Aug 22, 2013
California
Status
Pre-Medical
A couple of weeks ago I ended up getting a pinched nerve in my back. Throughout my life, I ended up getting a few of these but this time it was pretty severe. Whenever I stood up, I couldn't stand straight. I had to walk at a certain angle to bear the pain. Anyways, my aunt ended up offering me a couple of Vicodin to ease the pain. I ended up foolishly taking them for a couple of days without thinking about any possible drug tests. Throughout three days, I probably had around 8 pills. I'm planning on signing up to volunteer soon and I was wondering if any organizations test for hydrocodone? I've done my research and it's usually detectable in the urine for around 4-5 days; however, how about a possible hair follicle drug test? Do any organizations go as far as to drug test someone's hair? Should I sit it out and waste half a year, and only than try to apply for volunteering positions?

darkjedi

how did this get here I am not good with computer
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2009
Is that because they won't do a hair follicle test? I did a bit of research and it'll get stored in my hair without a doubt.
Hair follicle tests are rarely done, and I would be surprised if you had to do even a urine test for a volunteer position. The only urine test I've ever done in my life was so that I could work in finance and be compliant under SEC regulations.

Even if you did have to do a urine test, you'll probably still be fine with your story.

OP
W
Aug 22, 2013
California
Status
Pre-Medical
Hair follicle tests are rarely done, and I would be surprised if you had to do even a urine test for a volunteer position. The only urine test I've ever done in my life was so that I could work in finance and be compliant under SEC regulations.

Even if you did have to do a urine test, you'll probably still be fine with your story.
Thanks, this is the type of information I was hoping for. Someone that could provide their own personal experience. It's strange that at least urine tests aren't done if you're planning to volunteer in places that include children. None the less, thanks for the help.

darkjedi

how did this get here I am not good with computer
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2009
Thanks, this is the type of information I was hoping for. Someone that could provide their own personal experience. It's strange that at least urine tests aren't done if you're planning to volunteer in places that include children. None the less, thanks for the help.
They cost money to do and so for a mere volunteer position, it's not worth the money as there is pretty low risk. Places that take care of children are under much stricter rules at the state/federal level, and so drug tests can be required at some places.

OP
W
Aug 22, 2013
California
Status
Pre-Medical
They cost money to do and so for a mere volunteer position, it's not worth the money as there is pretty low risk. Places that take care of children are under much stricter rules at the state/federal level, and so drug tests can be required at some places.
How about clinical volunteering, i.e. hospitals?

mehc012

Big Damn Hero
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2012
The Black
Status
Medical Student
Just anecdotally:
Volunteered at a children's hospital, high end. They do FBI background searches and all sorts of medical clearance testing (do you have TB? Are you SURE you don't have TB? Let's test it again anyway), but no drug screen.
Started working in an adult ED: All of the above plus drug testing. It's amazing how much more people care about your reliability when they're paying you and assuming direct responsibility.

OP
W
Aug 22, 2013
California
Status
Pre-Medical
Just anecdotally:
Volunteered at a children's hospital, high end. They do FBI background searches and all sorts of medical clearance testing (do you have TB? Are you SURE you don't have TB? Let's test it again anyway), but no drug screen.
Started working in an adult ED: All of the above plus drug testing. It's amazing how much more people care about your reliability when they're paying you and assuming direct responsibility.
Haha that's awesome on my part :) Thanks for the help.

Aug 27, 2013
Status
Medical Student
For the volunteer program I took part in, they did a background check and a urine drug-test- no hair-follicle test. I would only echo what's been said I think you're probably fine.

Jun 8, 2013
Status
Just anecdotally:
It isn't "are you sure you don't have tb let's do it again" actually. TB levels can be undetectable immediately after the test, however levels rise back up a week after the first test. That's why you usually get two tests.

GatorsKW14

5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2013
Status
Medical Student
In one major hospital, I was never drug screened even though I even volunteered in the pharmacy for a semester. In another much smaller hospital with almost no other volunteers, I got a urine test. If it's a big hospital with a large volunteer program, they probably won't test you because it will be too expensive. If they do, it will be a urine test.

mehc012

Big Damn Hero
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2012
The Black
Status
Medical Student
It isn't "are you sure you don't have tb let's do it again" actually. TB levels can be undetectable immediately after the test, however levels rise back up a week after the first test. That's why you usually get two tests.
No, it was the Quantiferon test. Single blood test, better discrimination. My grumbling was because one of the hospitals I worked for didn't accept the blood test, not because of any actual evidence or reason, but because their policy specified the skin test, so I had to delay my start date AND get another 2 TB tests when I had just had one...and then the nurse administered the 2nd shot so deep I got a purple bruise by the time I left the office, so it came out borderline and I had to have it read like 3x by different people. At least I missed out on the CXR, but damn...I already passed the damn screening, people!

Planes2Doc

Residency is ruff!
7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2012
The South
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Don't forget that the "typical" volunteer positions tend to be transient. Aside from the two-step TB test that was covered, nothing else was done. Why the hell would they invest any money in pre-meds that will come and go quickly through a revolving door?

As was mentioned, children's hospitals are "high-end," and being a pre-med in Chicago meant they were off-limits unless you were a gunner at the top of your game. Waitlists galore! I can see them drug testing but don't know first hand.

Dec 27, 2013
Status
Medical Student
A couple of weeks ago I ended up getting a pinched nerve in my back. Throughout my life, I ended up getting a few of these but this time it was pretty severe. Whenever I stood up, I couldn't stand straight. I had to walk at a certain angle to bear the pain. Anyways, my aunt ended up offering me a couple of Vicodin to ease the pain. I ended up foolishly taking them for a couple of days without thinking about any possible drug tests. Throughout three days, I probably had around 8 pills. I'm planning on signing up to volunteer soon and I was wondering if any organizations test for hydrocodone? I've done my research and it's usually detectable in the urine for around 4-5 days; however, how about a possible hair follicle drug test? Do any organizations go as far as to drug test someone's hair? Should I sit it out and waste half a year, and only than try to apply for volunteering positions?

Most probably some organization did.

Always, try to take any drug after consultant.

Take care of yourself. Hope you will be fine soon.!

Thanks & Regards,

Last edited by a moderator: