Volunteering and Shadowing

spare1914

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a high school senior looking to volunteer in a hospital, but am also interested in shadowing and internships. I was wondering if anybody had experiences where volunteering opened up opportunities to shadow or if I have to approach the two independently, whether volunteering experience would be viewed positively when applying for a medical internship, etc. If you've done both, which required more effort?

Also, are there any volunteering or shadowing opportunities in chemistry?

If I graduated hs one year early and spent a gap year doing as much volunteering/ shadowing as possible would this be viewed positively by adcoms or would 4 years without a gap year look better? I know this question is kind of out there but thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm a high school senior looking to volunteer in a hospital, but am also interested in shadowing and internships. I was wondering if anybody had experiences where volunteering opened up opportunities to shadow or if I have to approach the two independently, whether volunteering experience would be viewed positively when applying for a medical internship, etc. If you've done both, which required more effort?

Also, are there any volunteering or shadowing opportunities in chemistry?

If I graduated hs one year early and spent a gap year doing as much volunteering/ shadowing as possible would this be viewed positively by adcoms or would 4 years without a gap year look better? I know this question is kind of out there but thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
If you were to shadow, say, at an ED, kick ass, and be respectful to everyone, that could definitely lead to shadowing opportunities. Volunteering requires more effort, but both don't take that much effort, and would be viewed positively as opposed to nothing.

Shadowing in chemistry... like in a lab?

If this is about college, and not some prestigious random medical thing (maybe you're talking about BS/MD stuff?) you are waay overthinking it. It's insanely easy to volunteer and shadow while in highschool, you don't need 100000000 hours. Admissions would rather see a well rounded individual. Join a school club or 2, play a sport, I dunno.

When I worked at a lab as a Junior in college, there was this sweet highschooler girl who asked our professor if she could come be a research assistant- my professor said yes immediately. If you ask enough people (especially in person and WELL BEFORE the beginning of the Summer), you can def. land some lab assisting gigs at your local university.

Hi, I've volunteered at a hospital all through high school for the very reason of creating opportunities to shadow. My volunteer coordinator has said many of her high school volunteers are able to shadow the physicians at our hospital once they turn 18 or graduate. I would recommend trying to volunteer at smaller hospitals where you are able to easily become familiar with the staff. Don't take a gap year just to volunteer, that's unnecessary and you likely wouldn't be able to get enough shifts to volunteer full time anyways. The shifts are usually very flexible, so you should be able to do it after school, during breaks, and build up your hours during the summer.

I'm not sure what you mean by chemistry, but just look at the departments in the place you are trying to volunteer in. They place volunteers in about every department.