Volunteering and clinical questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRevenant

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the application cycle draws to a close, my chances of acceptance appear increasingly bleak. I have a stellar MCAT, above average research, average GPA, below average clinical experience, and minimal volunteerism. Last semester I volunteered ~125 hours in a lab and shadowed ~10 hours. Starting in March, I intend to volunteer in a homeless shelter 3-4 hours weekly and perhaps shadow another 10-20 hours in a different specialty. I understand the focus should not be on numbers alone, but for the sake of anonymity, I'd prefer to avoid specifics.

I understand that serving the underprivileged is important to ADCOMs - is three months of 3-4 hours weekly sufficient? Also, is there any overlap between research and community service volunteering from the standpoint of ADCOMs? Finally, will the clinical experience I mentioned be a significant improvement?

Members don't see this ad.

4 hrs /week x 12 weeks = 48 hrs = you're not going to be a doctor.

What are you going to say when asked how you know you are suited for a life of caring for the sick and suffering? “That you just know”? Imagine how that will go over!

Yours is not the application of a person who dearly wants to be a physician. It is the application of someone who wants to be a doctor as long as it is convenient.

From the wise LizzyM”: I am always reminded of a certain frequent poster of a few years ago. He was adamant about not volunteering as he did not want to give his services for free and he was busy and helping others was inconvenient. He matriculated to a medical school and lasted less than one year. He's now in school to become an accountant.

Here's the deal: You need to show AdComs that you know what you're getting into, and show off your altruistic, humanistic side. We need to know that you're going to like being around sick or injured people for the next 40 years.

Here's another way of looking at it: would you buy a new car without test driving it? Buy a new suit or dress without trying it on??

We're also not looking for merely for good medical students, we're looking for people who will make good doctors, and 4.0 GPA robots are a dime-a-dozen.

I've seen plenty of posts here from high GPA/high MCAT candidates who were rejected because they had little patient contact experience.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you. And get off campus and out of your comfort zone!

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

As the application cycle draws to a close, my chances of acceptance appear increasingly bleak. I have a stellar MCAT, above average research, average GPA, below average clinical experience, and minimal volunteerism. Last semester I volunteered ~125 hours in a lab and shadowed ~10 hours. Starting in March, I intend to volunteer in a homeless shelter 3-4 hours weekly and perhaps shadow another 10-20 hours in a different specialty. I understand the focus should not be on numbers alone, but for the sake of anonymity, I'd prefer to avoid specifics.

I understand that serving the underprivileged is important to ADCOMs - is three months of 3-4 hours weekly sufficient? Also, is there any overlap between research and community service volunteering from the standpoint of ADCOMs? Finally, will the clinical experience I mentioned be a significant improvement?

Reactions: 1 users
4 hrs /week x 12 weeks = 48 hrs = you're not going to be a doctor.

Ah, it appears that I've terribly underestimated the importance of volunteerism. Is there much that can be done to remedy this problem in the coming months? By cutting back on working hours, I could free more time to volunteer.

Also, you provided feedback regarding a clinical work opportunity I asked about. This would begin right around the time I would be working on secondaries. Would it be of any benefit to me this upcoming cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to skip a cycle and apply in 2018. Sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news but the only thing worse than an unsuccessful cycle is two unsuccessful cycles. If you had been serious about volunteering, you would have been doing it every week for the last 10 months and then you'd have had something to put on the 2017 application but as it stands, you are not ready for prime time.

Reactions: 2 users
@LizzyM or @Goro, would either of you mind terribly if I PM'd you so that we could discuss in more specific detail? Understandably, the thought of skipping a cycle is rather disheartening for someone completing his gap year after 5 years of undergrad. It would be nice to gather a more accurate assessment of my situation.

Sure, fire away. BTW, 3-6 months of last minute, high-volume volunteerism doesn't look impressive. It looks like box checking.

One should apply with the best possible app, even if it means skipping an app cycle. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

@LizzyM or @Goro, would either of you mind terribly if I PM'd you so that we could discuss in more specific detail? Understandably, the thought of skipping a cycle is rather disheartening for someone completing his gap year after 5 years of undergrad. It would be nice to gather a more accurate assessment of my situation.

Reactions: 1 users

I don't see anything to discuss. You were unsuccessful. The first question schools will have for someone who could have/may have/surely applied in the past cycle is "what have you done to improve?" If the improvement was last minute or half-assed then you are going to go nowhere once again.

Reactions: 1 user

Am I the only person who is wondering what "average GPA" is? Also, how would you define "stellar" for the MCAT? Why were you in undergrad for 5 years?

In addition to the wise @LizzyM and @Goro I'll add my 2 cents to this mix: IMHO it doesn't matter what volunteering you do, as long as it's something that you're passionate about and aren't just putting in the minimum number of hours to check a box. Volunteering for 2 hours a week tutoring middle-school age children math in a poor, underserved area every Wednesday morning for a year looks a heck of a lot better that having 3 months of something. Volunteering should be something you want to do, and continue to do as your career goes forward. If you can sit there and say "I know it's only 100 hours of tutoring for the year, but here's why I'm passionate about it/why this is important to me and the community I live in" it looks so much better than having 200+ hours of community service as some cushy suburban "hospital volunteering" where all you do is restock shelves.

Also, this isn't law school-no one looks at numbers and says "well he/she/they are around our range, so well let them in". Standing out doesn't mean you have to do the most unique thing out there, but by doing volunteering and being passionate about volunteering shows admissions committee's that you are passionate about treating/serving those less fortunate, and that you are likely to continue to do so in the future, especially in the community that your med school is in.

BTW, median cGPA for MD acceptees is 3.7; MCAT is ~508, or 30 on the old exam. Thus, the median LizzyM score is 67. For DO, it's about 64.

Am I the only person who is wondering what "average GPA" is? Also, how would you define "stellar" for the MCAT? Why were you in undergrad for 5 years?

In addition to the wise @LizzyM and @Goro I'll add my 2 cents to this mix: IMHO it doesn't matter what volunteering you do, as long as it's something that you're passionate about and aren't just putting in the minimum number of hours to check a box. Volunteering for 2 hours a week tutoring middle-school age children math in a poor, underserved area every Wednesday morning for a year looks a heck of a lot better that having 3 months of something. Volunteering should be something you want to do, and continue to do as your career goes forward. If you can sit there and say "I know it's only 100 hours of tutoring for the year, but here's why I'm passionate about it/why this is important to me and the community I live in" it looks so much better than having 200+ hours of community service as some cushy suburban "hospital volunteering" where all you do is restock shelves.

Also, this isn't law school-no one looks at numbers and says "well he/she/they are around our range, so well let them in". Standing out doesn't mean you have to do the most unique thing out there, but by doing volunteering and being passionate about volunteering shows admissions committee's that you are passionate about treating/serving those less fortunate, and that you are likely to continue to do so in the future, especially in the community that your med school is in.