Volunteering limits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Donald Kimball

Yale thing?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I volunteer at a free clinic, and aside from front desk work and restocking, I also take patients back, collect their vitals and a simple history.

At a nursing home I visit, I occasionally attend to personal care for the resident I'm with, if the occasion arises.

While shadowing in the ER, the resident had me irrigate a wound and apply some antibacterial ointment.

One of my friends told me that only nurses, CNAs, and/or physicians are allowed to do these sorts of things, and it got me thinking because I'm really not sure what am I or am not allowed to do as a volunteer or shadow.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Your friend is partially correct, that technically only nurses, CNAs, and/or physicians are [supposed to be] alloweded to do these things. But guess what? Pre-meds on here say you should volunteer at free clinics specifically so that you can get these types of experiences. Free clinics are attractive to pre-meds not because they give two ***** about the poor, but because they generally do more hands-on stuff compared to a typical hospital ED volunteering gig. When I volunteered in a hospital ED, I couldn't even shake the patient's hand!

Now if you're uncomfortable listing these things in your personal statement or at interviews (since you posted on this forum), then don't mention them. Remember, ADCOMs want you to simply witness the clinical environment. There's no expectation for you to touch the patient or learn any specific skills. As long as you are being supervised by the staff, you can do pretty much anything they allow you to do. Of course you should refuse if you feel uncomfortable.

On the other hand, if you were doing these things on a medical mission trip, you'd get blasted on this forum in no time. :rolleyes:

Oops. I'm comfortable doing these tasks, but I'm not sure if it's okay to mention them in update letters, personal statement, or AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops. I'm comfortable doing these tasks, but I'm not sure if it's okay to mention them in update letters, personal statement, or AMCAS.

I would definitely mention that you were collecting their vitals and taking a history. Leave out the parts where you were irrigating the wounds and applying ointment. Instead say that you were with the resident while he or she was doing it, but do NOT mention touching the patient in any way.

1. You can do whatever they let you do. You're a volunteer. The burden of responsibility/accountability is on them. I had a friend that got to participate in vaginal deliveries as a college student. There are medical students that got less exposure than she did. If the attending allows it, don't question it. If a nurse offers to let you start an IV or something you're interested in doing, do it. They aren't going to notify AAMC and say you were irrigating wounds without a license.

2. You're really over analyzing AMCAS if you're getting this detail oriented. The idea is to make it clear you've had exposure to the field and experience with patients. But, whether or not you've irrigated a wound and applied ointment has no bearing. They're not going to read that and view you as a stronger candidate. If you leave it out, it won't affect you.

Mothers irrigate and put ointment on wounds as the need arises. So to Boy Scout patrol leaders. It hardly requires a license.
OP, if it addresses your desire to be a physician, go for it.