice that you do pay for what you get... We lived and ate as our hosts did. Some of my friends who did more expensive programs, stayed in nicer places, had side trips included, etc. If you want a vacation aspect to it, it'll cost a little more.

thanks everyone for the feedback. BABSstudent I'll check out keiabroad and heartsinmotion. A different buddy of mine has gone down with an organization called Child Reach International USA http://www.childreachusa.org/ that I'm going to check out as well.