Volunteering Questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedeafkid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my mom called my local vet while I was at school(totally didn't even know she was going too!)And they are working out a volunteering thing for me this summer. Anyways my questions are basically about what goes down?

I'm only 15 so she won't expect me to really know anything right?

Also I was wondering if they let volunteers scrub in? Like even just to watch? Or do I have to wait till I'm 16 cause of liability issues?

I was very surprised because this is the very first vet I've gone to and people were saying I'd probably go to like 10.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you got lucky, or maybe your mom is a smooth talker. :) Either way, this is a great opportunity! No telling how little or how much they'll let you do. I bet they'll let you watch some surgeries, but I dunno about scrubbing in. Just be patient and pay attention, and you'll get to do more as time goes on (probably).

I'm sure she doesn't expect you to know a lot. Ask questions while you're there!

Good luck!

You're so lucky!! it's great you can get your foot in the door so early. Make sure to not burn any bridges over the next 8 years because you may be going back to her for an eLOR!!

You won't be expected to know anything :D

Also, all vets have different styles and their own "rules/guidelines" so I would just go with the flow. Be consistent with the days and times you come in so she knows you are committed. Once she sees this, she will probably let you do more things. Since you are young, it may be limited right now...it just depends on the vet.

Also, i think we can all say that we've picked up a lot of poop to get to where we are today haha dont be surprised if she asks you to help clean cages or walk dogs. It's worth it though!

and yes, some vets I know will let young people watch surgeries. Like i said before, it just depends on the vet. But since you are starting so young, if you stay committed to shadowing her then definitely in a couple of years she will let you watch all of the surgeries! :D and that is still more than what some people see by the time they graduate hs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about expectations, because I highly doubt the vet would expect anything out of you other than respect and good behavior. Just be the adorably passionate 15 year old that you are, and as long as you don't get in anyone's way, I'm sure the vet will L-O-V-E having you around. Everyone loves feeling like a mentor/hero. And there's nothing better than inspiring the next generation of future vets! Back when I was a teen (which was when I probably still looked like a 12 year old), the vets loved to show off the coolest procedures/necropsies to me.

For now, keep your hands to yourself and don't jump in to do anything unless you're asked to help. You don't want the vet to feel like he/she is babysitting you. But be enthusiastic and ask lots and lots of questions! Be polite and thankful and engaging, and you're good to go!

Got it! I really want to see a surgery for some reason haha probably because of Greys anatom(which I know actual surgery is totally different but still!).

Got it! I really want to see a surgery for some reason haha probably because of Greys anatom(which I know actual surgery is totally different but still!).

Heads up: search and read the threads about surgery, fainting, etc. I know, you probably say that watching it on tv and in movies you are fine. But trust me, seeing it in person is different. Especially if they use laser surgery and you smell burning flesh. It doesnt mean you're not cut out for vet med, but sometimes you can't control what your body thinks vs. your mind. I love watching surgery, and my brain says it likes it too lol, but my body overreacts and there is no controling it. #1 tip, make sure you eat before you watch!!

Good luck! Not sure if anyone has told you this yet, but it's worth repeating. If you do get to watch surgeries, stay away from anything and everything that's blue!

Good luck! Not sure if anyone has told you this yet, but it's worth repeating. If you do get to watch surgeries, stay away from anything and everything that's blue!

Huh?

Are you talking about staying away from stuff that's sterile? The drapes and gowns I have seen are teal.

ooo yes i remember when i saw my first spay. the doc told me I might not be able to take it right away or something to that effect. Haha and my ignorant self was like ohh don't worry I've been an EMT for three years and seen some gross stuff/serious trauma I'm sure I can take it.
Ummm yeah i had to go outside and sit down after a few minutes.

Huh?

Are you talking about staying away from stuff that's sterile? The drapes and gowns I have seen are teal.

Yep! Teal/blue: same thing :) Our stuff is definitely blue, but there may be some variations on the same theme. Basically if it's in the spectrum from green to purple, don't touch!

... I feel like a noob... Why? What's so bad about it lol?

It's sterile. You touch, you contaminate. That's all - don't touch the drapes, the pack, or really, anything you aren't told to (in surgery).

haha, when i was a wee lil one watching spay/neuter, the vet would ask me to retrieve things like new surgical tools/scalpel blades. i was taught how to open them by peeling the packaging so that the instrument would drop onto the sterile tray without me contaminating it. I would concentrate very hard on doing that without busting the packaging in such a way as to fling the instrument/blade on the floor. Like, so very hard... that i wouldn't notice my arms touching the sterile tray itself :eek:. Part of the prob was that the spay and neuter vet was like 7 feet tall so he had his tray up super high, and I was under 5 feet at the time...

As for why green surgical drapes are popular, I was told that it was because surgeons stare so much at red things all day that it leads to desensitization of the brain to red, which leads to illusions of green when the surgeon quickly flips her/his vision to something white. The green drape counteracts that.

As for why green surgical drapes are popular, I was told that it was because surgeons stare so much at red things all day that it leads to desensitization of the brain to red, which leads to illusions of green when the surgeon quickly flips her/his vision to something white. The green drape counteracts that.

That's the most interesting thing I've heard all day.