Volunteering Abroad in Personal Statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arizonapls

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post so sorry if I put this in the wrong topic or something!

So I've seen a lot of mixed opinions about volunteering abroad, mission trips, etc. and this got me pretty worried because I want to focus partially on my volunteering abroad in my PS because it really helped me solidify why I want to be a doctor.

My volunteering is a bit different than a typical mission trip. We aren't expected to pay for anything out of pocket (except the plane ticket to the Dominican Republic), but we are expected to fundraise ~$6,000 before the trip. All of this money goes to a Dominican type 1 diabetes foundation that puts on diabetes summer camps for children. When in country, the American volunteers and Dominican volunteers are counselors at this camp, and we help plan activities, check blood sugars, and supervise/give insulin shots (the doctor sets the dosage, we just help administer). I also volunteer during the school year to help recruit and train new volunteers, fundraise, and plan for the summer camp.

I have significant reasons for volunteering with this organization, more than just adding it to my resume, because I also have diabetes.

I'm worried that adcoms will attribute this experience to "voluntourism" and overlook my personal statement because of it. Should I not focus on this experience in my PS even though it's a big part of my "why medicine" story? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd definitely include. from what you wrote, it sounds like a long-term commitment and a cause you're personally invested in. if it's pivotal to your decision to pursue medicine, it should make its way into your personal statement.

Reactions: 1 user
I did something like that, wrote about it in my personal statement (mixed it with other things to make my statement stand out), and got in. Finished. Now resident.

Give specific examples of what you saw, what you experienced, felt etc.

Also recommend getting professional essay help/admission consulting. It's worth your money.

I did something like that, wrote about it in my personal statement (mixed it with other things to make my statement stand out), and got in. Finished. Now resident.

Give specific examples of what you saw, what you experienced, felt etc.

Also recommend getting professional essay help/admission consulting. It's worth your money.

Great advice! I'll make sure to do that. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile