Volunteering and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s137mack

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering how important things like volunteering are for residency applications. I haven't done any research while in school and am not planning on doing any. Also, my grades are not that wonderful. I am assuming my board scores will not be stellar either. Would volunteering help my chances of getting into a higher ranked programs?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Just what are you going to volunteer for?... being the official coffee boy/girl.

What specialty are you looking at?

Members don't see this ad :)
We have a couple programs I am thinking about. One is a youth information line run by medical students. They answer questions for kids 12-21 around the metro area about various topics (jobs, scholarships, pregnancy). Another I am thinking about is program to teach hygiene and other common medical things to some inter-city elementary kids.

I am not sure what specialty. Nothing super competitive.

wow you still have to volunteer while your in med school? I thought the altruistic showcase ppl put on was only for the medical school admission interviews. At least you'll get to do some real stuff in a clinic while your in medical school =D.

You'll be okay as long as you do something other than school. For very competitive residencies, research with publications also becomes necessary.

FWIW, I help restore airplanes at the local aviation museum. Not exactly world-saving or puppy-hugging, but it's fun. :p

Abe said:
wow you still have to volunteer while your in med school? I thought the altruistic showcase ppl put on was only for the medical school admission interviews. At least you'll get to do some real stuff in a clinic while your in medical school =D.

I'm going somewhere tomorrow for some volunteer work. Anyway, volunteering gives you something else to do besides studying, so yeah, it's a good thing. And do it if you really want to volunteer, not just so that it'll look good for your residency application

s137mack said:
I am not sure what specialty. Nothing super competitive.

Are you currently a third-year, thinking about what field to go into? If it's somewhat competitive, I'd definitely consider trying some research.

sounds like the OP is a 2nd year -- no board scores yet...

I recommend studying harder, getting better grades, and doing well on the boards. that will give you the most advantage for residency application.

and research, esp. with publications, will help.

vounteering is something to list on an application, but its effect on your chances is minimal in most cases.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will end up doing it, mainly to do something other than studying all the time. I am a 3rd year in a 6 year program...so I guess considered a first year in a regular program. And I am trying with my grades....the best I can ;). Research isn't really an option here unless you take a semester off to do it because we go to school year-round.

ericdamiansean said:
volunteering gives you something else to do besides studying

that's what boyfriends are for! but I guess you can't put them on your residency application :D

04 thread.. but

so if community clinics (as a type of community service) aren't really considered heavily by residencies.. do most ppl do community clinics just to enhance their clinical skills so that they will do better 3rd and 4th year??

04 thread.. but

so if community clinics (as a type of community service) aren't really considered heavily by residencies.. do most ppl do community clinics just to enhance their clinical skills so that they will do better 3rd and 4th year??

or maybe because it's a way to give back to to a community and help those less fortunate.

04 thread.. but

Maybe people do them to make a contribution to the community?

Maybe people do them to make a contribution to the community?

oh i definitely want to do it, it's just that i anticipate having a limited number of hours for extracurriculars during medical school so it's going to be comm serve or research... one or the other. I'd love to do both, but i really dont see myself having enough time.

I'd recommend volunteering only if it'll provide you something worthwhile to talk about and only doing research if it'll lead to a presentation, poster, or paper. Everytime I show mentors my CV, btw, they gloss over the volunteer stuff and perk up when they see the research. I'd choose research over volunteering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd recommend volunteering only if it'll provide you something worthwhile to talk about and only doing research if it'll lead to a presentation, poster, or paper. Everytime I show mentors my CV, btw, they gloss over the volunteer stuff and perk up when they see the research. I'd choose research over volunteering.

=T that's a shame. I really enjoyed volunteering as a pre-med.

Thanks for your answer btw, it was just what i was looking for!