Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkishking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I start ASAP to start volunteering clinically? Or does it matter if I wait a couple of weeks?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you an incoming freshman?
I've been in a school since a week as a freshman in college. Before the school, I volunteered around 30-40 hours in the ICU. This was over the summer

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you an incoming freshman?

I want to go to Turkey over the summer, but if i go I feel as if my priorities will be set back. If I go to Turkey, should I volunteer with the Red Cross and help out the syrian refugees? I'm not sure if that would help..

I've been in a school since a week as a freshman in college. Before the school, I volunteered around 30-40 hours in the ICU
Take enough time at your own discretion to figure out how to deal with the new environment. If that takes a few weeks or even a whole semester, fine. Don't sacrifice academics for volunteering. Once you feel you are doing OK in school, tack on a volunteer activity or two.

It doesn't entirely matter if you wait a few weeks and volunteering is a long term endeavor.

Reactions: 1 user
GPA >>>>>> an extra 50 hours of volunteering.

All budding pre-meds are eager to start working on a complete application, but you really have to focus on your grades and make sure that part is rock solid before you start worrying about everything else. Do a bit of volunteering on the weekend if you have time, but I don't see any point in tallying your volunteer/clinical hours before your first semester is over. Your GPA is much more likely to sink you, so put all your effort into that until you've at least experienced one set of finals.

Reactions: 1 user
I want to go to Turkey over the summer, but if i go I feel as if my priorities will be set back. If I go to Turkey, should I volunteer with the Red Cross and help out the syrian refugees? I'm not sure if that would help..
IDK, that's entirely up to you and your resources.

GPA >>>>>> an extra 50 hours of volunteering.

All budding pre-meds are eager to start working on a complete application, but you really have to focus on your grades and make sure that part is rock solid before you start worrying about everything else. Do a bit of volunteering on the weekend if you have time, but I don't see any point in tallying your volunteer/clinical hours before your first semester is over. Your GPA is much more likely to sink you, so put all your effort into that until you've at least experienced one set of finals.

True. Thank you. Do you think volunteering with the red cross in my country would be a good idea?

Do what makes you happy. I didn't start any type of clinical volunteering until my junior year of college, and thus far, I've managed to do just fine for myself. Remember, you're a person who happens to be pre-med. You don't have to eat, sleep, breath medicine.

Do what makes you happy. I didn't start any type of clinical volunteering until my junior year of college, and thus far, I've managed to do just fine for myself. Remember, you're a person who happens to be pre-med. You don't have to eat, sleep, breath medicine.

Well, I want to do something involved with medicine while going to see my family.

Well, I want to do something involved with medicine while going to see my family.
Awesome! Seems like a good way to integrate two things that you're interested in. Just don't worry about taking one summer off to see your family "setting back your priorities." I think it's a wonderful thing to do, even if you are unable to secure a spot volunteering with the Red Cross while you are there.

No potential for it to be a negative, go right ahead. I think adcoms will also want to see you contribute to your community here though, and get clinical experience within the US medical system.

No potential for it to be a negative, go right ahead. I think adcoms will also want to see you contribute to your community here though, and get clinical experience within the US medical system.
That is true. I want to do something while abroad. My family is near Syria, and there are many refugees. But I will also do many things here too, in my community.

Start volunteering whenever you are ready. I didn't start volunteering in a hospital until my junior year in college.

Depends;
Don't volunteer just to volunteer. However if you get into a decent spot like I did, I'd do a long-term commitment with em'.
I started volunteering a couple weeks out of HS because I got a fantastic position. Plan to commit for as long as possible.

You should start searching though! Some hospitals have a waiting list for volunteering.

I started volunteering as a frosh (sophomore now) and accumulated 300 meaningful hours with four different organizations because SDN made me paranoid. Nature Conservancy, Blind Center, hospital, and a women's shelter.

Now I'm competing in jitz and that's my focus so I am volunteering less and having more fun.