Volunteering: For Profit Vs. Non Profit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhizoMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do medical schools care if volunteering is done at a for profit hospital instead of a non profit one?
There is a large non profit hospital down the street from my school, but they require you to attend an orientation session(held once a month in the morning; class conflicts) to volunteer.
Then there is a smaller for profit hospital across town that doesn't require orientation. Will size or non/for profit status matter when applying to medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

no, you're not the one getting the profit, so why would it matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it matters for application purposes, but I would personally be cautious about the second place, since I think it is a JCAHO (or Joint Commisions or whatever they call themselves now) regulation for hospitals to orient all employees and volunteers. But I could be wrong.

Do medical schools care if volunteering is done at a for profit hospital instead of a non profit one?
There is a large non profit hospital down the street from my school, but they require you to attend an orientation session(held once a month in the morning; class conflicts) to volunteer.
Then there is a smaller for profit hospital across town that doesn't require orientation. Will size or non/for profit status matter when applying to medical schools?

Nope. As long as YOU'RE volunteering, and not making any $, it doesn't matter.

I don't even think they would know which one you're volunteering at unless it's a famous organization.