Quantcast

Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KentUT

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeat thread, but I am just curious. I am starting to look for volunteer opportunities, and I am wondering what types of volunteering have been the most enjoyable for other pre dents. Are there any service experiences that you have enjoyed more then others? Thanks in advance for any replies.

ncsuredhead

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeat thread, but I am just curious. I am starting to look for volunteer opportunities, and I am wondering what types of volunteering have been the most enjoyable for other pre dents. Are there any service experiences that you have enjoyed more then others? Thanks in advance for any replies.

You can look to see if your state has free dental clinics that you can volunteer at. North Carolina has Missions of Mercy clinics where pre-dents can get some hands-on experience with assisting, triage, sterilization, etc. What I think is the best part is getting to talk to the patients.

bernas

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
You can look to see if your state has free dental clinics that you can volunteer at. North Carolina has Missions of Mercy clinics where pre-dents can get some hands-on experience with assisting, triage, sterilization, etc. What I think is the best part is getting to talk to the patients.

Hi, does someone know something about the details of this free dental assistant volunteering program in North Carolina?
Can a foreign trained dentist join this program and than work as a dental assistant in clinics?

Last edited:

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Keep in mind volunteering does not have to be dental related. I tutored students from underserved high schools and helped them get into college - it was really rewarding since they were among the first in their families to go to college, and they had little to no guidance counselor resources at their school. It felt like I made an impact.

Reactions: 1 user

digzthis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
ramusa.org is great if you can find one close to you or are willing to travel, they have a documentary called "remote area medical" on netflix as well

dentalabscessed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I taught elementary science in underserved communities using fun science experiments. These were 3rd graders who didn't have science classes available at their schools (ugh public school budget cuts), so it was really rewarding to see them get excited about STEM and approach science with confidence once they got to 4th grade. We leave a "question box" in the classrooms so kids can ask anything they want about life, and sometimes we get little thank you notes or "I want to be a scientist when I grow up" comments here and there :) (and the usual "how are babies made?"). Do whatever you enjoy, it doesn't have to be dental-related. As long as you find joy in impacting lives and giving help to those who need it, that already speaks to your character.

Stanelz

RDA-->DMD
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have volunteered for so many organizations I cant even name them at the top of my head but the most eye opening one of all was when I worked for a hospice organization right after I graduated college. I would just go to hospice patients' home's and just talk to them.

You don't understand how precious life is until you make friends with someone and then they die with a month or two. Rinse and repeat like 10 times....It was depressing but extremely life changing.

What I learned more than anything: Don't chase money, chase relationships

Reactions: 1 user

Likkriue

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I volunteered at a hospital. So you could try that.