Volunteering Hours Recommended

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AryaV

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to thank everyone for the help given so far; I have posted on this forum a few times when I had felt confused on what to do, and it has always been extremely helpful, so thank you.

I have been working on making my application competitive (making sure my recommendations are solid, trying to get as close to a 4 GPA as possible [I am now at 3.992]), but I am late in the game when it comes to volunteering. I had done shadowing 6 hours a week throughout the summer, but have only begun to do volunteering at a hospital; since I am to apply in Februrary for the 2016-7 year, I am afraid that I won't have time to complete the amount of volunteering hours recommend. How much volunteering hours exactly would be recommended for a person who is wanting to get into the top programs for a liberal arts major? (Scrips, BM, Goucher, Johns Hopkins) Thanks so much for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

*Disclaimer* I am in no way an expert in the matter

BUT, what I have gathered from a combination of lurking is that there doesn't seem to be a magical number in terms of how many hours. There seems to be a general consensus that its get how many hours you can get, or a "semester length" so usually 4-6 months worth. Its about the quality of volunteering you get that matters, and those shadowing hours are also super valuable.