Volunteer ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HelpMeGetInto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
- What sort of volunteer experience a typical pre-pharmacy student will do ?

- Should volunteer experience only resolve around health care or may it be in anyfield ?

- Any recommendation on how to get pharmacy exp ? Should I go for pharm tech certification then seek pharmacy tech position ?

Thank you
Ben

Members don't see this ad.

from what i've seen from alot of kids in my school, experiance can be gained usually from any job in the healthcare, pre-profession health clubs, or holding a job for a long period of time. However i would seriously consider shadowing or volenteering at a pharmacy as it helps show any future school that you legitamately took interest in the profession rather than it look like randomly threw a dart and it landed on pharmacy. Lastly, I took the phamracy tech exam (easy as hell by they way) just because most here in San Antonio were too scared to let me behind the counter. If you can some how get behind the counter or even get employed then that exam is almost pointless but on the otherhand it does make you look like you have good motivation if you have the license.

Members don't see this ad :)
- What sort of volunteer experience a typical pre-pharmacy student will do ?

- Should volunteer experience only resolve around health care or may it be in anyfield ?

- Any recommendation on how to get pharmacy exp ? Should I go for pharm tech certification then seek pharmacy tech position ?

1. A quick search of the forum and you can find examples of some of the volunteer experiences people have. There is a pretty wide range. For example, I did some mentoring, served food at a homeless shelter, volunteered at the free medical clinic at the homeless shelter, and did various community service with my sorority.
2. It can be in anything but preferably in healthcare because it gives you exposure to what goes on and gives you experience in the field. It is preferable that it is in pharmacy, but if you can't find a position in that, any healthcare experience will do. But really, always do something you enjoy.
3. Yes.

Use the search function on this forum, too. I promise you it is a valuable tool. Many questions like this have been answered many times before.

I highly recommend you atleast try to volunteer in a hospital along with whatever else. Gives you a more broad understanding of the field..