Help please or I’m giving up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmiam2

Reaction score
Anyone who is currently in vet school or has DVM did you ever have an F in a class that you retook and got a passing grade? Right now I have a low F in ochem and I’m obviously going to retake it but my advisor said it stays on my record and it could drop my GPA down below a 2.0 and wouldn’t even be able to graduate. He also said that when I retake it their original F stays in my records and that some professional schools either average the two grades or the chose the best one. Would I still get in with an F on my transcripts even if I retook it and passed or should I just quit while I’m ahead…

Members don't see this ad.

Plenty of people have failed classes and ended up in vet school. I think there might be some people on this forum even.

You won't be able to apply to any school if your overall or total science GPA is too low (2.7 for the most permissive schools. 3.0 for most schools, I think). Some schools focus on your last 45 credits, some schools will let you replace grades rather than average them. Even if you do average grades, an F + B averaging into a C range for Orgo is probably fine as long as your overall GPA is ok. Tons of people in the world got a C equivalent in orgo and went on to be veterinarians.

One of our instructors got a straight 0.0 GPA during college one semester and then went on to get her DVM later. I absolutely don't recommend it as a strategy, but a lone F on your transcript is not going to tank your chances completely.

Reactions: 11 users
Plenty of people have failed classes and ended up in vet school. I think there might be some people on this forum even.

You won't be able to apply to any school if your overall or total science GPA is too low (2.7 for the most permissive schools. 3.0 for most schools, I think). Some schools focus on your last 45 credits, some schools will let you replace grades rather than average them. Even if you do average grades, an F + B averaging into a C range for Orgo is probably fine as long as your overall GPA is ok. Tons of people in the world got a C equivalent in orgo and went on to be veterinarians.

One of our instructors got a straight 0.0 GPA during college one semester and then went on to get her DVM later. I absolutely don't recommend it as a strategy, but a lone F on your transcript is not going to tank your chances completely.
@LetItSnow had a 0.0 GPA in his first, pre-veterinarian life I believe.

@jmiam2 if one F is going to pull your GPA under 2.0, you have more to be worried about than one failed course. What do your other grades look like? Is this course your first foray into the heavier college level sciences?

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
can't you withdraw from the class?

Reactions: 1 users
can't you withdraw from the class?

I’m trying because the withdraw date has passed so I had to petition to withdraw but the registrar said I would probably get it.

Reactions: 2 users
@LetItSnow had a 0.0 GPA in his first, pre-veterinarian life I believe.

@jmiam2 if one F is going to pull your GPA under 2.0, you have more to be worried about than one failed course. What do your other grades look like? Is this course your first foray into the heavier college level sciences?

I think my advisor was just trying to scare me idk. This is my first F and I’ve never gotten a D before I have mostly As with some Bs and Cs this is not my first heavier college level science class I’m almost done with my degree actually. I am taking micro and animal phys in the fall with mammalian bio and physic and maybe biochem in the spring and after that I have to take orgo two and physics 2. I’m retaking orgo 1 at a local community college because the ochem professors at my school all suck and everyone I know has or is retaking it a 2nd or 3rd time.

I’m trying to withdraw and retake it so the F doesn’t stay on my transcript. This one girl at my school was showing us her transcripts from her VMCAS application and she had all As 1 B and 1C and out of the 6 schools she applied to only got 2 interviews and only got accepted at 1 school… I don’t have those grades. I have mostly As some Bs and some Cs so I know I probably won’t get in just based on that alone but I still want to stay positive about it.

I’m trying to withdraw and retake it so the F doesn’t stay on my transcript. This one girl at my school was showing us her transcripts from her VMCAS application and she had all As 1 B and 1C and out of the 6 schools she applied to only got 2 interviews and only got accepted at 1 school… I don’t have those grades. I have mostly As some Bs and some Cs so I know I probably won’t get in just based on that alone but I still want to stay positive about it.
I applied to 8 schools this cycle, and got 4 interviews with multiple Cs on my transcripts. Cs are not the end of the world... Granted it was differential equations and biochem (which I retook and did better in). I also had a C on my graduate transcripts and still will be starting vet school in the fall. Basically, grades aren't the be all end all when it comes to applying. Who you are as a person, your experiences (both vet and non-vet) and how you are able to convey that in your application also matter-- strong letters of recommendation will be your friend when your grades may not necessarily be "perfect".

Basically, grades aren't the be all end all when it comes to applying. Who you are as a person, your experiences (both vet and non-vet) and how you are able to convey that in your application also matter-- strong letters of recommendation will be your friend when your grades may not necessarily be "perfect".
Seconding this. I had multiple Cs, 2 Ds, 1 F, and 2 withdrawals on my transcripts and I will be starting vet school this fall. I did retake the class I got the F in. When I was applying, I just had to double check which schools looked at what GPAs. My overall GPA was okay, but I believe my last 45 was lower than some schools would have accepted.

it could drop my GPA down below a 2.0 and wouldn’t even be able to graduate
This is actually my biggest concern. This indicates a D+/C- average for your grades overall. You absolutely can get into vet school with a single F (I did and so did plenty of people here). However, you cannot get into vet school with a </= 2.0 overall without some significant changes and proof that you can handle the course load of vet school (20+ credits per semester).

Tbh, to give you a better perspective on where you stand, we'd need more information on your application (like in the "what are my chances" sub forum).

You could still very well get into vet school some day. But if you're at risk of not graduating, getting into vet school should be on the back burner while you figure out what's going on school/life wise.

Reactions: 9 users
I completely agree with battie. I had a number of Cs, two Fs, and seven Ws on my transcripts (both undergrad a post-bacc) and will be starting vet school this fall. However, to potentially be at risk of not graduating indicates there is something going on more broadly. One thing I will add is that if this isn't the case and your advisor is in fact "just trying to scare" you, I would recommend switching advisors. While they are supposed to give objective feedback and guidance, scaring you with the threat of not graduating when you're not actually at risk of that is not it.

Reactions: 7 users
This is actually my biggest concern. This indicates a D+/C- average for your grades overall. You absolutely can get into vet school with a single F (I did and so did plenty of people here). However, you cannot get into vet school with a </= 2.0 overall without some significant changes and proof that you can handle the course load of vet school (20+ credits per semester).

Tbh, to give you a better perspective on where you stand, we'd need more information on your application (like in the "what are my chances" sub forum).

You could still very well get into vet school some day. But if you're at risk of not graduating, getting into vet school should be on the back burner while you figure out what's going on school/life wise.
I agree completely with Battie here. A D or F (heck, even two!) is one thing, and it generally won't impede you from getting admitted into vet school provided that you have overall healthy GPAs and that your application is otherwise competitive. Unfortunately, hearing that receiving an F in organic chem is likely to drop your GPA to 2.0 indicates that it is probably not your only problematic grade. We'd need some more details, but you may need to retake multiple classes, especially if those poor grades are in vet school prereqs.

More importantly, as someone who did well in undergrad but was actually academically dismissed from vet school halfway through the program, pre-vets should also realize that just because you may eventually matriculate into vet school does not necessarily mean you're home free and guaranteed to graduate. The fact remains, vet school is several magnitudes more difficult than undergrad for the overwhelming majority of students; remember, vet school is essentially nothing but 20-30 credits' worth of upper-division science per semester. You, as an applicant, are on the front for burden of proof that you would be able to handle that courseload. It sounds like you may not be able to offer up such evidence at this time if your GPAs are truly as low as it sounds like they may be. Through retakes or possibly pursing a masters or post-bacc, you might be able to turn things around and show schools that you have what it takes to survive a DVM curriculum. But you need to dig deep and figure out what issues are preventing you from succeeding in your classwork; there's a strong chance that, if you don't actively address them, they may come back to haunt you tenfold in vet school.

But that's still several degrees removed from the position you're in at this moment. You should focus on doing what you need to do in order to stay enrolled in your current program. That's the more immediate concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with everything that has been said. You can definitely get into vet school with not the best grades if the rest of your app is good or if you apply to the schools that work best for your application (ie some schools focus on holistic vs last 45 GPA). Posting in the WAMC thread could be helpful for us to give some advice on more of your application.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is actually my biggest concern. This indicates a D+/C- average for your grades overall. You absolutely can get into vet school with a single F (I did and so did plenty of people here). However, you cannot get into vet school with a

I have a 3.5 overall right now, my advisor is an dingus and is trying to scare me. I actually have a D in the class and thought I had an F because my professor said I have an F but he hasn’t put in all the grades, just exams. I’m honestly a little pissed at both of them for causing me so much stress and essentially crushing my dreams for no reason there’s literally no way that 1 F can drop my 3.5 below a 2.0… I actually made myself physically I’ll I’ve had the flu because of it (not really but I want to blame me being sick on them)

I agree completely with Battie here. A D or F (heck, even two!) is one thing, and it generally won't impede you from getting admitted into vet school provided that you have overall healthy GPAs and that your application is otherwise competitive. Unfortunately, hearing that receiving an F in organic chem is likely to drop your GPA to 2.0 indicates that it is probably not your only problematic grade. We'd need some more details, but you may need to retake multiple classes, especially if those poor grades are in vet school prereqs.

More importantly, as someone who did well in undergrad but was actually academically dismissed from vet school halfway through the program, pre-vets should also realize that just because you may eventually matriculate into vet school does not necessarily mean you're home free and guaranteed to graduate. The fact remains, vet school is several magnitudes more difficult than undergrad for the overwhelming majority of students; remember, vet school is essentially nothing but 20-30 credits' worth of upper-division science per semester. You, as an applicant, are on the front for burden of proof that you would be able to handle that courseload. It sounds like you may not be able to offer up such evidence at this time if your GPAs are truly as low as it sounds like they may be. Through retakes or possibly pursing a masters or post-bacc, you might be able to turn things around and show schools that you have what it takes to survive a DVM curriculum. But you need to dig deep and figure out what issues are preventing you from succeeding in your classwork; there's a strong chance that, if you don't actively address them, they may come back to haunt you tenfold in vet school.

But that's still several degrees removed from the position you're in at this moment. You should focus on doing what you need to do in order to stay enrolled in your current program. That's the more immediate concern.

I should’ve made it more clear. I have a 3.55 overall GPA my advisor just wanted to scare me to make me think it would drop below a 2.0 with an F because I transferred and my GPA didn’t transfer so last semester I had a 2.96 semester GPA because I was in the middle of being diagnosed with gastroparesis. But with all my credits I have a 3.5 overall. There’s no physical way that my overall would drop below a 2.0

I should’ve made it more clear. I have a 3.55 overall GPA my advisor just wanted to scare me to make me think it would drop below a 2.0 with an F because I transferred and my GPA didn’t transfer so last semester I had a 2.96 semester GPA because I was in the middle of being diagnosed with gastroparesis. But with all my credits I have a 3.5 overall. There’s no physical way that my overall would drop below a 2.0
It’s good that your cumulative GPA is solid, but it will of course not look good if your institutional GPA drops such that you can’t complete the program. A strong last 45 credit hours is important, and it sounds like with your current medical struggles that your trend is downward which obviously isn’t great. If and when you do apply, I would be sure to include an explanation statement and have someone proof-read it before submission; saying disparaging things about your advisor and professors will not be looked upon kindly by admissions committees.

Step 1: start keeping track of your own academic progress. This advisor isn't helpful. Log in weekly to see where you stand with this institution with your grades. If necessary, make/find an excel sheet to keep track of your grades. My institution didn't have a pre vet advisor, so this is what I did.

Step 2: VMCAS will factor in your previous institution's grades. So is your overall cumulative GPA 3.55 (current institution and past institution), or is that the GPA of your current institution? If overall, good job on improving so much in one semester. If not overall, then remember your GPA is likely a 3.25ish range instead (depending on the number of credits you're at).

This is what I mean when I say we need more information to be able to give you a better idea of where you stand. There are a ton of details here that we didn't know and change the situation. I encourage you to fill out a WAMC to get an idea of where you stand.

Step 3: definitely discuss your medical issues in school on the VMCAS. Schools will take these situations into consideration when evaluating applicants.

Step 4: vet school.

Step 5: veterinarian (but not a lot of profit 🤣)

Step 1: start keeping track of your own academic progress. This advisor isn't helpful. Log in weekly to see where you stand with this institution with your grades. If necessary, make/find an excel sheet to keep track of your grades. My institution didn't have a pre vet advisor, so this is what I did.

Step 2: VMCAS will factor in your previous institution's grades. So is your overall cumulative GPA 3.55 (current institution and past institution), or is that the GPA of your current institution? If overall, good job on improving so much in one semester. If not overall, then remember your GPA is likely a 3.25ish range instead (depending on the number of credits you're at).

This is what I mean when I say we need more information to be able to give you a better idea of where you stand. There are a ton of details here that we didn't know and change the situation. I encourage you to fill out a WAMC to get an idea of where you stand.

Step 3: definitely discuss your medical issues in school on the VMCAS. Schools will take these situations into consideration when evaluating applicants.

Step 4: vet school.

Step 5: veterinarian (but not a lot of profit )

So yes it is my combined current and past institutions. I am 100% going to put down all the stuff that has happened that had taken focus away from school, every semester it’s something new, it’s what happens when your chronically ill, this semester it was a lump on my leg and no one knew what it was and my biopsy results just came back and thank god it’s not cancer so it’s just always something. I have decent grades. What is my downfall is that I didn’t decide I wanted to go to vet school until I was a junior in college so I am extremely behind in experience and preparation. I have to keep reminding myself that the people I’m surrounded by have wanted to do this and have been taking all the proper steps their whole life to get there and I haven’t. Had I known I wanted to be a vet I would’ve taken different electives in high school, had a different job, gotten more hours and would have never started as a special education major. I know this semester I’m getting a B a C and an A and i don’t know about what my orgo grade is going to be, I’m hoping that i can get a C and be the first person I know that doesn’t have to retake it, but the chances of that happening are slim. I’m not stupid I’m just behind and I’ve had to rush to make up for lost time. At this point I’m going on 6 years of undergrad and I’m burnt out and that has a lot to do with my grades as well, I just want to start the next part of my life.

So yes it is my combined current and past institutions. I am 100% going to put down all the stuff that has happened that had taken focus away from school, every semester it’s something new, it’s what happens when your chronically ill, this semester it was a lump on my leg and no one knew what it was and my biopsy results just came back and thank god it’s not cancer so it’s just always something. I have decent grades. What is my downfall is that I didn’t decide I wanted to go to vet school until I was a junior in college so I am extremely behind in experience and preparation. I have to keep reminding myself that the people I’m surrounded by have wanted to do this and have been taking all the proper steps their whole life to get there and I haven’t. Had I known I wanted to be a vet I would’ve taken different electives in high school, had a different job, gotten more hours and would have never started as a special education major. I know this semester I’m getting a B a C and an A and i don’t know about what my orgo grade is going to be, I’m hoping that i can get a C and be the first person I know that doesn’t have to retake it, but the chances of that happening are slim. I’m not stupid I’m just behind and I’ve had to rush to make up for lost time. At this point I’m going on 6 years of undergrad and I’m burnt out and that has a lot to do with my grades as well, I just want to start the next part of my life.
I know a bunch of vet students who didn’t know they wanted to go to vet school since the beginning - ie some non-traditional students where vetmed is their second career and some students who didn’t know until junior/sophmore year of college that they wanted to go to vet school. Definitely not everyone has the years of experience prior - just have to appreciate what you have done and figure out for the future what needs to be done prior to applying. If you haven’t already, I would start shadowing a vet. Gaining enough veterinary hours takes time in itself but finding a practice that will let you come shadow/work can be difficult.

I can only speak for myself and my experience but vet school is much harder than undergrad. Sadly, getting that acceptance to vet school doesn’t mean it’s an easy ticket to a DVM. I have a handful of classmates that have dropped out or had to repeat a year. You have to make sure that you truly want to be a vet and can deal with the long and arduous road ahead.

Reactions: 3 users
I know a bunch of vet students who didn’t know they wanted to go to vet school since the beginning - ie some non-traditional students where vetmed is their second career and some students who didn’t know until junior/sophmore year of college that they wanted to go to vet school. Definitely not everyone has the years of experience prior - just have to appreciate what you have done and figure out for the future what needs to be done prior to applying. If you haven’t already, I would start shadowing a vet. Gaining enough veterinary hours takes time in itself but finding a practice that will let you come shadow/work can be difficult.

I can only speak for myself and my experience but vet school is much harder than undergrad. Sadly, getting that acceptance to vet school doesn’t mean it’s an easy ticket to a DVM. I have a handful of classmates that have dropped out or had to repeat a year. You have to make sure that you truly want to be a vet and can deal with the long and arduous road ahead.

I already have over 150 hours of vet/animal experience so far. I shadow a couple vets in one hospital. I know it’s going to be harder for me given some of struggles with learning (mainly just taking exams) but I’m working on that now so I don’t have to struggle with that when I get in. I don’t mind having to repeat a year if I have to, I really just don’t want to give up.

I know this is easy to say and less easy to accept, but life isn't a race. There's no special prize to get "there" first. Who cares if you take 6, 7, 8, 9 years, it is ok. Especially since you're dealing with health issues others don't have to deal with on top of it all. I get wanting to just move on to the next chapter, but it is completely ok to take the time you need. If you're already burnt out now, vet school will compound that, it is ok to take a "you" break too. There's no "right" way, path, time, experience, etc to get to vet school. Whatever path gets you there regardless of how long that path takes is valid. Try to remember to enjoy life along the way too, I wish I'd stopped to "smell the flowers" a bit more along my journey if you get what I'm saying. 😉

Reactions: 13 users
it’s what happens when your chronically ill, this semester it was a lump on my leg and no one knew what it was and my biopsy results just came back and thank god it’s not cancer so it’s just always something. I have decent grades. What is my downfall is that I didn’t decide I wanted to go to vet school until I was a junior in college so I am extremely behind in experience and preparation. I have to keep reminding myself that the people I’m surrounded by have wanted to do this and have been taking all the proper steps their whole life to get there and I haven’t. Had I known I wanted to be a vet I would’ve taken different electives in high school, had a different job, gotten more hours and would have never started as a special education major. I know this semester I’m getting a B a C and an A and i don’t know about what my orgo grade is going to be, I’m hoping that i can get a C and be the first person I know that doesn’t have to retake it, but the chances of that happening are slim. I’m not stupid I’m just behind and I’ve had to rush to make up for lost time. At this point I’m going on 6 years of undergrad and I’m burnt out and that has a lot to do with my grades as well, I just want to start the next part of my life.
Wow r u me?

You can do this. I’m also chronically ill (and didn’t decide on vet school until senior year of college, but I was in a science major to start with so at least I had many of the prereqs already) and it’s definitely tough to manage while in vet school. Definitely get set up with the disability service at whatever school you end up at and get an accommodations letter for anything you may need while in vet school, including having professors record lectures if they don’t already in case you are sick and need to miss class and watch later.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow r u me?

You can do this. I’m also chronically ill (and didn’t decide on vet school until senior year of college, but I was in a science major to start with so at least I had many of the prereqs already) and it’s definitely tough to manage while in vet school. Definitely get set up with the disability service at whatever school you end up at and get an accommodations letter for anything you may need while in vet school, including having professors record lectures if they don’t already in case you are sick and need to miss class and watch later.

I have accommodations at the school I’m at now for undergrad, I wasn’t sure they offered them at vet school which is good to know. Thank you and ya it sounds like I am haha!

I have accommodations at the school I’m at now for undergrad, I wasn’t sure they offered them at vet school which is good to know. Thank you and ya it sounds like I am haha!
Yep definitely should be allowed to have them in vet school too. I have mobility issues and need access to a chair so it’s in my accommodations so that clinicians can’t try and deny me one if I need one, without hearing the wrath of the disability office 😂

Yep definitely should be allowed to have them in vet school too. I have mobility issues and need access to a chair so it’s in my accommodations so that clinicians can’t try and deny me one if I need one, without hearing the wrath of the disability office

See my accommodations are for my anxiety and type 1 diabetes so mine is like extended time on exams and the ability to have my phone and food and drink in class

See my accommodations are for my anxiety and type 1 diabetes so mine is like extended time on exams and the ability to have my phone and food and drink in class
I know multiple people in my class who have extended exam time! You could also see about getting something in there for fourth year (mine got renewed every year with any necessary changes made) about needing to be able to take breaks for food when needed just to CYA during rotations like surgery where the days are long and can get busy and you have a way to make sure that you can eat if you get stuck in a long surgery. One of my friends had something similar in hers for her specific medical issues, just so that no one could tell her no and she didn’t have to stress about asking to leave a long surgery for a bit if she absolutely needed to.

I know multiple people in my class who have extended exam time! You could also see about getting something in there for fourth year (mine got renewed every year with any necessary changes made) about needing to be able to take breaks for food when needed just to CYA during rotations like surgery where the days are long and can get busy and you have a way to make sure that you can eat if you get stuck in a long surgery. One of my friends had something similar in hers for her specific medical issues, just so that no one could tell her no and she didn’t have to stress about asking to leave a long surgery for a bit if she absolutely needed to.

Wow thank you for sharing I needed to know this for sure!

Anyone who is currently in vet school or has DVM did you ever have an F in a class that you retook and got a passing grade? Right now I have a low F in ochem and I’m obviously going to retake it but my advisor said it stays on my record and it could drop my GPA down below a 2.0 and wouldn’t even be able to graduate. He also said that when I retake it their original F stays in my records and that some professional schools either average the two grades or the chose the best one. Would I still get in with an F on my transcripts even if I retook it and passed or should I just quit while I’m ahead…
I failed two math classes. They weren't supposed to let me in the 2nd one since I didn't pass the first so idk what happened. I struggled because they were online classes and I just didn't do well learning that way. Then I retook them and got A's. At my community college on my transcript they replace the old grade with the new grade. However, VMCAS averages the two out. Do NOT retake any class that you didn't get below a C-; does not help your chances.

Anyways, I ended up with a fairly avg cumulative GPA (I think around 3.5 or 3.6). It took me 3 tries to get into vet school but my GPA was never an issue when I did file reviews. I did very well on the GRE which I guess can bump you into tier 1 at schools that consider it.

I failed two math classes. They weren't supposed to let me in the 2nd one since I didn't pass the first so idk what happened. I struggled because they were online classes and I just didn't do well learning that way. Then I retook them and got A's. At my community college on my transcript they replace the old grade with the new grade. However, VMCAS averages the two out. Do NOT retake any class that you didn't get below a C-; does not help your chances.

Anyways, I ended up with a fairly avg cumulative GPA (I think around 3.5 or 3.6). It took me 3 tries to get into vet school but my GPA was never an issue when I did file reviews. I did very well on the GRE which I guess can bump you into tier 1 at schools that consider it.

What did you do each time you applied to improve you application did you get a masters, did you work did you both? I know I’m not going to get in this cycle for sure but I just want to know what others did.

What did you do each time you applied to improve you application did you get a masters, did you work did you both? I know I’m not going to get in this cycle for sure but I just want to know what others did.
The first year I applied I did not put enough effort into my application and actually left out some experiences. I was not granted any interviews that year but only applied to two schools.

The second application I had just gained some more diverse experience (more equine, lab animal, avian, and general volunteer hours) and finished my bachelor's degree (was in progress the first year). I applied to 3 schools and was granted interviews at all of them but bombed the interviews. I was waitlisted at every school but never called off.

The third application I added pathology experience and did mock interviews for practice. I applied to five schools, granted interviews at three, accepted at two schools and ended up cancelling the third interview since I already had two acceptances.

My main focus was to just add experience because I did not feel my GPA was my weak point.

The first year I applied I did not put enough effort into my application and actually left out some experiences. I was not granted any interviews that year but only applied to two schools.

The second application I had just gained some more diverse experience (more equine, lab animal, avian, and general volunteer hours) and finished my bachelor's degree (was in progress the first year). I applied to 3 schools and was granted interviews at all of them but bombed the interviews. I was waitlisted at every school but never called off.

The third application I added pathology experience and did mock interviews for practice. I applied to five schools, granted interviews at three, accepted at two schools and ended up cancelling the third interview since I already had two acceptances.

My main focus was to just add experience because I did not feel my GPA was my weak point.

Ok thank you so much for sharing. I have experience with avian, exotics (marine animals), and small animal I need large animal experience. I might try and get a job or volunteer at my universities farm to get that but last time I was there I almost threw up (nothing makes me sick ever) because the pigs omg the pigs…

Ok thank you so much for sharing. I have experience with avian, exotics (marine animals), and small animal I need large animal experience. I might try and get a job or volunteer at my universities farm to get that but last time I was there I almost threw up (nothing makes me sick ever) because the pigs omg the pigs…
Only if you feel diversity is the weakest part of your application. You certainly don't need large animal experience to get in.

Another reason for me not pursuing a master's is because I needed to work full time to pay my rent.

Only if you feel diversity is the weakest part of your application. You certainly don't need large animal experience to get in.

Another reason for me not pursuing a master's is because I needed to work full time to pay my rent.

Ok ya I want to work but I might take some classes just to boost my gpa like animal nutrition and medical terminology and stuff that I don’t need but make sense for vet school. My back up is nursing but I don’t like people and I want to specialize in zoo med so I don’t have to deal with pet parents and stuff like that.

Ok ya I want to work but I might take some classes just to boost my gpa like animal nutrition and medical terminology and stuff that I don’t need but make sense for vet school. My back up is nursing but I don’t like people and I want to specialize in zoo med so I don’t have to deal with pet parents and stuff like that.
Just want to point out that you still have to work with people even in vet med. Even in a zoo, you’ll have workers peripheral to you. I think it’s a disservice to support staff to always tout vet med as a channel for avoiding humans. We work together in a tightly knit, fast paced environment and should always work on our communication with other humans.

Just want to point out that you still have to work with people even in vet med. Even in a zoo, you’ll have workers peripheral to you. I think it’s a disservice to support staff to always tout vet med as a channel for avoiding humans. We work together in a tightly knit, fast paced environment and should always work on our communication with other humans.
This is a very fair point. Although, for me personally the thing I don't like about client interactions is having owners that refuse diagnostics/treatments or don't follow instructions, and certainly the number of these interactions goes way down when you leave GP/ER.

I have no problem working with people, I wouldn’t be ok tell someone to take they’re pet somewhere else to be put down because they’re moving and the pet is healthy. I would want to pay for parents who couldn’t afford treatment and I can’t do that for every low income family. It has nothing to not liking people it’s those common situations that I don’t want to deal with.

This is a very fair point. Although, for me personally the thing I don't like about client interactions is having owners that refuse diagnostics/treatments or don't follow instructions, and certainly the number of these interactions goes way down when you leave GP/ER.

Ya that’s one of the reasons is because I would want to pay for any tests that an owner can’t afford or owners that want to put the pet down for reasons other than it’s sick and suffering… abuse etc.

It’s also worth pointing out that becoming a zoo vet is one of the most (if not THE most) competitive profession within the veterinary field. An average of one position opens up in the US each year (some years a few more, some years none). It’s to the point that there is a running joke that the only way to get in is to kill your predecessor.

A solid 1/3+ of my class is interested in working with wildlife, and realistically one, maybe two of them will end up somewhere where wildlife are a large portion of their work. If that is your ultimate goal, it is still possible but it will be very challenging. Zoo residencies basically have their pick of the cream of the crop. It’s perfectly fine for that to be your ultimate goal (its my own ultimate pipe dream), but if you don’t think that you could be happy or at least content working in another area of vet med, I dont think I would recommend vet school. Your chances of becoming a zoo vet are very tiny. If you make it all the way through vet school without the excellent grades, wildlife experience, research/publications, and connections to land a zoo internship then residency, you’re going to be in deep trouble trying to pay back your loans unless you settle for a different area of vet med. Zoo med itself also pays like crap even if you do get in, so paying back loans will be a large effort even if you do succeed.

There are plenty of other opportunities in vet med that don’t necessarily have much dealings with clients. Would you be okay working in a research lab and all that entails? Government work? Public health? Food safety inspection service? Are there any other areas of vet med that you can see yourself in? I’ll reiterate that it’s okay to want to be a zoo vet, but it’s a lot like saying your goal in life is to be a famous singer. It’s partly skill/effort, partly connections and who you know, and some part sheer dumb luck. There are endless droves of people who dream of it, but ultimately very few who actually get there. If you don’t have a solid plan B, then vet school probably isn’t a smart investment.

Last edited:
The head vet of the zoo I did an externship at spends approximately 50% of his time dealing with people that range from the other 3 vets/2 techs to the animal care staff to the board of trustees to the media when **** hits the fan. He shmoozes a lot for donations. The animal care staff can act much like pet owners when it comes to the individuals they care for.

Though she is not on here much, @pinkpuppy9 might have the most extensive experience trying to get into zoo med and may be able to shed light on the journey. 3 people from my school have gained zoo med residencies in the last 5 years that I know of. And we have quite an extensive networking system and wildlife/exotics capabilities. Probably one of the best schools for that aspect. That's 3 people who made it to residency when arguably 400 people started as wanting zoo med in that time.

Not for nothing, one should be okay with going into GP since approximately 60-70% of veterinary students go into GP.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
It’s also worth pointing out that becoming a zoo vet is one of the most (if not THE most) competitive profession within the veterinary field. An average of one position opens up in the US each year (some years a few more, some years none). It’s to the point that there is a running joke that the only way to get in is to kill your predecessor.

A solid 1/3+ of my class is interested in working with wildlife, and realistically one, maybe two of them will end up somewhere where wildlife are a large portion of their work. If that is your ultimate goal, it is still possible but it will be very challenging. Zoo residencies basically have their pick of the cream of the crop. It’s perfectly fine for that to be your ultimate goal (its my own ultimate pipe dream), but if you don’t think that you could be happy or at least content working in another area of vet med, I dont think I would recommend vet school. Your chances of becoming a zoo vet are very tiny. If you make it all the way through vet school without the excellent grades, wildlife experience, research/publications, and connections to land a zoo internship then residency, you’re going to be in deep trouble trying to pay back your loans unless you settle for a different area of vet med. Zoo med itself also pays like crap even if you do get in, so paying back loans will be a large effort even if you do succeed.

There are plenty of other opportunities in vet med that don’t necessarily have much dealings with clients. Would you be okay working in a research lab and all that entails? Government work? Public health? Food safety inspection service? Are there any other areas of vet med that you can see yourself in? I’ll reiterate that it’s okay to want to be a zoo vet, but it’s a lot like saying your goal in life is to be a famous singer. It’s partly skill/effort, partly connections and who you know, and some part sheer dumb luck. There are endless droves of people who dream of it, but ultimately very few who actually get there. If you don’t have a solid plan B, then vet school probably isn’t a smart investment.

Yes I have back ups, quite a bit actually. I’m also interested in therio, aquatics and neurology and maybe if I can deal with the money hungry aholes then equine sports or just large animal. I’m not going to go into it thinking I’m definitely going to do zoo because I might find something while in school I’m more interested in.

The head vet of the zoo I did an externship at spends approximately 50% of his time dealing with people that range from the other 3 vets/2 techs to the animal care staff to the board of trustees to the media when **** hits the fan. He shmoozes a lot for donations. The animal care staff can act much like pet owners when it comes to the individuals they care for.

Though she is not on here much, @pinkpuppy9 might have the most extensive experience trying to get into zoo med and may be able to shed light on the journey. 3 people from my school have gained zoo med residencies in the last 5 years that I know of. And we have quite an extensive networking system and wildlife/exotics capabilities. Probably one of the best schools for that aspect. That's 3 people who made it to residency when arguably 400 people started as wanting zoo med in that time.

Not for nothing, one should be okay with going into GP since approximately 60-70% of veterinary students go into GP.

I definitely want a specialty I know that and it doesn’t have to be zoo med, right now that’s my interest but it might change in vet school. I know for sure I do not want general practice I know to many GP vets that tell me it’s the same thing everyday and a lot of nail trims and anal glands and standard exams, I know I work there, and I’m an adrenaline junkie I need a chaotic environment to keep me motivated and interested. I feel like GP could get boring fast. I don’t want to do emergency because they have a bad reputation at least where I’m from. I’m also really interested in other things too it’s just that zoo is my top which I guess is a lot of peoples.

For the most part I believe this is just about as competitive as zoo med, so I wouldn’t necessarily consider aquatics a back up plan to zoo med unless you are planning on fish-only in a fishery for a state DNR, then it might be slightly more possible with a lot of leg work during school.

Reactions: 5 users
For the most part I believe this is just about as competitive as zoo med, so I wouldn’t necessarily consider aquatics a back up plan to zoo med unless you are planning on fish-only in a fishery for a state DNR, then it might be slightly more possible with a lot of leg work during school.

The only reason it’s on my list is because I volunteer in an aquarium and love the animals, it’s been my dream since I was a kid to work with marine wildlife, I’m not a quitter I understand the difficulties of it all but I will do whatever I can (legally and ethically speaking) to do what I want to do. I also know that it may not happen, but I’d rather go down fighting than just giving up before I even begin. I’ve learned that this week. I just don’t want to give up on myself.

The only reason it’s on my list is because I volunteer in an aquarium and love the animals, it’s been my dream since I was a kid to work with marine wildlife, I’m not a quitter I understand the difficulties of it all but I will do whatever I can (legally and ethically speaking) to do what I want to do. I also know that it may not happen, but I’d rather go down fighting than just giving up before I even begin. I’ve learned that this week. I just don’t want to give up on myself.
I was just saying that if zoo med doesn’t work out because you aren’t able to gain a residency, that aquatic animal medicine is not going to be ANY easier to get into and it’s going to be just as competitive with getting a residency.

Reactions: 4 users
You may want to try and find vets in regulatory positions and more behind-the-scenes specialities like radiology and pathology and learn what those positions entail to see if those routes might interest you.

That’s not to say those positions are easy to get into. With a lot of vets wanting to leave GP due to *gestures at every discussion about the problems with the profession*, there’s still quite a bit of competition for non-practice positions. Radiology and pathology I think have less of a networking/luck of getting one of few spots challenge to them (this is just my uneducated impression), more of an academic/sheer grit challenge - the residency and boards for pathology are pretty brutal from what I hear. Although the residencies are less competitive than zoo residencies and I’m not entirely sure how competitive, getting into one is still not guaranteed. You might have to spend some years in general practice before, and honestly specialists I’ve talked to generally say they would recommend getting some general practice experience before specializing so that you have a better understanding of what your referring vets are seeing and how to communicate with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I know for sure I do not want general practice I know to many GP vets that tell me it’s the same thing everyday and a lot of nail trims and anal glands and standard exams
I will reiterate that GP or another non-specially position like government is something you should be prepared for. I'm not saying it to be a Debby downer or to question your dedication. It's simply the reality of the situation.

According to VIRMP, the match rate for internship was 65% and for residency is 38%. This is partly due to a high number of applicants, but also because facilities won't simply take someone to fill a spot. Only 81% of match positions were filled.
I don’t want to do emergency because they have a bad reputation at least where I’m from
Don't knock something before you try it! I'm transitioning from GP/ER to fully ER by the beginning of next year after expecting to love GP and now dreading my GP days. I would already have done so if I didn't need maternity leave coming up. ER is run differently everywhere. There's definitely places in my area I would not work based on what I've heard. But I'm excited for the place I'm going to try to get into.

Overall, all of the above you've gotten is coming from people who have been where you want to go, or know people who have done it (and either failed or succeeded). While we will be supportive and try to give the best advice we can with the info given, we're a bunch of realists too. The worst thing that happened to the generation of millennials and later is the concept of "always follow your dreams whatever the cost". Forgets the healthy balance of realistic expectations.

Reactions: 8 users
I know to many GP vets that tell me it’s the same thing everyday
So far my week has had ferrets, cat leg amputation, cat spay abort, managing a diabetic patient with cushing’s, a cat with kcs that keeps getting corneal ulcers, a patient with hyperaldosteronism, half a dozen wounds, and I’m about to see a probably broken leg. So no, not the same thing every day. If you specialize, then you might be seeing the same thing every day: all of the neuro cases, all of the eyeballs, all of the pathology slides to read, etc.

Reactions: 12 users
It also depends on what type of clinic you're in. My GP clinic has a lot of variety in managing long term semi complicated cases (why I'm going ER exclusive; I don't want to manage diabetes or CKD any more). There is currently a discussion on doing a PU in a dog next week

Reactions: 4 users
Can confirm diagnostic pathology is very much the same day in and day out. There’s some fun or weird things thrown in for good measure but 80% of what I do it the same every day. But boring cases pay the same as hard ones so I like the predictability.

I still think a post in WAMC thread would be very helpful for you @jmiam2. I’m curious about your vet experiences thus far (not animal, but vet) and what has drawn you to this field. Like others have said, you’ve got to be OK with GP work in theory because while the field of vet med as a whole is increasingly specialty-focused, GP is about the only true “fall back” there is.

My personal story includes not matching to my specialty of choice and putting in five years of GP work. I found it to be a lot more interesting and fulfilling than I had originally expected (and that was with a couple thousand SAGP clinic hours by the time of application) but I am infinitely happier now that I found my way back to my original intended specialty.

A love for animals is essential in this field, absolutely. But it is nowhere near enough to sustain yourself for the long haul, no matter what specialty you enter. You need to derive satisfaction from other aspects of your job, whether it’s forming special relationships with clients and patients, contributing through specific research, interacting with and educating the public, etc. Those of us in this profession face enormous hurdles when it comes to compassion fatigue, mental health and work-life balance; do not sign yourself up for this ride out of sheer stubbornness to succeed when you were told you could not because it will absolutely backfire in the end.