EvolutionaryRevolutionary

2+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2014
New York
Status
Pre-Medical
I got into a great volunteer program at my local hospital but when I asked about shadowing they told me only " Dr.s shadow Dr.s" is that true?

allantois

5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2013
Status
Other Health Professions Student
You are not asking us about your hospital? You ask about shadowing the doctor you want to shadow; it is unlikely the hospital will be happy with you shadowing while on a volunteering shift.

gothicfoxes

MD & MPH goals
Jun 17, 2015
Bodymore Murdaland
Status
If you're scheduled to be working/volunteering at the hospital, you should be doing that. Shadowing is just following a doctor around and not really doing anything, so I can see how a scheduler/manager wouldn't like you doing this. If you're looking for shadowing opportunities, try inquiring at a teaching hospital.

OP

2+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2014
New York
Status
Pre-Medical
It is a teaching hospital. That is the thing. They told us off the bat!

Vespasian

"Vae, puto deus fio!"
Apr 4, 2014
The South...
Status
Try to build a rapport with some of the physicians you see when volunteering. You could parlay that into some shadowing opportunities. The hospital I volunteer in allows a single shadowing shift for volunteers so I'm having to do some legwork.

Being super-friendly with the nurses and techs can be beneficial too. They can introduce you to physicians and recommend doctors who would be receptive to shadowing. Heck, just being super-friendly, hardworking and humble all the time has its benefits. I've been fortunate enough to be allowed stand in on a variety of procedures performed by doctors/NPs/PAs ; intubations, trauma intake, cardiac arrest. I've even helped to clean and suture quite a few wounds too. Most of the other volunteers spend their entire shift standing around, stocking carts and blanket warmers.

OP

2+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2014
New York
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you so much!

nwts

2+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
As others have said, ask the physicians themselves instead of the hospital, and try to schedule your shadowing for times when you are not supposed to be volunteering. The hospital probably won't be a huge fan of you shadowing instead of volunteering during hours you are supposed to be volunteering, but they probably won't care if you come in at some other time and shadow, as long as the physician agrees to let you shadow him/her.

OP

2+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2014
New York
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you. I am thinking about maybe trying to help with Americorps. Someone was telling me it would be easier to shadow from them. I don't know how true it is.