volunteering over the summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gobbler

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there, this is my first post. I have a situation, I can volunteer alot during the summer but have little time when school comes around. Would this be looked upon kindly by med schools? I think I can get volunteer positions during the summer where I am volunteering Monday to Friday 8:30 - 5 pm every week but it ends when September comes around.

So when I apply for med schools, do I just take the # of hrs I did during the summer and divide it by the # of weeks during the semester or this won't work?

Thanks,

Regards.

Members don't see this ad.

You have to give a period of time (month-wise) when you volunteer on your application, so no you can't say you volunteered during the semester if you really didn't. Volunteering in the summer is great, but medical schools will also want to see you can manage your time efficiently by volunteering during classes, as well, even if it isn't a terribly large time commitment. I volunteered for 3 hours/week during classes. I would try to find time to volunteer during the semester.

I volunteered during the summer before I applied for about 30hrs a week for about 1 month in a hospital. Thats all the volunteering I did. The adcoms only care if the volunteering gave you some insight or you learned from the volunteering. If it was meanignful. They hardly care that it was during the year or a very long time. Just volunteer, get something out of it and be able to talk about it suring interviews.

Ah, that's great to know. Thank you so much!