PhD/PsyD Volunteering during Graduate School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xXIDaShizIXx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, it doesn't really seems as if this has been asked too much. Are there many opportunities to volunteer (long-term) during graduate school, as a psych tech or what have you? I mean like 100 hours+ a year? I personally did during undergrad and really enjoyed it. Anyone had any experiences with this or is it even possible?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure it's there, but as a grad student not making a ton of money, I opted for paid experiences. Worked as a tester and independent evaluator on a couple big research projects. One paid $25 an hour. There are plenty of opportunities (depending on location and nearby resources), but you have limited time. At least in Ph.D programs.

I'm sure it's there, but as a grad student not making a ton of money, I opted for paid experiences. Worked as a tester and independent evaluator on a couple big research projects. One paid $25 an hour. There are plenty of opportunities (depending on location and nearby resources), but you have limited time. At least in Ph.D programs.

So I should just TA/RA, that kind of stuff?

Members don't see this ad :)
Folks in the Clinical program here are cautioned against doing work outside of the GA/RA positions; it is strongly suggest that they consult with their advisers, as mistakes may lead to problems getting licensed.

I know some who babysit and teach classes at a rec center. In terms of service, you can volunteer at various places, like nursing homes, hospitals, and various organizations within your university (LGBT organizations, Women's Resource Center, ambassador/leadership groups, etc.). I would definitely suggest waiting and seeing how busy you are before you get a "real" job.

I know some who babysit and teach classes at a rec center. In terms of service, you can volunteer at various places, like nursing homes, hospitals, and various organizations within your university (LGBT organizations, Women's Resource Center, ambassador/leadership groups, etc.). I would definitely suggest waiting and seeing how busy you are before you get a "real" job.

This. Paid employment outside of whatever you do for your tuition remission and stipend is where many programs start to balk, but volunteer work shouldn't cause any problems with that. The biggest issue (as was said in multiple posts above) will be the time commitment.

If volunteering truly is part of your identity, then you will find a way to work it in. Community service, being an active part of the community I live in, and freely giving my time are important to me. I've volunteered in different capacities over my 5 years of doc school. I started real small (a few hours a month) and as the years progressed and I found my rhythm I slowly increased my hours. During this, my 5th year, I've volunteered about 15-20 hrs/month.

Keep in mind I carefully choose volunteer hours which would feed my soul, strengthen my vita, and enhance my clinical skills. For example, for several years I've volunteered about 4 hours/month with a community organization which holds monthly community meetings (caucusing, they call it) facilitating dialogue about systemic racism and ways to break down racism within our community. For me, even though my academic program is strong in this area, we're kind of isolated in the ol' Ivory Tower. This group gets me out into the community talking with folks with very different life experiences than most of my doc school colleagues and professors. A little more than two years ago I began volunteering on an as-needed basis with Physicians for Human Rights' Asylum Network where I am a student clinician and translator. I conduct clinical interviews in Spanish, administer Spanish-language psychological assessments, and help with report writing. Finally, one year ago I began spending about 12hrs/month with a hospice organization. Twice a week I co-lead a support group for grieving teenagers and one day a week I provide companionship services to hospice clients.

Every interview I've had so far has asked about my volunteer experiences and we've "gone somewhere" with that line of conversation. Every volunteer organization I'm with also has had training and some sort of mentorship/supervision. Will they help me land an internship? Maybe. Was I busy during doc school? Yes. Did volunteering hold me back somehow? No way, it enhanced my experience and, I feel kept me in touch with those outside of academia.

If you enjoyed it during undergrad and found the experiences to be life-giving, then you will find a way to give your time during grad school. And I believe you will be a better clinician for it and a more desirable candidate.

Reactions: 1 user
Folks in the Clinical program here are cautioned against doing work outside of the GA/RA positions; it is strongly suggest that they consult with their advisers, as mistakes may lead to problems getting licensed.
Is that just to scare people off? I'm skeptical about how work outside of your grad program would hurt your chances of licensure. Unless of course you were doing unsupervised clinical work and such.

Is that just to scare people off? I'm skeptical about how work outside of your grad program would hurt your chances of licensure. Unless of course you were doing unsupervised clinical work and such.

Maybe hurting grades and completion of courses, research, etc?

If volunteering truly is part of your identity, then you will find a way to work it in. Community service, being an active part of the community I live in, and freely giving my time are important to me. I've volunteered in different capacities over my 5 years of doc school. I started real small (a few hours a month) and as the years progressed and I found my rhythm I slowly increased my hours. During this, my 5th year, I've volunteered about 15-20 hrs/month.

Keep in mind I carefully choose volunteer hours which would feed my soul, strengthen my vita, and enhance my clinical skills. For example, for several years I've volunteered about 4 hours/month with a community organization which holds monthly community meetings (caucusing, they call it) facilitating dialogue about systemic racism and ways to break down racism within our community. For me, even though my academic program is strong in this area, we're kind of isolated in the ol' Ivory Tower. This group gets me out into the community talking with folks with very different life experiences than most of my doc school colleagues and professors. A little more than two years ago I began volunteering on an as-needed basis with Physicians for Human Rights' Asylum Network where I am a student clinician and translator. I conduct clinical interviews in Spanish, administer Spanish-language psychological assessments, and help with report writing. Finally, one year ago I began spending about 12hrs/month with a hospice organization. Twice a week I co-lead a support group for grieving teenagers and one day a week I provide companionship services to hospice clients.

Every interview I've had so far has asked about my volunteer experiences and we've "gone somewhere" with that line of conversation. Every volunteer organization I'm with also has had training and some sort of mentorship/supervision. Will they help me land an internship? Maybe. Was I busy during doc school? Yes. Did volunteering hold me back somehow? No way, it enhanced my experience and, I feel kept me in touch with those outside of academia.

If you enjoyed it during undergrad and found the experiences to be life-giving, then you will find a way to give your time during grad school. And I believe you will be a better clinician for it and a more desirable candidate.

Thank you. This is how I felt and why I answered the question in the first place. I enjoyed it, I feel like I helped at least in some way, and it looks good on the CV to boot. I don't see how a small amount could hurt anywhere.

Reactions: 1 user
^^^ That.

^^^ That.
Well, that I could see. But that's more of the student making a poor decision. I don't think volunteering or side work in and of itself is bad. I know many people in different programs who have done some side work successfully. Heck, mine paid well enough that I actually saved money during grad school rather than taking loans out or burning through savings. Caveat being that I also more than kept up with my clinical work and research.