Volunteering/Interning Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TN Aaron

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here done this? I am currently looking for some cool programs so if anyone has any information or websites I would appreciate it.

Oh yeah, the countries I'm thinking of are Thailand, Australia, and maybe Nepal.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

What sort of programs are you looking for? Health-related, or something else?

I figured you might need some sort of financial aid or assistance. Looks like you might have a good chance with this, especially sinc eyou are more into health-related stuff.

Dont be thrown by the whole study-abroad thing: contact a local university in the places you would love to go to, find a faculty member that you could be attached with, and 'study' with them. If you use your advisor, college dean, etc, you SHOULD be able to pull this off. Oh, there's the Pell grant thing. Yikes, dunno about that...And the traditionally under-represented...But this might work for others who might be thinking about it too, so I posted it...
^^^^^
The Institute of International Education (IIE) is pleased
to announce the opening of the Fall 2004 application
cycle for the Benjamin A. Gilman International
Scholarship. This congressionally-funded program is
sponsored by the US Department of State, Bureau of
Educational and Cultural Affairs. It is administered by
IIE through its office in Houston, Texas.

The program awards grants of up to $5,000 for US-
citizen, undergraduate students to pursue study abroad
opportunities worldwide. The Gilman Scholarship
Program aims to diversify and expand participation in
international education by assisting those students who
have been traditionally under-represented in US study
abroad. This includes, but is not limited to students
studying in non-traditional locations outside of Western
Europe and Australia, students with high financial need,
community college students, students with diverse
ethnic backgrounds, students with disabilities, and
students of non-traditional age.

To be eligible the applicant must be an undergraduate
enrolled at a US institution of higher education, and be
receiving a Pell grant at the time of application.
Applicants must be applying or accepted into a credit-
eligible, single-country program. Programs must be
between four weeks and one academic year in length.
Students may apply to study in any nation with the
exception of Cuba and those countries currently under a
US Department of State Travel Warning. Preference is
given to those students studying outside of the
traditional study abroad destinations of Western Europe
and Australia.

The Fall 2004 cycle is open to students participating in
programs that begin between July 15 and October 15,
2004 - excluding summer-only study abroad programs.
The online application deadline is April 15, 2004. To
access the online application and timeline please go to
the Gilman website;
http://www.iie.org//programs/gilman/index.html.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just spent 5 of the best months of my life working in a hospital and teaching English in Nepal. They trained me in a variety of health-related skills, I learned the language and I got to experience real life in Nepal as a bonus! I'd recommend it to anyone. www.infonepal.org It's extremely cheap too, if you've done any research on volunteering internationally. Finally, I'm looking at attending med school in Australia next year, and it's looking like a much more interested option than studying in the States. I wouldn't rule out studying internationally, if you're open to adventure. Stats also say that if you want to practice in the States afterwards, it shouldn't be a problem (as compared to what college premed advisors will tell you). Enjoy!
Loki

Wow, the Nepal trip sounds absolutely amazing. I have already graduated college, so I don't think I can actually study abroad now :( Anyone else know of any other opportunities abroad for college grads hoping to get into med school next year?

If you do it then do it for the right reasons (ie - you're genuinely interested in international medicine and are thinking of perusing it).

Lots of people do this kind of stuff so it doesn't impress adcoms as much as you'd think. An adcom at a UC school told me she doesn't see any difference between going abroad and feeding and vaccinating Peruvian kids as just working in a free clinic (also - working in a free clinic is much cheaper!!)