Volunteering Question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedProspect1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After doing a search and not finding the answers I was looking for I decided to just create a thread.

I am attending college out-of-state starting in the fall. I have already gained some clinical volunteering in the ICU of a local hospital in my home state. When I go off to college in August, I will begin volunteering at a new hospital throughout the school year, and then next summer will return to my local hospital in my home state. Would this be considered long-term commitment even though I am volunteering at two different hospitals over the course of my undergrad years? Also would it be submitted as one clinical volunteering activity on AMCAS from 2009-2012 regardless of how many hospitals the hours were done at? Any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

After doing a search and not finding the answers I was looking for I decided to just create a thread.

I am attending college out-of-state starting in the fall. I have already gained some clinical volunteering in the ICU of a local hospital in my home state. When I go off to college in August, I will begin volunteering at a new hospital throughout the school year, and then next summer will return to my local hospital in my home state. Would this be considered long-term commitment even though I am volunteering at two different hospitals over the course of my undergrad years? Also would it be submitted as one clinical volunteering activity on AMCAS from 2009-2012 regardless of how many hospitals the hours were done at? Any help is appreciated!

No they both will be considered "long-term" since you you stay with one during the school year and the other in the summer. I'm not really sure about the AMCAS question but I'm sure someone has an answer

Thanks! The AMCAS question isn't really important for me right now as I don't have to worry about it for a few years.

On AMCAS you will list each facility separately. And, yes, if you are talking about doing any one over the course of "years", they would be considered long term commitment.