Vote for President

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vote for President

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 150 52.1%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 138 47.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of me is also cautiously optimistic, along the same lines. Only time will tell.

Humans tend to have very short memories, and even smaller resilience to evil. Do most of us even remember our lives before 9/11, before the surveillance state? People are naive and accept evil in their lives if there is some pretext reason for it, especially if that "reason" speaks to their fears. We are still losing freedoms, just so slowly and stealthily that most people don't even notice it anymore. The aberration, the erosion of our liberties, has become the new normal. So, as I said, I am very cautiously optimistic; people are like sheep, even very decent people, and tend to go with the flow, not against it.

For now, it seems that the president-elect cannot tolerate even the most peaceful and civilized plea for change and unity:

Hamilton’s cast reminded Pence that inclusivity is an American value. Trump wants an apology.

P.S. I must admit that the way Brandon Dixon read that message didn't seem the most respectful to me: http://www.vox.com/culture/2016/11/19/13683864/mike-pence-hamilton-booed-clip
I'm sure you saw that Trump felt the need to get involved and demand an apology on twitter.

He's a child. Wait'll North Korea, Iran, or some terrorist group starts saber rattling. We can expect some "I'm rubber, your glue..." type of military threats that lead us down a bad road.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Really? You think Trump Enterprises isn't going to make hundreds of millions/billion off his Presidency? Trump is the big leagues in terms of using his position and influence to make sure his kids reap the profits from his office; compared to Clinton who would have made perhaps 20-30 million off her presidency.

All of these politicians take care of their family and friends; it's how the game works.

That $25 million legal settlement is peanuts.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/25-million-settlement-reached-trump-university-lawsuit-n686026

Oh no totally agree, I was being sarcastic... Trump is a snake and we gave him all the access and power to empower his motives.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure you saw that Trump felt the need to get involved and demand an apology on twitter.

He's a child. Wait'll North Korea, Iran, or some terrorist group starts saber rattling. We can expect some "I'm rubber, your glue..." type of military threats that lead us down a bad road.

He's the president now and if you thought he felt he was entitled before, just wait and see what happens. This guy will try to use his "force" any chance he gets and you're right we are in for a bad trip.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trump's presidency will be a true test of our First Amendment. He is already not allowing a press pool to follow him around as the transition of power takes place. We need a free press more than ever now. Buy a subscription to a newspaper to empower and show confidence in our press. Investigative journalism costs money. It is a money loser for most newspapers. Click bait is where the money is at. We need our press to investigate the hell out of this guy.

Trump's presidency will be a true test of our First Amendment. He is already not allowing a press pool to follow him around as the transition of power takes place. We need a free press more than ever now. Buy a subscription to a newspaper to empower and show confidence in our press. Investigative journalism costs money. It is a money loser for most newspapers. Click bait is where the money is at. We need our press to investigate the hell out of this guy.

That doesn't infringe on the first amendment. The press pool doesn't have full rights to access with the White House without a permit.

Ergo, Trump can just throw them out if he finds them dishonest. They can still report on the news, just can't ask questions at the White House while he is President.

It appears we may see some backlash to words us in the international arena. President elect Trump has promised to pull the U.S. out of many international agreements concerning climate change. One be has listed is the Paris accord, the Chinese have already stated their willingness to abide by these accords and stated their belief in climate change. Several nations have expressed an idea to charge a carbon tax on U.S. goods and services and are looking to China to leads.
This is an example of the international cost of voter ignorance. The U.S. ceding international leadership to China!

Who cares, climate change is basically a fraud anyway.

That doesn't infringe on the first amendment. The press pool doesn't have full rights to access with the White House without a permit.

Ergo, Trump can just throw them out if he finds them dishonest. They can still report on the news, just can't ask questions at the White House while he is President.

What does violate the first amendment is suing the media if they publish something you do not like, which Trump has threatened to do.

Who cares, climate change is basically a fraud anyway.

Now I know you are trolling.

What does violate the first amendment is suing the media if they publish something you do not like, which Trump has threatened to do.

Suing for defamation is fully allowed under free speech laws. For instance, when rolling stone published a fake rape story that defamed many people, they were successfully sued due to this falsehood.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...f407fa-a1e8-11e6-a44d-cc2898cfab06_story.html

If you publish openly false information that hurts someone's character, that is considered defamation and can be libelous.

Yes climate change is a hoax.

You're right - the threat doesn't, but if he actually doesn't it, then that is a problem.

And let's face it, Trump is no stranger to suing people.

As he should if he can prove defamation like Rolling Stones with false rape stories.

The only people ok with that would be those posting from a Moscow suburb.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah - nice cherry picking.

That guy, Ivan Giaever, PhD, is a Nobel laureate. His views also disagree with the vast majority of climate scientists. He currently works for the Heartland Institute. This place receives funding from sources such as the Koch brothers and the oil/gas industry. They also have a history of supporting big tobacco in refuting claims that cigarettes are bad for you.

Do you also think cigarettes are safe?

Could the theory of global warming be wrong? Sure, any theory can. But, I'll take the majority opinion of experts over you or the Republican Party. Also, calling it a hoax implies malicious intent, which there is certainly no evidence of.

That video is from a speech delivered by a Nobel laureate in physics. While impressive, it hardly makes him an expert on the climate. Would you want a Nobel laureate in physics treating your cancer simply because he's "smart?"

Please think critically.

That video is from a speech delivered by a Nobel laureate in physics. While impressive, it hardly makes him an expert on the climate. Would you want a Nobel laureate in physics treating your cancer simply because he's "smart?"

Please think critically.

Ok let me link others then:

How about these guys?

That guy, Ivan Giaever, PhD, is a Nobel laureate. His views also disagree with the vast majority of climate scientists. He currently works for the Heartland Institute. This place receives funding from sources such as the Koch brothers and the oil/gas industry. They also have a history of supporting big tobacco in refuting claims that cigarettes are bad for you.

Could the theory of global warming be wrong? Sure, any theory can. But, I'll take the majority opinion of experts over you or the Republican Party. Also, calling it a hoax implies malicious intent, which there is certainly no evidence of.

Guess he is owned by big oil too huh?

Some people deny the theory of evolution and think that a magic man in the sky waved his wand and humans appeared on earth 6000 years ago. You can link 10 million YouTube videos denying the theory of evolution, but it won't change my mind. I prefer empirical fact, not the paid opinion of a pundit. Climate change is the same thing. To deny the fact that humans have altered the environment in ways we probably don't fully understand is absurd to me.

Reactions: 2 users
Some people deny the theory of evolution and think that a magic man in the sky waved his wand and humans appeared on earth 6000 years ago. You can link 10 million YouTube videos denying the theory of evolution, but it won't change my mind. I prefer empirical fact, not the paid opinion of a pundit. Climate change is the same thing. To deny the fact that humans have altered the environment in ways we probably don't fully understand is absurd to me.

Cool story bro but there are MANY scientists that dispute this fraud that is a scam pushed by Al Gore for his own financial benefit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Spencer_(scientist) This guy is just one of the top meteorologists in the country disputing this FRAUD. Also there is no "consensus" on this topic either.

Maybe you will learn something.

Dont know enough about that case but I don't just take your word for it

Don't take my word for it. It's easy enough to find, but Russia Today probably didn't report on it.

Not a climate scientist. Not even a scientist. John Coleman is a TV meteorologist/weatherman. Weather is not climate. I trust his opinion as much as I trust yours or the Republicans in Congress.

Ian Plimer - At least he had legit credentials. However, he is still in the minority. Also, others refute his conclusions when looking at the same data.

Don't take my word for it. It's easy enough to find, but Russia Today probably didn't report on it.

Not a climate scientist. Not even a scientist. John Coleman is a TV meteorologist/weatherman. Weather is not climate. I trust his opinion as much as I trust yours or the Republicans in Congress.

Ian Plimer - At least he had legit credentials. However, he is still in the minority. Also, others refute his conclusions when looking at the same data.

Actually, he's not in the "minority". Here is a top NASA guy who breaks down this scam and the phony 97% consensus.

Also, when you make a claim that Trump is just randomly suing media for being "negative" for no reason, the onus is upon you to prove this assertion.

Cool story bro but there are MANY scientists that dispute this fraud that is a scam pushed by Al Gore for his own financial benefit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Spencer_(scientist) This guy is just one of the top meteorologists in the country disputing this FRAUD. Also there is no "consensus" on this topic either.

You do know that meteorology and climate science are not the same, right?

Can you at least give me the courtesy of using a sweet meme when you call me bro?

Actually, he's not in the "minority". Here is a top NASA guy who breaks down this scam and the phony 97% consensus.

Quoting both since you posted the same video twice.

Here is a nice article that refutes climate change skeptics, Roy Spencer chief among them.

"This 'consensus gap' is in large part due the media giving disproportionate coverage to climate contrarians. In our paper, we sought to evaluate whether that disproportionate media coverage was justified by examining how well contrarian hypotheses have withstood scientific scrutiny and the test of time. The short answer is, not well."

https://www.theguardian.com/environ.../11/climate-change-research-quality-imbalance

My buddy once trolled me for like a year denying the moon landing. It drive me f@cking insane until he admitted it when we were drunk... I gained a lot of respect for him for that.

I'm officially in with the "troll" gang on this one. Not positive, but pretty much 95% convinced. Seriously. I mean this is some of the dumbest stuff I've seen on this site in my ten years on here. And when someone gets into double digits in conspiracy theories, you've gotta throw in the towel! Again, I can respect that!

(If you're ever in the chive, they have some HILARIOUS trolling threads)

Ignatius J is not. There's enough sense in there to make me think he's someone who believes what he's saying, and you don't get that tinfoil hat/keep the shades down vibe that trolls like to throw around.

The controversy about global warming reminds me of the troubles with the ozone layer, about 30 years ago. Of course, a number of people and countries were in denial back then, too. Until we changed things on a global scale (all UN nations) and it worked (the hole is much smaller).

A two-digit IQ (especially without a scientific education) is an awful thing (for the respective 50% of the population, and for those who have to deal with their stupidity). Unfortunately they can vote, and not only about climate change.

The controversy about global warming reminds me of the troubles with the ozone layer, about 30 years ago. Of course, a number of people and countries were in denial back then, too. Until we changed things on a global scale (all UN nations) and it worked (the hole is much smaller).

A two-digit IQ (especially without a scientific education) is an awful thing (for the respective 50% of the population, and for those who have to deal with their stupidity). Unfortunately they can vote, and not only about climate change.

Guess that top NASA PHD meteorologist must be pretty low in the IQ scale huh? Or the many other TOP LEVEL nobel prize winning scientists huh?

Sounds identical to the MOON landing hoax right?

These guys must be really stupid too and "conspiracy theorists":

Please let me know how your education compares to the above on these issues. Oh wait, you know jack compared to them. You're just some useful "idiot" that D student Al Gore who only took one class in zoology is conning for big dollars.

Once someone devolves into the moniker of troll or "conspiracy" theories without being able to argue the science, we all know they lost in advance.

Actually, your lack of understanding of the "ozone layer" scare proves your ignorance on this subject. The "scientists" misunderstand the ozone layer back then and blamed it SOLEY on CFCs whereby the media made a HUGE SCARE about everyone dying over UV radiation. Turns out, it was FAR MORE complicated than that.

Quote from article:
" These days, scientists understand a lot more about the ozone hole. They know that it’s a seasonal phenomenon that forms during Antarctica’s spring, when weather heats up and reactions between CFCs and ozone increase. As weather cools during Antarctic winter, the hole gradually recovers until next year. And the Antarctic ozone hole isn’t alone. A “mini-hole” was spotted over Tibet in 2003, and in 2005 scientists confirmed thinning over the Arctic so drastic it could be considered a hole.

Each year during ozone hole season, scientists from around the world track the depletion of the ozone above Antarctica using balloons, satellites and computer models. They have found that the ozone hole is actually getting smaller: Scientists estimate that if the Montreal Protocol had never been implemented, the hole would have grown by 40 percent by 2013. Instead, the hole is expected to completely heal by 2050."

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/ozone-hole-was-super-scary-what-happened-it-180957775/

NOTE: This article is written by a magazine that PUSHES the global warming hoax where they had to admit their knowledge of the Ozone layer was quite insufficient.

Here is a far less "favorable" article concerning the issue:

http://www.therebel.media/there_never_was_a_hole_in_the_ozone

Of note: "Ozone is created in the upper atmosphere when ultraviolet (UV) radiation, a small part of the total electromagnetic energy from the sun, strikes free oxygen molecules (O2). The molecules are split into single oxygen molecules (O), which combine with other O2 to create ozone (O3) -- a process called photo disassociation.

The ozone layer varies considerably in different regions, at different altitudes, and over time. The so-called "hole" is a region located over Antarctica in which the ozone level is lowest during the Southern Hemisphere winter. Even then, the thickness is still one-third of the global average. It is an area of "thinning" due to natural causes.

Formation of ozone occurs between 15 and 55 km above the surface with the maximum concentration between 15 and 30 km. Densities vary horizontally and vertically, so levels over any region change hourly with air movement.

The ozone layer is self-healing because as UV penetrates further into the atmosphere, it encounters more free oxygen (O2). By 15 km above the surface, over 95% of the UV has been expended in the creation of ozone.

Measurements of ozone by the British Antarctic survey team determined levels were lower than measures taken in 1957.

James Lovelock, the British scientist who proposed the Gaia hypothesis, warned against overreaction, but was ignored.

The hysteria began with the environmentalist hypothesis that CFCs were destroying ozone in the stratosphere. Molina and Rowland, who later received a Nobel Prize for their work, published results of laboratory studies showing that CFCs destroyed ozone. They didn’t simulate atmospheric conditions in the ozone layer, but that didn’t matter. Ideology took over, and they determined to prove rather than disprove the hypothesis as proper science requires.

From the beginning it was assumed, incorrectly, that the level of UV is constant, a point I made to the Parliamentary Committee. If UV radiation creates ozone and is then considered constant, you are forced to assume another cause for variation. This parallels the effective exclusion of the sun as a major cause of global warming or climate change.

A major cause of changes in the size and extent of the Antarctic ozone hole are the intense wind patterns and circulations associated with the extensive Antarctic high-pressure zone and the surrounding wind pattern known as the Circumpolar Vortex."

The only difference this time is the Global Warming SCAM is BIG MONEY compared to the Ozone one, which was just a misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Guess that top NASA PHD meteorologist must be pretty low in the IQ scale huh? Or the many other TOP LEVEL nobel prize winning scientists huh?

Sounds identical to the MOON landing hoax right?

These guys must be really stupid too and "conspiracy theorists":

Please let me know how your education compares to the above on these issues. Oh wait, you know jack compared to them. You're just some useful "idiot" that D student Al Gore who only took one class in zoology is conning for big dollars.

Once someone devolves into the moniker of troll or "conspiracy" theories without being able to argue the science, we all know they lost in advance.

I refuted your posts with other links from reputable scientists. Funny how you chose to ignore those while claiming that we had no couterarguments to you conspiracy theories.

I refuted your posts with other links from reputable scientists. Funny how you chose to ignore those while claiming that we had no couterarguments to you conspiracy theories.
I tend to have very little respect for fanatics. You should, too. They are usually a waste of time.

Most intelligent (and scientifically-educated) people tend to have a healthy dose of skepticism about everything. We don't really "believe" in most things; we consider them more likely than not, on a probabilistic (gray)scale. People who are fanatics tend to see the world in a (black or white) adversarial manner: if you are not for their belief (system), you must be against, and that's bad. Usually these people lack skepticism about their own beliefs, meaning that they will filter out anything that contradicts them (like I probably would if somebody started posting that the Sun revolves around the Earth). You have about the same chance of convincing them as talking to a wall. They have reached the cult level, where they have no doubts. They, on the other hand, will pursue you tirelessly, because they don't seek enlightenment, they seek approval, they want to feel clever and respected (mea culpa, too). Homo sapiens is a very vain animal.

Also, a person who has very strong beliefs in one area will have them in many (it's about lacking the skeptical mindset, I think). Sometimes they can be even truly intelligent, just young and naive. A lot of skepticism (especially about one's own opinions) comes with age and experience. (That's maybe why a lot of great people seem modest.) Regardless, it's a waste of time to argue with a person who just "knows"; they are not your kid, you're just wasting time for the sake of your vanity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Our country is an absolute disaster (according to the President-elect) and this fool us spending his time twittering about a Broadway cast's mean remarks and his hurt feelings from a SNL spoof. This ***** is going to have to get a thicker skin if he wants to be President, otherwise it's going to be a long 4 years. Trump is what he grabs.

Reactions: 2 users
You'll have to do better than the "argument from authority. Nobel Laureate Kary Mullis (inventor of the PCR) doesn't believe that HIV causes AIDS, for example.
A Nobel prize doesn't prove general competence and it's very subjective. Plus, by the time the person gets the Nobel, s/he's usually closer to senile plaques than to genius. The Nobel is an acknowledgement of something the person had done decades before.

You'll have to do better than the "argument from authority. Nobel Laureate Kary Mullis (inventor of the PCR) doesn't believe that HIV causes AIDS, for example.

Yeah except all your liberal commentators basically are "speaking from authority" in quoting the climate scientist figures (which are highly manipulative and fraudulent) where they keep using the "97%" stat instead of arguing scientifically about the implications/policy/etc.

Calling anyone who doesn't believe this stuff is a "denier" or "believes the moon landing is fake, gravity is fake" or some other strawman argument attempting to silence dissent.

I saw no refutation to any of the arguments made in ANY of the videos. The reality is there has been no surface temp increases since 1998, there is no correlation to surface temp/CO2 levels in the atmosphere, many times in history there were WARMER periods such as the middle ages that didn't "end life on earth", etc. There is also little evidence that increased taxes and "carbon credits" will change temperature at all but it will definitely enrich people like Al Gore.

Our country is an absolute disaster (according to the President-elect) and this fool us spending his time twittering about a Broadway cast's mean remarks and his hurt feelings from a SNL spoof. This ***** is going to have to get a thicker skin if he wants to be President, otherwise it's going to be a long 4 years. Trump is what he grabs.

Trump hits back. I appreciate that about him.

Don't see anything wrong with that. Liberals can't just go on tirades without responses back. Get used to it.

Don't see anything wrong with that. Liberals can't just go on tirades without responses back. Get used to it.
There is a difference between a reaction and a response. Trump's is usually the former.

He is an adult. "Hits back" are not always mandatory or necessary. He is also going to be the president. Good leadership does require a strong hand but not one that is always ready to strike because of a hothead. Diplomacy is also key.

I saw no refutation to any of the arguments made in ANY of the videos. The reality is there has been no surface temp increases since 1998, there is no correlation to surface temp/CO2 levels in the atmosphere, many times in history there were WARMER periods such as the middle ages that didn't "end life on earth", etc. There is also little evidence that increased taxes and "carbon credits" will change temperature at all but it will definitely enrich people like Al Gore.

I assume you didn't read the articles then. The Guardian article gave a point-by-point refutation.

Trump needs to grow up.

This is like his "he started it" response to the dueling spouse posts with Ted Cruz.

And so do the people, the media, the liberals, the "elite", whoever. They hit back. He better get used to it and stop being a whiney little p*ssy about things not being fair. His crybaby tears are going to flood the coasts faster than global warming. Is that the plan?

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.