volunteering

Started by wons
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wons

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
is it smart to volunteer at like 2-3 different places? or would it help more? i live in seattle and i'm looking to volunteer for swedish medical center, group health, evergreen hospital, and/or public health reserve corps. any recommendations or suggestions? anyone have any experiences with any of these associations? thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know if volunteering or EC's are the better road? I'm trying to get into Tri-Beta (Biology honor's society) end of my sophomore year, plus the Environmental Awareness Club next semester, but for now I've overloaded my time with volunteering. I've got 4 positions. I'm on the Red Cross DAT, volunteering (not medically) at a free clinic, working with Habitat For Humanity, working with a retirement home, plus I'm shadowing a family practitioner. But I've got no EC's at the time.

Anyone got any word of advice as to a balance of EC's and volunteer work?
 
Anyone know if volunteering or EC's are the better road? I'm trying to get into Tri-Beta (Biology honor's society) end of my sophomore year, plus the Environmental Awareness Club next semester, but for now I've overloaded my time with volunteering. I've got 4 positions. I'm on the Red Cross DAT, volunteering (not medically) at a free clinic, working with Habitat For Humanity, working with a retirement home, plus I'm shadowing a family practitioner. But I've got no EC's at the time.

Anyone got any word of advice as to a balance of EC's and volunteer work?
Um, all of those you listed ARE EC's.... Anything other than coursework, tests, etc. goes in the EC section of the application, including paid employment, volunteering, etc.
 
Um, all of those you listed ARE EC's.... Anything other than coursework, tests, etc. goes in the EC section of the application, including paid employment, volunteering, etc.

I have always had the notion that EC's were school-affiliated. Thanks for clearing up the misconception.
 
It's fine, but make sure you are doing different things at different places. I had two clinical gigs, and they were real different (big hospital vs. free clinic). When volunteering multiple places, it is important that YOU are getting something out of it. It's not a good thing to do solely to pad your app.

You could also drop one to do some non-clinical volunteering. These are good to explore any other interests you have, and they look just fine on apps.