Volunteering at Dental Clinic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where do you guys find dental clinics to volunteer at? I can't find any near me from a quick google search. I live in a big suburb of Chicago so there should be some near me I'm guessing.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I did a quick Google search and found at least 2 opportunities:
Home Page - CommunityHealth
Lawndale Christian Health Center

Both offer positions with limited/no experience.

Even if you start at a position that isn't directly dental related, you'll have your foot in the door at the organization and can transition to different positions as you gain experience.

I did a quick Google search and found at least 2 opportunities:
Home Page - CommunityHealth
Lawndale Christian Health Center

Both offer positions with limited/no experience.

Even if you start at a position that isn't directly dental related, you'll have your foot in the door at the organization and can transition to different positions as you gain experience.
Unfortunately both of these positions require commitments of 6 months+.

I should have stated in my OP that I am only looking for volunteering over the summer, as I have to return to college in September.

Members don't see this ad :)
On a side note, on the ADEA 2018 application PDF, it states this for volunteering:
"Volunteer: Volunteer work done outside of the health care field; for example, working for Habitat for Humanity, tutoring students, participating in or working for a fundraiser walk or blood drive, etc."

Does that mean I would be better off not volunteering in a clinic?

On a side note, on the ADEA 2018 application PDF, it states this for volunteering:
"Volunteer: Volunteer work done outside of the health care field; for example, working for Habitat for Humanity, tutoring students, participating in or working for a fundraiser walk or blood drive, etc."

Does that mean I would be better off not volunteering in a clinic?
If you're trying to add volunteer work to put under that section, then yes. However, you can add the volunteer work under dental experiences if it is dental related.

I can't post a link yet but google 'mission of mercy chicago' should be the first link... ISDS Foundation

Reactions: 1 user
Have you tried contacting any dental offices that might need an extra hand? You may not be able to do as much, but something is better than nothing. I would type up a resume and drop it off at the front desk of dental offices around you. Make sure the manager gets it. Call the offices in a few days if you don't get a response. Tell them you are interested in volunteering. Make sure you are following the guidelines for your state to volunteer in an office or clinic (OSHA/HIPAA Certified). Maybe try volunteering at a dental lab too! They are pretty laid back and labs can sometimes give you some more hands-on experience with restorative work. Good luck!

Have you tried contacting any dental offices that might need an extra hand? You may not be able to do as much, but something is better than nothing. I would type up a resume and drop it off at the front desk of dental offices around you. Make sure the manager gets it. Call the offices in a few days if you don't get a response. Tell them you are interested in volunteering. Make sure you are following the guidelines for your state to volunteer in an office or clinic (OSHA/HIPAA Certified). Maybe try volunteering at a dental lab too! They are pretty laid back and labs can sometimes give you some more hands-on experience with restorative work. Good luck!
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. I'll definitely look into it. It would actually be pretty interesting to volunteer in a dental lab, I would like to see what goes on behind the scenes.

Reactions: 1 user