VR exercise of making your own passage useful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZFutureDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I had a quick question on a exercise I read about last night. Its where you don't look at a passage's questions, read the passage once, twice, even three times, untimed, to really understand it. Then write your own 5-7 questions. Try to write a disguised right answer and three traps to fall into. They say it can help you identify right vs wrong language in a correct VR passage. Thoughts? Experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

well it doesn't seem like that great a strategy. for starters, "we" are nowhere near as smart as AAMC otherwise you wouldn't need to study for this test. so our question quality will be much much worse. and, the aamc doesn't trap that much. its relatively straightforward. lastly, right language vs wrong language in passage???? that doesn't even make sense. maybe in an answer choice, but i think that for the most part, that's only only help you on a minority of the questions. i'd say you're better off practicing.

Well, ya that's what I meant about the right language. But I disagree about traps. They are everywhere and looking out for them will give an immediate boost to your score. My problem for the longest time was just trying find an answer that looked good and falling into traps half the time. This is why the exercise of choosing answers to a passage without the passage itself and the strategy of predicting an answer before you look at choices. Otherwise on some questions you'll be looking at 4 answers, and 4 seems kinda right. The best strategy on the MCAT is to take the test knowing that it is set up to screw you.