volunteering.. please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanderdown

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am looking to apply to vet school this fall (current finishing a masters) and I'm so glad I found this forum!

I would like to (and need to) get some animal/vet experience, so I've been calling around to get info. The problem is that I have literally called about 2 dozen places and NOBODY would take a volunteer.

Anyone else have this problem? Perhaps I am approaching this the wrong way. I simply call them and ask if they have any volunteering opportunities.

What do I need to do?

Please help, and thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I am looking to apply to vet school this fall (current finishing a masters) and I'm so glad I found this forum!

I would like to (and need to) get some animal/vet experience, so I've been calling around to get info. The problem is that I have literally called about 2 dozen places and NOBODY would take a volunteer.

Anyone else have this problem? Perhaps I am approaching this the wrong way. I simply call them and ask if they have any volunteering opportunities.

What do I need to do?

Please help, and thank you!!

it may help to tell them you are applying to veterinary school and would like to shadow a Dr. or help with kennels. i would also recommend looking into shelters.

it may help to tell them you are applying to veterinary school and would like to shadow a Dr. or help with kennels. i would also recommend looking into shelters.
Some non-profit vet hospitals, for example, Harrison Memorial in Denver, train volunteers to help animals recover from surgery. I would imagine that shelters that do in-house spay/neuters may also offer similar opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely let them know that you are applying to vet school, but then tell them you are interested in either volunteer or shadowing experience.

When I went around, I asked strictly for shadowing opportunities. I shadowed my first vet about 3 times before I realized he was okay with me being actively involved in the things going on in the clinic (i.e. restraining animals, cleaning, laundry, etc), so now I consider myself a volunteer there.

At the second clinic, my experience is strictly shadowing. The only thing I've really been allowed to do is clean the table in the exam room, which is fine because he seems to explain more and keep me involved that way.

Definately check out animal shelters in the area too. The shelter I work at has a full-time veterinarian and a medical lab, so we always need medical volunteers to medicate, vaccinate, and examine animals, and the veterinarian is always happy to have volunteers observe surgeries. Just make sure the shelter has a veterinarian though, because a lot of shelters don't and though you might get great animal experience at one without a vet, you won't be able to put on your application that your hours were veterinary-related.

Also, just a funny anecdote about my shadowing experience. The town I used to live in had tons of vets in it, but I spent 2 months calling and going to each and everyone within a 30min drive trying to find one that would take me on for shadowing, but no one would. Finally, I walked into my "last hope" and was completely desperate at this point, and I saw the veterinarian standing at the front desk. I hurried up to him, and (acting as if I knew him) said "Dr. such-and-such, can I have a moment?" and he was befuddled and took me into an exam room where I gave him my speil about shadowing and he was so amused that I had the gall to just run up to him that he took me on!

I would send a letter and a one page resume. I have had good success with that, rather than cold calling.

I would send a letter and a one page resume. I have had good success with that, rather than cold calling.

:thumbup: when i first started trying to find an intern position i called the clinics and all the secretaries told me no for various reasons. so then i sent out letters addressed to specific veterinarians with a cover letter and resume, one vet called me back the next day! i realized later that the secretaries are like a huge barrier because the doctors are busy but they don't really know when it is appropriate to ask the doctor (take a message) and when to turn away people, they just turn everyone away haha so i would do that. and i would probably send it letters out to all the places you already called. the worst that could happen is the vet reads it and then throws it away, the best that could happen is they call u! make sure to put your phone number and email down as some prefer different things

I've also had luck directly emailing the veterinarian-- he had his email listed on the place's website. Not as personable as a letter, but it worked the first try for me! I also think going in person is a lot better than just calling (or emailing, haha).

My vet rolls her eyes about the people that leave messages on the phone or send emails. They're looking for employment, though, but I'd imagine it's a similar situation. We always ask that people drop off a resume. Most never follow through... but we select employee possibilities from those that do.

So, I think a resume with cover lettter goes a long way no matter if you want to shadow or be hired. Impress them! And when you drop it off in person, dress normal/nice... no tube tops please. ;)

I agree with Barnsey's approach 100%! Hoping that the doctor you plan on approaching is personable and friendly, I think introducing yourself to the doctor you wish to work with is your best bet. I've been thrown into a never ending circle of receptionists telling me the doctor would get back to me, but they would never actually deliver the message. It leaves a good impression on yourself because it shows how determined you are to have the position. Right now I work at two different VCA Animal Hospitals and I'm loving it! Good luck finding the right place and don't give up!

I know a lot of clinics won't take "volunteers" because of liability issues, i.e. you can sue them if an animal bites you. I would stick to what others have already said. Tell them you are applying to vet school and that you want to "shadow" the vet(s)

My general method was to stop in with a resume and cover letter and a home baked item. Talk very nicely to the receptionist. I would go in around 11:30am, and would assure the receptionist that I was happy to sit and wait in the waiting area if they were dealing with clients. Then I would make nice with the clients, complimenting their pets. If they coudn't talk to me then an there, I would ask the receptionist when the best time to call to speak to the vet or office manager. Then, would jot a note on teh bottom of the cover letter "I understand you are very busy; I will call between X and Y on T date to discuss an opputunity to shadow' or someting similar.

When I got to talk to vets, I expressed interest in shadowing or volunteering, gave them the parameters of when I coud volunteer (G afternoon, H morning, etc), emphasized what I was hopingto gain, and if I had useful skills, offered to trade services. IE maybe they didn't want a volunteer underfoot, but I could observe for 4 hours in exchange for a couple hours of data entry or filing, or record clearing or such.

I had more oppurtunities to shadow...and once you find a few vets, generally they can refer you to others for more diverse experiences.

Just as suggestion...
First, pay attention to the size of the place you're calling. I worked in a small, one doctor clinic where on a busy day we had enough work for 3 people. On a regular day, we were just busy enough for 2 people to handle most of the work. Not only that, but the doctor lived close by and if there weren't any appointments going on he would go home for a few hours. So really, volunteer and shadowing opportunities were limited at best even if we did want to take someone on.

Second, when you go in even for volunteer reasons make sure you dress nicely. Our doctor asked us for our impressions on people who dropped off their resume and a lot of that was based on how people looked and acted. You can bet the person who came in dressed and made up nicely and communicated clearly got a lot better recommendation than the person who came in in a sweatshirt and flipflops, chewing gum and asking for an application. And yes, that does happen. Often :p

If youre still looking for a place to volenteer, try finding the nearest Petsmart with a Banfields. Take a resume with a coverletter and dress nicely, but comfortably because they might make you shadow a PetNurse for an hour to decide if you want to work there (they did for me--and I was NOT dressed for getting down and dirty). Banfields has positions specifically for interns and its not a bad place to work. I love working at my Banfields, the only thing that would make me happier is getting paid to do it.

Good information. I have applied at 30+ places so far and have not received any responses on volunteering opportunities over the last 5 years (1 submission each year).

I think I will look more into shadowing requests from now on.

I had trouble finding a dr. to let me shadow, as well.
What finally worked for me was going to career services at my school, finding out that they have an alumni directory where you can search for alumni by profession. I then found the name of a local vet, and her personal email, and all I did was email her directly, and I finally got to shadow someone.
Also, I found a large animal vet to shadow in the same way, except I found the clinic's email address on their website, and he emailed me back.
So yeah, for some reason I've had much better luck with email than cover letter + phone call.

Also, I found a semi-local spay/neuter clinic that allowed me to get a bunch of hands-on vet experience. They actively advertised wanting volunteers on their website, and did not have as much liability stuff to worry about as the private clinic I shadowed at.

Well I've finally found a vet to shadow! You guys were right - I just needed to tell them exactly what I was after (and using the word "shadow" rather than "volunteer"). Finding a volunteer position seems harder than finding a paid one, which I totally understand now because of all the liability issues.

The vet I'm with right now is very nice, but I was really hoping to get more hands-on experience. Does shadowing count as "veterinary experience" even if I do absolutely nothing? I do feel like I'm learning a lot though.

Also, I don't think doing what I do right now (even for a long time) will let me get to know the vet well enough for her to write me any recommendations! This is really by far the most stressful part of vet school applications.

Well I've finally found a vet to shadow! You guys were right - I just needed to tell them exactly what I was after (and using the word "shadow" rather than "volunteer"). Finding a volunteer position seems harder than finding a paid one, which I totally understand now because of all the liability issues.

The vet I'm with right now is very nice, but I was really hoping to get more hands-on experience. Does shadowing count as "veterinary experience" even if I do absolutely nothing? I do feel like I'm learning a lot though.

Also, I don't think doing what I do right now (even for a long time) will let me get to know the vet well enough for her to write me any recommendations! This is really by far the most stressful part of vet school applications.

That's exciting! :thumbup:

It absolutely does count as vet experience, so no worries there. It does kind of stink to stand and observe all the time, but asking questions will really help.

When I first started shadowing, I made friends with the vet techs by asking what the most interesting cases were since they'd been working there, and just chatting with them.

I also ask the vets I shadow questions (I try to learn something new about the profession each time I go in), but I try to keep in mind the fact that they are still working so I shouldn't be terribly distracting. It's nice to start off with the standard, "What are your favorite and least favorite aspects of the profession?" Then you can just play off their answers and get to know them a little better. I did that with one of the vets I shadow, and now he asks about school, and about the engineering curriculum at my school because his son is interested in taking that route. Eventually they should learn enough about you to write a good letter, and you should obtain a very meaningful experience. At least that's my goal.... lol.