volunteering!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

Tatodotcom

Hi all! I just finished up my freshman year of pre-pharmacy at Georgia Southern and pulled a 4.0(very excited about that)! This week I'm about to start working at a local pharmacy. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips or any pointers about what to expect, anything I should know so I don't look completly clueless, information, etc.

Thanks in advance!
T

Members don't see this ad.

sorry forgot to leave out the details...it's a local community pharmacy. Anything I should know going into that would give me any advantage. Research the most common drugs just to know what I'm dealing with, etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, you might feel overwhelmed at first with everything being so new to you, but you'll get comfortable fairly quickly. Don't count on mastering the computer system in the first few weeks, some of them can be a real pain to learn. I would focus on observing the techs for the first few weeks and try to get a really good feel for the workflow. You'll see about a bazillion drug names, try to become familiar with most of the common ones. One last thing, don't be afraid to ASK if you don't know. When we have new people, nothing is worse than someone who just does something when they don't know what to do and refuse to ask for help.

Hey, congratulations. I just finished up my freshman year at Georgia Southern also.

Are you working at a pharmacy in Statesboro? I'm thinking about trying out for a job or volunteering as a tech when I go back this Fall.

ll the help i can get

Last edited by a moderator:
don't worry about that stuffs. they will train you for about two days. you will get use to it. the bottom line is that you do it for free and most of the people in there are technicians anyway. just try to suck up to the pharmacists so they will write you a good recommendation letter.

actually i just found out that I'm getting paid..wow this is keeps getting better and better

actually i just found out that I'm getting paid..wow this is keeps getting better and better

what the heck? you are lucky one. It's tough to get a tech job right now because they require experience. any way, congrats on that.
Just be yourself and be professional in front of the pharmacists because they will write you a good recommendation letter if they like you. Espcially since you get paid, they will train you even harder and longer.

Don't expect to get a lot of training, especially if you are working at a busy pharmacy. I got a pharmacy tech job with no experience at Hy-Vee (it's all about who you know!;)) and they tell me "Oh, you can just come in tomorrow around 9." There was no formal training. At. All. They started off with me just counting pills and then randomly they would jsut say, "Oh, can you get the drive thru? Can you get the phone for me? Go check those people out at the register." Uh...ok....how exactly do I work this register?

So I don't mean to scare you as we are extremely busy and your place of work may have more time to properly train you. But ask about what kinds fo things they will be wanting you to do from day to day and ask how to do them upfront, that way you aren't stuck and have absolutely no idea what to do. Because my first day suckkkeedddd. But it quickly got better.

I think one thing that helped me (and made the pharmacists happy) was learning how to simply PRONOUNCE the drugs. Whenever you encounter a drug that you don't know how to pronounce, either ask someone or look it up online when you get home. That way when a customer says, "What drugs are due for a refill?" You won't be like "uh....amoxi...something...." Haha!

Don't expect to get a lot of training, especially if you are working at a busy pharmacy. I got a pharmacy tech job with no experience at Hy-Vee (it's all about who you know!;)) and they tell me "Oh, you can just come in tomorrow around 9." There was no formal training. At. All. They started off with me just counting pills and then randomly they would jsut say, "Oh, can you get the drive thru? Can you get the phone for me? Go check those people out at the register." Uh...ok....how exactly do I work this register?

So I don't mean to scare you as we are extremely busy and your place of work may have more time to properly train you. But ask about what kinds fo things they will be wanting you to do from day to day and ask how to do them upfront, that way you aren't stuck and have absolutely no idea what to do. Because my first day suckkkeedddd. But it quickly got better.

I think one thing that helped me (and made the pharmacists happy) was learning how to simply PRONOUNCE the drugs. Whenever you encounter a drug that you don't know how to pronounce, either ask someone or look it up online when you get home. That way when a customer says, "What drugs are due for a refill?" You won't be like "uh....amoxi...something...." Haha!

No training? wow. first day must be suck? I worked at a busy pharmacy too (hospital instead). people in and out all day. Anyway, just stand behind or next to the pharm tech and see how they do things and copy them. they probably understand how you feel, because they been there once before.

hey pc, it's actually a pharmacy up here in sandy springs...just looking to work this summer to get some experience. I looked around at pharmacys when i was down in statesboro with no luck. I had a few connections up here and that is how i landed this job. I got very lucky to get this job. If i keep my grades up then the only thing i'll have to deal with is the pcat. what classes did you take? I may have been in some of your classes. wow it really is a small world.
Thanks for the advice Wildcat! keep it coming guys i need all the help i can get
1st semester:
chem 1145
math 1141
econ 2105
gsu 1210
engl 1101

2nd semester:
chem 1146
bio 2108
hist 2110
psyc 1101
engl 1102

We probably did have a class or two together.

Learn the basics (workflow, filling, typing) before you even try to begin to understand insurance. You will find that insurance issues are by far the most difficult to deal with. If you are really interested in staying ahead I would definitely memorize the 200 most common drugs and basic sig codes.

http://www.flashcardexchange.com/flashcards/list/489194