1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Volunteering

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by PetVet, Dec 11, 2008.

1. PetVet

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    How do you go about volunteering at a veterinary office?
    Do you just go in and ask, or call them?
    I don't have as much experience with animals as most of you probably do.
    I have 3 dogs and a cat. I used to work at our local ASPCA (for 5 or 6 months). I don't have some kind of license or any other kind of experience with animals, so I'm afraid they will just turn me down.
    What exactly do you do when you volunteer?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Angelo84

Angelo84 Tufts Class of 2011
    10+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I would write up a resume and include any experience you have with either animals or customer service. I would also write up a cover letter basiscally saying what you are interested in doing--voluntering once a week etc and what your plans are (tech school, vet school, whatever)Your experience at the shelter will help. I would then go and hand deliver that little packet to the human resource person at the practices or the chief of staff. Some practices don't let people volunteer but you could still see if they are hiring.

Good luck!

4. david594

david594 The-OSU CVM c/o 2013
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I went door to door asking if clinics would take volunteers. Definitely have a resume with you that you could leave there for them and a cover letter saying what your intentions are.(I only realized I needed one after one clinic asked me for it). You should be able to find something.

I had zero experience before I started. No cats or dogs at home either.

5. Groominator

2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    I have just started volunteering again (I'll be applying in a year and a half so i have time to get some good hours). This is the third time I'm doing this. Each time i walked into a clinic and asked if they needed a volunteer. Each time the doc said sure. i got lucky i guess (or they did because they had free help) :p Actually this time I'll be getting a gig as an assistant, so i'll actually make some money out of it. The guy is having me volunteer for a few days until i get how everything works (and its been years since i was in vet clinic last but it seems that he runs things exactly the same way as the previous vets i was with), and then I'll be officially employed.

I didn't have a resume any of the times that i came in. Two out of three times i was actually there as a client with my cat and happened to ask. Although this last time the vet did ask me to bring one, but it was after he agreed to have me around.

6. Skillet9886

Skillet9886 UFCVM c/o 2013!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Yeah, definitely make a resume (you'll be glad you did later anyway) and bring that along with you. Actually, I would suggest printing out numerous copies and just taking an afternoon to go around to all the vet clinics in the area. In the past, I've asked to speak with an office manager or someone in a similar position, since the receptionists rarely know what to tell you. Definitely introduce yourself, definitely get the person's name and/or business card. I would suggest dressing somewhat professionally. Not as all out as for an interview, but a nice-ish top and non-jeans pants. First impressions really do matter. Shake his/her hand, tell them what you're about and what you want to do, and ask if they have any available volunteer positions. Don't be surprised if you have to start in the kennel...a vast majority of pre-vet kids (at least the ones I know) earned their way up from walking dogs and cleaning cages. I feel like it's a rite of passage. But yeah, once you get your foot in the door, you're on track to get a paid position. Just make sure you're willing to "go the extra mile" and do whatever they ask you to. Expect a lot of cleaning things.

Also, as a general piece of advice, once you do start volunteering and/or working, keep updating your resume with dates and hours. It will make your life a lot easier later.